Which drivers will say farewell to F1 after Brazil?

Debates and polls

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber C31, Jerez, 2012Michael Schumacher start his final F1 race in this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.

It’s always a pity to see a career reach its end. But at least Schumacher knows about his impending retirement. Others who are unsure whether they will be back in an F1 car after Sunday.

A sad consequence of the way F1 works is that drivers’ careers sometimes come to an end without the fanfare they deserve.

F1’s longest-serving Rubens Barrichello started his final Grand Prix in his home race last year, but at the time it was yet to be confirmed that he wasn’t returning.

Similarly when Jarno Trulli started his 252nd Grand Prix in the same race he was expected to return for Caterham this year. But over the winter he lost his seat to Vitaly Petrov.

This year doubt has been cast on the future of several drivers’ places in their current teams. Some teams will be looking for a change, others will be coveting drivers who bring more lucrative sponsors – and one might be about to disappear entirely.

Kamui Kobayashi

Kobayashi made his F1 race debut at Interlagos in 2009. His performance there and in Abu Dhabi persuaded Peter Sauber to give him a seat at Sauber for 2010.

He stood on the podium for the first time in his home race at Suzuka last month but he may find himself out of a seat at Sauber. Nico Hulkenberg will join the team next year and GP2 driver Esteban Gutierrez is strongly tipped to join him.

Bruno Senna

Williams’ desire to give track time to test driver Valtteri Bottas has seen Senna give up 14 appearances in first practice so far this year while team mate Pastor Maldonado hasn’t missed any.

That hasn’t helped Senna’s efforts to cut the qualifying deficit to his team mate. Senna may be only 14 points behind Maldonado in the championship, but he has not run as close to the front of the field as often as Maldonado has.

That and the support Bottas enjoys within the team means Senna’s future looks uncertain.

Heikki Kovalainen

Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Kovalainen has driven well for Caterham this year, much as he has done for the same team in the previous two seasons.

Even so, there have been rumours about his future, connected to the team’s potential loss of tenth place in the constructors’ championship to Marussia and the significant loss of income they may suffer as a result.

Asked about the situation in India, Kovalainen said: “Nothing’s been signed for next [year] for myself yet.”

“Personally, my target and my focus is at each race weekend for our team it?s quite important that we try to regain that tenth position back from Marussia. It?s not going to be easy but I think we have to do whatever it takes to be in a position to do that if a freak race happens again.

“So, the main focus is on that and regarding the future with the team and with Tony, we haven?t decided yet. I think Tony knows what he gets with me but then he?s evaluating other options I think to see what he wants to do. And I?m waiting.

“In the meantime, of course, my management is also working. There?s nothing really to report but the main thing I think for myself and really for our team has to be to keep pushing to get that tenth position back, it?s quite crucial.”

Charles Pic

Pic’s two predecessors at Marussia (formerly Virgin) both lost their seats after single seasons. Last year Pic was announced as the replacement for Jerome D’Ambrosio barely three hours after the chequered flag fell on the season finale.

Max Chilton has been tipped as a potential replacement for Pic having driven for the team at the young drivers’ test and in first practice at Abu Dhabi. He is backed by insurance firm Aon: his father is a board member and they also back his brother Tom’s team in the World Touring Car Championship.

Pedro de la Rosa and Narain Karthikeyan

De la Rosa has a contract to drive for HRT next year but after the team was put up for sale will it even be on the grid?

Given that, doubts have to be raised whether he or Narain Karthikeyan will be race again in F1 after this weekend.

Over to you

At present 14 of the 24 seats potentially available for next year have been filled:

Which drivers do you think will not be returning after this weekend’s race? And who will arrive to take their places? Have your say in the comments.

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team, Caterham/LAT

147 comments on Which drivers will say farewell to F1 after Brazil?

1 2 3
  1. sozavele (@formula-1) said on 21st November 2012, 16:37

I hate to say it but I don’t think Heikki weill be here next year.

• Jayfreese (@) said on 21st November 2012, 17:06

Yep, sad for Heikki (drives better than ever), sad for Kamui (no Japanese driver next year if so), sad for Bruno (Brazilian drivers get rarer), sad for HRT (the whole team). The only good thing is that Pic is likely to stay in F1 thanks to his driving ability and ‘his’ (LVMH) financial backing. So, 6 farewell this weekend?!

