Hamilton says he doesn’t regret Mercedes move

2012 United States Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Korea International Circuit, 2012Lewis Hamilton denies he regrets deciding to move to Mercedes for 2013 despite the team not having scored in the four races since the announcement was made.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said last month he thinks Hamilton has regretted the decision.

Asked about that in the United States Grand Prix press conference Hamilton said: “I was a little bit surprised to hear that.

“It, clearly, is absolutely not the case. But I’ve got a great team, I’ve been with them such a long time, so I’m sure everyone has emotions within the team.

“But I’m still here giving 100% to them for the last two races. And of course it’s quite emotional for me but I’m very, very happy with the decision I’ve made.”

2012 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

70 comments on Hamilton says he doesn’t regret Mercedes move

1. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 15th November 2012, 21:38

Off course, he is saying that. Either it is true or not.

…But I think it’s true. I was stunned how Martin believed in the other interview that it was only money. I might be an idealist, but I somehow doubt it. Of course, it was not about pure performance either – few would argue with that, I think. Then what?…

2. For those who believe the McLaren is fast while ignoring the efforts put-in by both drivers should think again.

Now, lets assume the raw pace of that MP-4/27 is where JB puts it on race weekends. And lets also assume the W03′s pace is where Britney puts it on race weekends. Is it not logical that Hamilton will achieve the same with the W03 as he did with the 27?

• By achieving the same you must mean to be about 10% ahead of his team mate? I’m afraid that is exactly what he’ll achieve. The only problem is that 10% ahead of Rosberg is still some 50 points behind Button at this time of the season.

Logically I don’t see how he will get as high as 6th unless Perez really falls to deliver. But I hope I am wrong.

3. Hamilton’s absolutely made the right choice. As a McLaren fan the ineptness of McLaren not looking at the bigger picture is quite staggering for a top team. They may exist to “win” but that’s races at all costs and not championships! 3 incidents have sprung to mind:

1) Kimi in 2005 Nurburgring was told to stay out despite a massively flat spotted tyre whilst leading.
    2) Lewis in 2007 China was told to stay on despite severly worn tyres in order to try and wrap the championship there and then -retired as he could barely turn when entering pits
    3) The calamity of operational/reliability problems this year (more of the former when they should’ve had a comfortable lead at the start of the season)

Looking back at the past decade, I seem to remember McLaren making pit strategy errors and ending up being beaten by Ferrari/Schumi despite having the fastest car. You’d have thought they’d learn from them!

4. Jeroen van Gemert said on 15th November 2012, 22:58

After 3 years Lewis wil realise his mistake,and he will return to Mclaren-Honda.

• I doubt there will be seat for him. Unless Perez fails to impress it will be him and Magnussen by then :-)

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 16th November 2012, 0:06

I doubt that Ham would want to go back to McLaren, especially if Whitmarsh is still in charge. If he does leave Merc after 3 years, he’ll probably go to Lotus/Renault, or Williams.

5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 15th November 2012, 23:30

It’s a good attitude from Hamilton – whatever the flaws of Mercedes, regretting the decision to join the team before he actually moves to Brackley will only make life all the more difficult and unpleasant.

• John H (@john-h) said on 15th November 2012, 23:44

I agree, it’s probably the best response he could have made to MW’s view.

I’m very, very happy with the decision I’ve made

I particularly like the fact he says “I” and not “we” at the end here, as in we, Simon Fuller and I.

6. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 16th November 2012, 4:51

I can’t say who is regretting more – Mclaren or Lewis. Because Neither Perez nor Mercedes have scored a point since that announcement.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 16th November 2012, 9:14

I don’t think he has cause for regret, sure Mercedes have been dire recently but you can always rely on them to be massively underwhelming and disappointing (China this year excluded). That’s nothing new!

8. Robbie (@robbie) said on 16th November 2012, 16:03

Just had to quickly scan the responses here and I don’t know if anyone has pointed out that even though the Merc has appeared to only go backwards from where it starts on the grid lately, NR has had MS like bad luck lately, and I’m sure in the last 4 races had he not had two technical knockouts in a row, and then found himself climbing up the back of whoever it was, he would have in fact scored some points for Merc and that soundbyte would not be being used.

I think LH HAD to move from Mac due to things that go way beyond just what car would be better for him for 2013.

9. The Limit said on 16th November 2012, 17:51

Reading between the lines, there seems to be more bitterness from Whitmarsh as opposed to Hamilton. Hamilton was very diplomatic in his choice of words, very mature. Whitmarsh was more like a 16 year old society girl who had just been dumped by the hired help! I really, really hope the Mercedes deal works out for Lewis and that comes from somebody who is far from a fan.
    I used to have alot of respect for McLaren as a team, but I am beginning to find that they do alot of talking and precious little else. Very political and very boring!

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 16th November 2012, 18:12

Yet Hamilton was not mature last year when he admitted that off-track distractions cost him on Sundays, so maybe Whitmarsh is still ticked about that kind of squandering of resources.

I personally think LH’s decision was one he had to make, and I think it will be a good challenge for him and good for we the viewing audience. It was time to move on, so to me there’s no point in either LH or MW dwelling on what is already done. If Whitmarsh is now saying things like he hopes LH realizes his mistake, then I think that just proves that LH needed to leave that atmosphere. Not at all any more about who will have the better car in 2013. It’s about much bigger stuff than that. Like enjoying going to work so you can thrive.

• MrLovaLova said on 23rd November 2012, 20:35

I don’t think McLaren can legitimately complain about “squandering resources” in 2011. Even with Hamilton’s goofs, both drivers were bringing in the points. At the end of the day, drivers standings don’t count as far as the Concorde agreement is concerned, constructor’s standings count, and there was no way McLaren was gonna catch RB. Coming 2′nd in the constructors standings was the best that they could do as a team, and Hamilton did a good job when it came to getting them there. Yes, his bonuses did get affected because of his goofs,but the damage to the team was not that great.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 17th November 2012, 13:38

Spot on mate ! I have lost interest in Mclaren after their periodic goof ups .. I find it a little too strange that it happens only to LH everytime .. and yep they talk talk and talk . MW should be sacked. Hopefully Lewis can bring some improvement to Merc even next year if not win races