Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (4%)
  • 8 (21%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (36%)

Total Voters: 787

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. BBT (@bbt) said on 4th November 2012, 17:44

9/10 for me.

Best race in a long time. Had a bit of everything. It was nice that the tyre or DRS were not mentioned every lap but still important…. nice balance.

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 4th November 2012, 17:48

The race proved Alonso and Vettel, any of them, deserve the championship. And as a bonus Kimi WON!!! a 10 in Abu Dhabi Wow unbelievable!!!!

3. billbranch (@billbranch) said on 4th November 2012, 17:49

Unfortunately, the safety car played a big role in the outcome of the race. Without the safety car, Vettel might have broken into the points but definitely would not have podiumed. As he showed after the race, he’s a boorish lout and not fit to represent F1 as champion.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 4th November 2012, 18:15

That is a bit harsh. But I agree that VET podium was a result of multiple other driver flukes that came in his hand at the end (or should I say RBR tactics in the end).
      It is a impresive result from back to 3rd but was it a impresive drive by Vettel? I say no. I saw a frustrated boy for half of the race who behavied as he should get in front- where he belongs. It was like 2012 for Alonso when he couldn’t overtake Petrov. The difference is Vettel has a great (not to say domminant) RB8 set up for the race and this year we had two DRS zones. He almost took Senna out (high chance of puncture), almost crashed into Toro Roso behind SC, overtook GRO outrack (he seems to never giveup). That makes me feel like: great result for him but not quite sure he deserved with his driving today.
      I’m far from VET fan but I do consider him as in the same ligue as RAI, HAM, ALO, MSC.
      Am I the only one that thinks WEB was driving like a nutcase today? (I am a WEB fan though)

• taurus (@taurus) said on 5th November 2012, 9:05

God forbid we get another James Hunt winning the championship then

4. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 4th November 2012, 17:52

watching Formula 1 since 1995 and I am giving this 10 out of 10. It is definetely in my top 5 races since then. It had everything. A surprise winner,safety cars, crashes, overtaking, drama,Vettel had an incident under the safety car and even Raikkonen and Button made people laugh with the team radio. pure quality and superb drives from the top 5 drivers. Senna did well after the 1st corner incident too. Delighted for the Iceman. Superb driving this from him after missing out the last 2 years

5. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 4th November 2012, 17:59

The best Abu Dhabi GP so far. It was both exciting and eventful, and frankly, I can’t imagine how it could’ve been much better. So 10/10.

Strange how Valencia and Yas Marina, two of the worst circuits in the calendar, made the two best races this year.

6. John H (@john-h) said on 4th November 2012, 17:59

It seems the worst tracks now produce the best racing… too bad COTA seems like a decent circuit!

7. Broom (@brum55) said on 4th November 2012, 18:10

Great race and great finish. 9/10. Would have been nice if Alonso could have challenged Kimi a bit more strongly.

8. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 4th November 2012, 18:11

10. It really did have everything! Drama, talkning points, incidents, some good overtakes and a fantastic conclusion. Kimi winning, those radio messages and that podium interview was simply the icing on the cake. Race of the year.

Who would have thought the two best races of 2012 would be at Valencia and Abu Dhabi? I think Bernie divided by zero somewhere along the line.

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 4th November 2012, 18:16

9,interesting that I voted Abu Dhabi & Valencia 9,who would have thought that at the start of the season?????????

10. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 4th November 2012, 18:30

One of the best races I’ve ever seen.

11. mphipps (@mphipps) said on 4th November 2012, 18:51

An epic race that reminded me – after the last couple of dull races – why I love F1. An easy 10

12. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 4th November 2012, 19:15

Safety cars gave Vettel is position… after many mistakes and a team FAIL… he is lucky he has a fast car underneath him…

He looks a bit unwashed, and rumors about his excessive partying aside, rough around the edges. If he wins the championship, the trophy belongs to Adrian Newey…

And these Europeans have fowl mouths!!!

13. Driver of the day was Kimi for me, brilliant start and managed to keep position even with 3 faster cars behind him after the second safety car restart. Also good job by Vettel who did some brilliant overtaking to get a podium finish
    never thought i would say this but Abu Dhabi is the best race this season

14. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th November 2012, 20:32

After the race, as I’ve become used to doing, I was thinking of the vote I was going to give here. I’ll keep my planned rating for later.
    I was very let down by the many crashes during the race, whether the drivers were actually at fault or not (only Perez was penalised, and I didn’t agree entirely with the decision). Hamilton was leading the race comfortably with Raikkonen easily 2nd and Alonso who could do nothing to pass Maldonado. Nothing happened, while Vettel passed the backmarkes with his DRS.
    Then Rosberg crashed with Karthikeyan: very scary, luckily there were no consequences for the drivers, but the safety car helped Vettel quite a lot.
    Then Hamilton retired: I felt incredibly sorry for him despite him not being one of my favourite drivers. His luck while leading races has been missing in a while. On the other hand, I was lucky Raikkonen was finally leading a race.
    Then Maldonado caused Webber to spin, but the stewards decided not to hand the Venezuelan any penalty. I can see the reasoning, but I felt he was at fault.
    Then Massa spun after hitting Webber: a moment of confusion, spiced things up a bit.
    Then there was that bizarre crash between Perez and Grosjean, with Webber unlucky to be hit. And again, the safety car came at a perfect moment for Vettel to take advantage of the situation. He deserved every single position he had earned, but things went too easily for him.
    Alonso completed one nice overtake, on Maldonado; Vettel did so on Button who also did so on Maldonado. The rest of the finishers had some good and some bad races, but nothing particularly entertaining.
    I was very excited all race long: however, I believed it was more due to the championship situation than the race’s thrill, and I planned to write: “my heart says 7, my head says 5″. Perhaps 5 is too harsh, after all there were plenty of good overtakes and a some crashes, who caused the result to be curious, although today I was particularly unhappy with the incidents. Vettel had the opportunity to make for a great show in recovering 21 positions but it didn’t happen. There were a few turnarounds, but only Hamilton’s was shocking enough to cause the ratings to increase; and even then, the race result looked fake.
    I’m happy for Raikkonen’s result and for Alonso’s; not happy for Alonso’s result in comparison to Vettel’s; happy for Vettel’s result. I don’t think I’ve been deceived by my personal preferences, but I’ll give this race a rating of 7 out of 10, which is more than I though initially, because perhaps I’ve been blind. Perhaps I should’ve been convinced to give it more by the percentage of people who did so, but I decided to follow my own ideas to a certain extent.

15. troutcor said on 4th November 2012, 20:45

As for the race, too many dumb mistakes by too many drivers (or even by Wrecking-Crew Webber alone) and no scrap for first (plus the retirement of the guy who should have won) make it impossible to give this a 10. That said, it was an edge-of-your seat contest, so I give it 9.
    As for Vettel, it was a great drive. But we can’t know how good he is until we see him in a car that is NOT faster than all of the others. Period.

• Palle (@palle) said on 4th November 2012, 23:03

@troutcor: But we saw that already in his first F1 race, in the US, as a stand in for Kubica in the BMW Williams: Vettel ended 7th, and took the car at least 3-4 places higher than was expected. I clearly remember that I was very impressed with him, and I hoped BMW Williams could keep him. As it turned out Red Bull saw the same as I did, and he went the right way, BMW did not.