• Brian (@bealzbob) said on 22nd November 2012, 13:34

That would be a sad loss. He’s good enough to be in a better car. OK he didn’t cover himself in glory at McLaren earlier in his career but you can’t help thinking Force India or Sauber could do with having his abilities.

As for the rest. I’ll definitely miss Kobayashi if Sauber go with Gutierrez. But Pic and Senna can fade away into obscurity for all I care.

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 22nd November 2012, 16:40

I have the same feeling. Last year Caterham (then Lotus) offered him a multiple year deal (two or three), but Heikki only wanted a single season (to keep his options open for 2013). And before Singapore, the contract was apparently ready between him and the team, but two things happened: Heikki’s manager/management team managed to make Tony Fernandez angry and the team lost it’s 10th place in the standings.

According to confirmed rumours, Heikki has also been in talks with at least Force India (and he was on their rather long short-list a while back) and possibly Sauber.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 22nd November 2012, 19:23

If I remember Heiki didn´t do much beside Hamilton at Mclarean, so I fail to see why any top 4 team will want him…

2. Armchair Expert (@armchairexpert) said on 21st November 2012, 16:44

Charles Pic supposedly will be confirmed at Caterham this week, so…

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 21st November 2012, 16:50

According to James Allen: “#f1 Colleagues in Spain telling me HRT HQ is closing, all staff have redundancy notices. Sounds like that’s it for them. 11 teams in 2013?”

It’s looking increasingly bad for them, really. But, well, I guess no one thought they’d get this far, so they could surprise us again (by selling the team and saving it).

• @fer-no65
      I dont think it will be sold for 1 euro, nor that either team member would buy it. So a second “Brawn GP” is out of the question, but maybe someone who wants to jump in to F1 without all the negotiations with Bernie/FIA/Whiting/or who ever decides this… If I remember correctly, there was another team who wanted to join in 2010, and I remember something about Villeneuve collecting money for a F1 team a few years ago. So 12 teams are definetly possible.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 21st November 2012, 18:53

@bag0 To be honest, I don’t expect anyone to buy HRT. The fees have gone up, and looking at the other newer teams and how much they are struggling to battle the old teams (even with reasonably good development and interesting partnerships), no one with a bit of sense would spend money on something that will probably fail too.

• F1 FunAttic said on 22nd November 2012, 6:53

prodrive might.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 22nd November 2012, 7:52

I am afraid you are right there @fer-no65, on the one hand giving the whole team redundancy notice can be part of making the deal more attractive to potential buyers (they can then rehire them without having to take former obligations on themselves). On the other hand there’s really not that much of HRT that has any worth. The buildings are rented and in a place where its hard to maintain F1 quality engineers. They have bee in the sport for 3 years now, but that counts for little, as they have never been inside the top 10 to earn some rights on money. And it will need a gigantic investment to even get a car done up for next year.

• Ferrari should buy it so that they have their own torro rosso that can slow down Ferrari’s competition when being lapped.

• Gridl0k said on 22nd November 2012, 1:54

Villeneuve might have some trouble getting his backer on the phone, chap by the name of saad gaddafi.

• Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 22nd November 2012, 20:16

@fer-no65

That team was Stefan GP. They bought the chassis, engine & gearbox from the Toyota team that pulled out the year before. They also signed Nakajima & Villeneuve with Maldonardo as reserve. They tried to enter the 2010 & 2011 championships but the FIA rejected both times.

There are many reason floating around why they were never accepted but it’s a shame because it could have been a Brawn GP story because the rumor was that Toyota had a really good car for the 2010 season. Such a waste that it never got to even drive round a track in testing trim.

If HRT is out then we really need at least another team in F1. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t try & bring BMW or Toyota back for the 2014 season if the new engine rules go as planned or even VW under the Audi name.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:01

@bobby-balboa I guess that was a reply to @bag0

By the way, I think StefanGP had nothing to do with Villeneuve. Villeneuve was behind another proyect…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd November 2012, 7:21

@bobby-balboa

You are helping a myth survive here Bobby.

