Rate the race: 2012 United States Grand Prix

2012 United States Grand Prix

Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, Circuit of the Americas, 2012What did you think of the United States Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (0%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (2%)
  • 7 (8%)
  • 8 (24%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (31%)

Total Voters: 701

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

213 comments on Rate the race: 2012 United States Grand Prix

1. I’ve been very skeptical of this track because of the esses in sector 1 being more or less copied from Silverstone and Suzuka and the slow corners near the end being ridiculous, but it provided plenty of places to close in and perhaps attempt a move, aside from turn 1 and turn 12. The tire choice was fantastic, even though they were conservative there wasn’t an abundance of marbles taking away grip from those who went off line. I can accept boring 1 stop tires if they allow the drivers to race aggressively without the worries of marbles or excessive wear and overheating.

2. RedBullRacer (@redbullracer) said on 18th November 2012, 22:29

This was the race we’ve all been waiting for, surely? Fantastic, clean battles throughout the pack, an exciting battle for the lead, not too much strategy-at-the-expense-of-real-racing, only 2 DNFs, hardly any “luck” based on someone else’s mechanical retirement (OK, so most of them moved up a spot thanks to Webber’s alternator failure, but it wasn’t a huge deciding factor), no safety car, no dangerous driving – and to top it all off, we got the ultimate podium of F1’s best drivers and the WDC goes down to the wire. Regardless of who you support, you had to love this one. Thank you Austin!

3. Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 18th November 2012, 22:35

Lewis Hamilton wins (what might be his last win for a while) in my home race, at a great circuit with fantastic battles all race, and Vettel fails to secure the championship, and the title will go all the way to Brazil.

4. PaulT (@pault) said on 18th November 2012, 22:36

The Pirelli stetsons on the podium were a small but inspired touch and will certainly have helped make the race (and F1) memorable to US fans.

Can’t remember if this has been done before (I mean swapping the traditional baseball caps for some other headgear with a “local” flavour).

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 18th November 2012, 22:53

What next? Turbans in India? In the USA of all places, i would have thought the baseball cap was the most apporpriate!

5. Ogmf12012 said on 18th November 2012, 22:56

Dear Santa

Alll I want for Christmas is a Pirelli cowboy hat

Oliver

6. Calum (@calum) said on 18th November 2012, 23:14

It was great, but not a 10 or a 9. It was not as good as Abu Dhabi or the Canadian Grand Prix, races I rated with the aforementioned scores, but it was thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. About as much as you could ask for from a dry race with no safety cars.

7. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 18th November 2012, 23:18

It took him 13 years, but Herman Tilke finally seems to have gotten it right. Great cricuit, producing a great race! Before the rce there were worries overtaking would be hard. So me and my friends decided to keep a count, we quit after lap 3 …

A solid 9 for me, so glad Hamilton won the race and that the gap between Alonso and Vettel is managable. I’m a Vettel fan and an Alonso hater, but I seriously hope Alonso take sthe title in Brazil, imo he just earns it more this year

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 20th November 2012, 0:22

Where have you been hiding, Herman Tilke came in AFTER the track was designed, he may or may not have made some subtle changes to improve run off areas etc but he definitely did NOT design the track.

8. Mariano (@mariano) said on 18th November 2012, 23:22

An amazing race and an amazing Hamilton made my day!

9. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 18th November 2012, 23:24

And for the first time since Hamiltons WDC year he’s beaten Webber in the points. Well done!
    Who was saying that this was a rubbish season and that it was all over weeks/months ago? There were a lot of you, you know who you are. But this has been a corker in my opinion; some excellent performances, lots of winners, new tracks, old enemies, plenty of tactics, just as many foul-ups, and a fight to the last race for one of two potential triple crowns.
    That’ll do me jimmy!

10. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 18th November 2012, 23:38

6 and +1 for H.A.M. win = 7. I think it’s well deserved, this race will no doubt recieve the highest rating for this season – or maybe not, fingers crossed for Brazil !

11. JenniKate (@jennikate) said on 18th November 2012, 23:48

The slippery track, especially in the early stages made for some tense, exciting moments. Every time cars came close there was that real feeling that the drivers were holding them right on the edge – and yet there was barely any contact and lots of wheel to wheel racing. Add to that a truly interesting and colourful track layout, battles & strong races through the whole field, sunshine and the championship going down to the wire – had to be a 10!

12. xabregas (@xabregas) said on 19th November 2012, 0:00

Gave a 10, first because it was a great race with plenty of excitment, second because it was packed and third because of the efort the americans put in to have F1 back again in the US.

13. Wavering between a 9 and a 10. Thinking a 9, as I don’t think you could ever rate a race a 10, but this is up there with my favorite GP’s ever, having started watching in the 80’s.

Great show throughout, wonderful track, fair clean racing, overtakes galore and drivers driving flat out till the end, not worrying about the tires falling off a cliff. This is what F1 should be.

14. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 19th November 2012, 0:14

Was a solid race, gave it a 7, but 10/10? Where are those folks who save their 10/10’s for when something really amazing happens? And being a motorcycle racing fan, this race provided me with around 70% of what any given WSBK race gives me in terms of excitement, so I’m saving my 10/10 for something special.

15. dot_com (@dot_com) said on 19th November 2012, 0:19

Great race. Pure entertainment throughout. I think the US did a brilliant job of putting on a fantastic show, and the drivers went all out from start to finish. Probably race of the year, for me. And we finally got that vettel/hamilton/alonso podium!!