Stefan never bought anything from Toyota, nor did he sign any drivers. The FIA did not accept his entry because as a matter of fact he had neither the facilities, nor the capital to build them nor access to such finance. Stefan GP was a big bluff.

4. I think Bottas will race alongside Maldonado at Williams next year, so unless Senna can use his sponsorships to get a seat at somewhere like Caterham, I don’t see him racing next year.

I hope Kovalainen does race next year because I think he deserves to be in Formula One. He’s a good solid driver and I hope he (or Petrov) somehow get 12th or higher this weekend, if that 10th place in the constructors determines whether Kovalainen stays or not.

As I’m a big fan of Kobayashi, I’m preying that he doesn’t lose his seat, especially to Gutierrez of all people. Perez has been the better driver at Sauber this year, but the gap between them isn’t that much. It certainly isn’t big enough to merit Perez going to McLaren and Kobayashi dropping out of Formula One altogether. I think that Sauber kind of don’t want to give Gutierrez a drive if they can help it, because I think they would have signed him up already if they really did. He’s certainly not ready for Formula One, and Kobayashi is a better option every day of the week.

With Pic, I really have no idea what will happen with him. For de la Rosa and Karthikeyan, de la Rosa will be at HRT next year if the team is there. As for Karthikeyan, he already surprised me with his returns last year and this year, so I’m not going to be surprised if HRT keep him next year. He isn’t really a bad driver, he’s okay in my opinion.

• Harry (@harry1990) said on 21st November 2012, 19:50

Why so anti Gutierrez? Kobayashi has underwhelmed during his time in F1 save for a number of reckless passes, Gutierrez however although he didn’t live up to expectations in GP2 this year still has a far better record than a vast number of previous graduates

• Gutierrez however although he didn’t live up to expectations in GP2 this year still has a far better record than a vast number of previous graduates

That doesn’t mean he deserves a drive. The level of talent in GP2 this year was possibly the lowest ever in the short history of the series. Gutierrez really should have won or come close to the title, instead he struggled to beat his team mate. He didn’t show much of himself at the young drivers test and FP1 in India either.

Kobayashi has been inconsistent this year, but he’s delivered many great results for Sauber. I think he’s a solid driver who deserves to be in Formula One, and considering his popularity, he would be a big loss to the sport.

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 21st November 2012, 23:54

I dont think there has been a gap between Perez and Kobayashi to suggest one has been better than other. They have been closely matched more often than not, and Kamui is ahead on the quali head to heads. I rate both of them, and both deserve to stay in F1. It is obvious that Perez’ 3 podiums this year has been noticed by the paddock, but you have to admit that a large part of that success was down to perfect strategy from Sauber. Kamui could have some good results as well, but thing didnt go his way when he did have the pace. I agree that there isnt enough of a justification for Perez to go to Mclaren and Kamui to drop out.

But then again, this is the fickle nature of sport in general. In the case, its all about funding.

It would be great to see somebody buy out HRT. Its sad to see people who race for the passion of racing leave the sport.

5. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 21st November 2012, 16:59

No mention of Petrov in this article? General consensus seems to be that Pic will go to Caterham, which would put Vitaly out of a seat & I can’t think of anyone who would take him. Supposedly out of cash too

• the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 21st November 2012, 18:16

Υeah, I was sure to see him.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 21:01

@ryanwilliams – Petrov has been beating Kovalainen a lot of late, and Kovalainen has admitted that this could be his final season in Formula 1. Meanwhile, Petrov’s manager says he has agreed in principle to a contract for next year, but his Caterham contract prevents him from physically signing anything until after the Brazilian Grand Prix. I have heard that he could go to Williams alongside Bottas, with Maldonado replacing Grosjean at Lotus.

• Kimi4WDC said on 21st November 2012, 22:46

Perfect move for Lotus. In my opinion.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 22:59

The question is then where Grosjean would go then. It woudn’t be Caterham, because I’ve heard that Total are pushing for Pic to take a seat there, paving the way for PDVSA to sponsor Lotus. It looks like Grosjean would be out of a drive, then.

• @prisoner-monkeys – i really dont understand what good would be of Maldanado over Grosjean in Lotus. Both are in the same league.Fast,young but Error prone

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd November 2012, 3:26

It depends on what the sponsors want. I’ve heard Total want to back Charles Pic, so Grosjean will need to find a sponsor to keep his seat.

• That would be sad. Yes, I have been wondering as to why there has been no announcement regarding Grosjean at Lotus since it was expected that his contract will be extended (and I think he deserves it). It’s time for the finale and still no announcement from the team means they are looking at other options which will be sad.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 22nd November 2012, 19:31

@prisoner-monkeys I don´t think Boullier would have said this is Grosjean were on his way out:

But team boss Boullier told French-language f1i.com: “We believe in him.

“For us he is a long-term project and we consider him to be similar to (what McLaren did with) Lewis Hamilton.

“He has shown he is able to do superb racing, but then of course there were some errors that sometimes cost him very dearly.

“More recently he has been a bit more cautious and has been building up again, but I am sure that in 2013 we will see the real Romain,” he added.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 22nd November 2012, 7:04

Maldonado to Lotus? WOw.

6. I’m hoping a top driver grabs that Vacant Force India seat. $50m infusion…the Hulk might be kicking himself right now.

That being said, who available should fill it? Hopefully not Senna, they already have a driver who merely decent; Di Resta. they need someone who is quick and inspiring, except those who might fill the seat are a bit young. De costa, Nasr, and Frijns would be great but theyre so young. They have Bianchi, but he does not impress me anymore, too many years as a “young driver.” same with Valsecchi. Both of those guys are destined for the dust-bin to me. 5 years of GP2 for Valsecchi….and Bianchi is a sore loser who has spent 3 years or so testing for teams with no race seat. bleh.

• I’ve decided it should be Felipe Nasr in the Force India seat.

• William Brierty said on 21st November 2012, 19:57

What?!!!!!! Nasr was a joke this year in GP2! Granted, he was a rookie, but he is waaaaaaay too inexperienced to even get close to an F1 seat. Valsecchi will almost certainly turn up at Caterham alongside Kovalainen, and that leaves Bianchi alongside Di Resta, which I think would be a good line-up. Frijns will probably land a Sauber reserve role and probably compete, and dominate, in GP2 next year, ready to replace Gutierrez for 2014; who will really struggle next to the Hulk next year.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 23:01

I find it funny that you are so insistent that Valsecchi will race for Caterham given that it is the first time I’ve heard anything about it and most sources seem to believe that the team’s line up with feature Charles Pic and/or Giedo van der Garde next year.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 21st November 2012, 20:02

Frijns!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 21:03

@d3v0 – I’ve heard that Senna approached Force India with over ten million dollars in sponsorship, but the team were “unconvinced” by his performances this year.

7. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 21st November 2012, 17:03

I think F1’s average age will come down drastically next year as the three oldies will not be seen – Pedro, Michael and Narain.

I tend to believe the rumors that HRT will not be seen unless bought by someone else. And if someone else is buying it, expect some unexpected faces (those with more money than driving skill) in those cars.

I have my doubts about Force India as well. Nothing is well with Mallya and Mr. Roy also has a lot of mess. Add Paul Di Resta’s strange message on radio at Austin, I think something is definitely up.

And if four seats disappear, I don’t think any new face other than Bottas and Esteban will come.

Summary – Outgoing drivers – Michael, Narain, Pedro, Senna, Kobayashi, Heikki or Paul di Resta.
    Incoming drivers – Bottas and Esteban

8. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 21st November 2012, 17:06

It’s just so frustrating and annoying, that drivers like those mentioned above, will most possibly lose their seats.
    Kovalainen developed himself into a real solid driver, but unfortunately his skills are almost invisible at the back of the pack.
    Kobayashi is one of, if not the best driver when it comes to driving in traffic, and overtaking cleanly (I know that he made a few mistakes this year, but still).
    Senna proved to be quite constant, but he should be faster. The point scoring finishes are impressive, but the many 9th and 10th positions aren’t, as it looks, that the car could perform better. If Maldonados speed and Sennas consistency could be united in a single driver, well, that would be a jackpot for Sir Frank. I guess, although the money he brings in, he will have to leave Williams, but a 4th different team in his 4th season looks still possible for him, somewhere…
    Pic looked strong in some races, but compared to Glock, and especially compared to di Grassi and d’Ambrosio he didn’t do anything special. If he has the money, he will find a seat, maybe at Caterham, as you mentioned, but I would not miss him too much (sorry, if it sounds a bit harsh).
    de la Rosa is an average driver, but an excellent car developer with tremendous experience, however, the financial situation of HRT could make him easily sidelined despite the fact, that he has a contract for 2013 as well.
    Karthikeyan had his time, he was promising in 2005, now he is just sitting in for his money, which also could grant him the seat.

So, back to the frustration. Kovalainen and Kobayashi definetley deserves a seat, but let’s just not forget about the losses of the last year. We don’t have Sutil, Alguersuari and Heidfeld (yea, I know you don’t miss him, well, I do) anymore, although they raced fine. But if it’s all about the money…

9. James (@jamesf1) said on 21st November 2012, 17:11

I dont think Grosjean can consider himself safe just yet. I realse that Eric Boulier is both his manager and the team principal. Given that fact, I’m amazed that he hasnt been retained for next season yet. In all likeliness, he will be, but why hasnt it been confirmed sooner? Maybe all of his collisions this year have seriously annoyed the team? Perhaps Lotus will sign Kovalainen, to reaffirm their link with Angry Birds, and give the team a pretty quick line up. Or maybe they’ll gamble with someone else. Senna again maybe? He brings money to the table.

Force India look to be in troubled waters. Mallaya has said he’s going to put a pile of money into the team, but where is this money coming from? His alcohol businesses (and also team sponsers) are in deep trouble financially, and are being bought out by rivals. His airline is heading down the pan too. I think I read on Joe Saward’s blog that it could even be forced to cease trading soon and its license revoked? Sahara, the other stake holder in the team, are in a spot of bother too apparantly. On that basis, unless a buyer/investor is found for the team, they could be in trouble too, and perhaps Paul di Resta might find himself without a seat. However, assuming that money is somehow magically pulled out a hat somewhere, I still think Di Resta is far from safe. Why hasnt he been confirmed yet?

Sadly, I do think that Senna will be shown the door at Williams. I think he is as every bit as good as Maldonado, but he unfortunately has been compromised by the team running Valterri Bottas exclusively in his car. Given that the difference between Senna and Maldonado is only 14 points, I’d say that is a remarkable achievement given the circumstances.

Catherham, it’s safe to say that Petrov is out, given that he hasnt any money to bring to the table. For the same reason, Heikki is probably out – unless he can do something special in Brazil (even with weather giving him a hand). The team could do with keeping him on, he’s carried the team to where it is today, but F1 doesnt run on sentiment.

Marussia, Glock has secured his seat after that 12th in Singapore, although one has to wonder how much more he can tollerate pedalling that Marussia around. Pic has done pretty good this year, and could probably be there next year. It just depends how much Max Chilton’s father has to say about that, in terms of money that he can persuade Aon to give.

HRT – anybodys guess. I reckon someone will buy them out, but I doubt that the drivers will be here next year. Pedro is no spring chicken and despite his excellent car setup ability, I doubt they’ll take him on. Karthikeyan… well, I think he’ll leave the sport with the very unfortuante recover of being the lowest classified driver ever in a race.

• Maldonado has been much more impressive than Senna this year, he might have had brain fade on multiple occasions but he has been so much faster than Senna. Without accidents or reliability issues when he was in decent positions in the top 6 he would have a lot more points. Senna on the other hand has at no point looked like troubling the frontrunners which Maldonado has done on several occasions. I am starting to come round to the idea that Senna is in Formula One primarily because of his surname, that Williams is a decent car and he should have extracted more pace from it.

• Fernando Cruz said on 21st November 2012, 20:57

Maldonado was in his second year with the team, so he should have had more consistency in races and a lot more points. Bruno was only in his first year in the team and also had the disadvantage of losing 14 FP1, but he could have done better if it wasn’t for his problems with 2012 tyres, the same problem that also hurt Jenson Button. As it was his season was badly compromised by poor qualifying and consequently much less points than he was capable to collect had he started higher up for the races. It’s hard to judge what lost him more points, but losing FP1 was certainly costly both to him and to the team.

I’m sure that in 2013 he can recover the qualifying form of 2011 (4 times in Q3), as tyres will be different and he won’t accept to lose any FP1 anymore. Then he will be able to win races if he has a really good car.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 21st November 2012, 21:09

He keeps it on the track and doesnt cause trouble. He also makes it past the first lap. If it wasnt for Venezualan cash, Maldonado would more likely be dropped IMO. If you take away Maldonado’s win, what has he got?

• Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 21st November 2012, 22:06

Excellent qualifying results and race pace?

• Andréas Kühne said on 22nd November 2012, 19:25

An error prone driver and a hazard. His overtaking are always very risky. He even almost managed to crash into Senna in the USGP. When both Maldonado and Grossjean are among the top ten after qualifying, there will probably be a crash around turn one.

Senna is the more skilled of the two and Maldonado is the risk taker.

• Adriaantje (@sutil2013) said on 21st November 2012, 20:42

“Heikki is probably out – unless he can do something special in Brazil (even with weather giving him a hand). The team could do with keeping him on, he’s carried the team to where it is today, but F1 doesnt run on sentiment.”

And exactly where is that? At the back of the pack, seriously struggling to keep ahead of Marussia. When Marussia gets KERS next year they will be ahead of them.

To sum it up: Kovalainen is matched by paydriver Petrov on race pace and has contributed nothing worthwhile with all his expericience to get the team further up the grid. On top of that, now that he is under pressure, he starts making errors (spinning in qualifying etc.). Very unimpressive imho. He wont be missed by me. I hope Caterham makes a wise decision. Pic should reconsider his move also, if its not already a done deal.

I suggest Caterham picks two paydrivers out of these three: Van der Garde, Pic, Senna (who I think will be told to leave Williams to be replaced by an overhyped Bottas). All three are good enough to drive there and all bring some nice money too.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 21:06

@sutil2013 – There’s two ways of looking at that: either Petrov is better than first expected, or Kovalainen is worse than first expected.

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 21st November 2012, 23:16

Yes. Trulli’s inability to drive the Team Lotus car without tailor made power steering made Kovalainen look much faster than he maybe was. Petrov was relativly fast at Renault but made rookie errors. Now Petrov is settled in the Catterham team and has more experience he is starting to challenge Heikki. Neither are top drivers though. Put Hamilton and Kovalainen in the same car again and the difference would be the same as in 2008.

10. David (@neiana) said on 21st November 2012, 17:11

One can dream, right?

How about HRT being bought out, or infused with that Chinese money + Chinese driver?

Mallya with his last ditch effort in SFI? Bring Heikki :P

Move Kobayashi to Williams and let Pic keep his seat.

Bring in the new drivers in 2014!

I can dream, right? :P

11. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 21st November 2012, 17:17

I´m not expecting big changes in the field.
    It will be so unfair if Heikki doesn´t get a seat for next year, though it seems that way.
    Koba seemed pretty confident about his prospects for 2013 and between lines it seemed to me as he has his future sorted out.
    I think Petrov will have a third driver role next year and return in 2014 because of the Sochi GP.
    So I´m guessing:
    HRT – doors closed
    Marussia – Glock and Chilton
    Caterham – Senna and Pic
    Sauber – Gutierrez and Hulk
    Force India – Di Resta and Kobayashi
    Williams – Bottas and Pastor

Alguersuari sweared that he had a seat for 2013 I just don´t see where?!

12. marussia , caterham and HRT have not closed in on the midfield at all…. Why not have a single competitive F1 team rather than 3 poor teams …booring to watch

• I think Caterham have the greatest chance of breaking into the midfield and Marussia are looking fairly decent also. HRT however are highly unlikely to ever make it out of Q1 and it is looking increasingly likely that they will be off the back row of the grid fairly soon – when the team goes bankrupt.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 21st November 2012, 19:07

They couldnt really have joined at a worse time. The established teams had already got on top of the regulations from 2009 and the established teams agreed to a RRA (which is just an agreement at the end of the day…) rather than a budget cap. They also used Cosworth engines in the first year, who had not been in the sport for a few years until then, and they werent great engine in 2010 (or are they now really…).

I’d say 2014 would be the best opportunity for Marussia and Catherham (and HRT/whoever buys them) to close the gap. I’m sure they’ve probably put a lot aside to build a decent car for then, as the rules from this year to next arent changing a great deal.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 22nd November 2012, 15:56

But the problem is Cosworth haven’t mentioned whether they’re developing a 2014-spec engine. Assuming PURE never actually happens (I don’t think they’ve actually completed much actual hardware), what are they going to use?

Granted, they could just use customer engines from Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault (especially as the engine cost is capped) but I don’t see any of them having the capacity to support further teams, despite Renault’s assurances.

13. I fully expect Senna to be kicked out of Williams for Bottas; whether he will get a seat elsewhere I don’t know. As much as his consistency is mentioned and how he has scored much more frequently than Maldonado I just haven’t been impressed by him, whereas I have by Maldonado.

• Fernando Cruz said on 21st November 2012, 21:05

Yes, but in race pace Senna is as fast as Maldonado and often even faster. If he didn’t lose any FP1 he probably would have qualified better and consequently he would have much better results. With 2013 tyres and as much practice time as his rivals I’m sure he can be a frontrunner if he has a goos car, at least as much as Maldonado.

• I agree, but I simply haven’t been impressed by him. For example, Maldonado out-qualified Vettel in Singapore after Vettel was fully expected to take pole. In qualifying at least Maldonado is astonishingly good and I can’t help but think if he’d just been given a quick enough car for pole position he could be as dominant as Vettel.

• Fernando Cruz said on 22nd November 2012, 0:21

Yes, in qualifying Maldonado even reminds me Ayrton Senna. I think he is maybe as fast as a Vettel or a Hamilton in a single lap. In Spa he was also superb, beating Raikkonen’s Lotus with an inferior Williams. I think it is more a mental thing, also Prost was never as quick as Ayrton, or Jenson as quick as Lewis.

• Really? Because it’s not as though Maldonado blew away Barichello in qualy last year (admittedly, Maldonado’s first season). I think a more rational explanation is that this year’s Williams is a rocket, Maldonado is a reasonably quick driver, and Bruno is just slow. A lovely guy, as they all are, but simply no match for his team mate.

• Minardi (@gitanes) said on 22nd November 2012, 13:13

Agreed – wouldn’t you think that Alonso in this year’s Williams could very well still be fighting for the championship or even already sewn it up? I really do think the car’s been that good. Maldonado certainly looks supreme in qualifying but his resume didn’t really indicate such incredible raw pace.

• Fernando Cruz said on 22nd November 2012, 15:22

Simply no match for his team mate losing 14 FP1 in his first season with the team, while Pastor is in his second. But I agree Pastor may always be a little bit quicker in a single lap, just like Hamilton was always a little bit quicker than Button. That doesn’t mean Button is a slow driver, as in races he can be as quick as Hamilton many times. Senna is also as quick as Maldonado in races, sometimes even quicker.

Williams is not a winning car, as it could only fight for a podium here and there, with many highs and lows, just like Sauber. Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari and Lotus are competitive almost everywhere and much better than the Williams, as they are real rockets even in qualifying, while Williams’ s DRS is no match even for a Sauber and a Force India.

• @gitanes – the Williams has been a quick car (definetly quicker than their lowly 8th in the constructors’ suggests) but over the course of the season the Ferrari has been a faster car. I doubt Alonso would still have been a championship contender had he been driving the FW34: I think in actual fact Vettel would’ve wrapped up the championship by now. Sure though, the Williams is a vastly improved car over last years.

• Eleanore (@leucocrystal) said on 22nd November 2012, 11:00

You’re kidding, right? I’m no great fan of Vettel, but he’s at least a clean driver. Maldonado may be quick over a single lap, but from what I’ve seen this season, he’s still a clumsy racer.

• @leucocrystal – I am a fan of Vettel yet I concede that originally he too wasn’t very good in traffic. With practice though he has managed to improve his race craft vastly and is now making impressive, clean overtakes like the one on Alonso in Monza ’11.

I honestly think Maldondo is unfairly treated: he is a quick driver and he has kept his nose clean in the last few races. Sure, at the start of the season he was calamatous (I think he’s actually set the record for the most penalties reieved in a season!) but he has been much better as of late. All he needs is more time and I think he can mature into a pretty good racer just as Vettel did.

• Eleanore (@leucocrystal) said on 22nd November 2012, 21:48

@vettel1 Maybe so, maybe not. I still see his approaches even to fairly simple corners as late and quite clumsy on the apex (he tends to turn in late and sharply, which is good for warming tires in quali, not so good for racing cleanly and not having to fight the car so much), but that may be a matter of taste in driving style, I’m not sure. (Also, I’m no fan of Vettel’s continued fondness of chopping across an opponent’s nose, often a bit earlier than would be considered wise, but again, maybe that’s just me.)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 22nd November 2012, 7:09

Word in the streets (in Brazil) say the same. Senna will be out. As of late, Brazilian media is putting some effort in inflating Razia’s profile and everybody expects him to drive an F1 sooner than later.

14. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 21st November 2012, 17:28

A few months ago people were tipping Kovalainen for a Ferrari seat, now we’re facing the prospect of him entering his final grand prix weekend, i would think it would be crazy for Caterham not to resign him, to me this roumer comes as a massive surprise I can’t get my head round it but maybe I’m missing something or maybe he’s missing something they need more than talent.

As for Kobayashi and Bruno Senna they have been largely anonymous this year and that’s the worst thing to be, it’s better to be contraversial and crashing into everything (Grosjean, Maldonado) than be simply anonymous, you have got to fight tooth and nail to gain headlines. Yes they are top drivers but in a field of top drivers you have got to do special to stand out, something which these two and with respect the two toro Rosso drivers have seldom managed but fortunately for them toro Rosso give their drivers two years so they have another chance to shine.

Charles Pic to Caterham? This seems..for want of a better word..random..

As for HRT, best of luck guys. If they do make it next year I hope they give Ma a chance, i think he would appreciate it more than anybody else and it would be good for the Chinese Grand Prix attendance too.

• Lew Numba 1 (@lew-numba-1) said on 21st November 2012, 20:31

I definitely still believe Heikki is a way better option than Massa at Ferrari, but I think you’re right — there must be something else teams are looking for besides talent!

If Caterham doesn’t sign him, they’re hopelessly dumb.

• A few months ago pretty much anyone who was out of contract in 2013 was linked to a Ferrari seat. I highly doubt it was ever serious, and probably just an Internet rumor started by the copy & paste F1 “news” sites. That’s the trouble with Internet, news has just gotten increasingly more unreliable :(

15. I think Senna wont be in F1 next year which is a great same considering his consistency this season over Maldonado.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 21:55

@colm – It’s easier to teach a faster driver like Maldonado to be consistent than it is to teach a consistent driver like Senna to be fast.

• @prisoner-monkeys – I agree. If we are talking of potential Maldonado has much more than Senna. After all, there is no point being consistently slower than your teammate.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st November 2012, 22:57

And it’s not like this is the first time Senna has been upstaged by his tem-mate. Vitaly Petrov had the measure of him for the eight races they hd together last year, while Karun Chandhok occasionally out-raced him in 2010 (though it’s a little hard to tell, because the car was so poor that they actually only finished three races together before Chandhok was replaced).

At the end of the day, Senna just isn’t a particularly good driver. If he wasn’t a Senna – if his name was Bruno Jones or some such – he probably wouldn’t have even gotten the Williams seat this year. People keep claiming that he missed a large, critical development period when he quit racing in the wake of his uncle’s death, or that he’s been missing out on too many free practice sessions to really show his mettle, or they keep pointing out Ayton’s quote about how Bruno was even better than him, but none of those really count for anything when Senna hasn’t been performing.

• Fernando Cruz said on 22nd November 2012, 0:36

Yes, if it wasn’t the name and sponsorship he probably wouldn’ t have been in Williams this year. But he would have entered F1 on merit in 2009, as he had better results in junior categories than a guy like Damon Hill. Honda’s withdrawal and lack of more testing opportunities meant he lost the Brawn drive and his career suffered a major blow as a consequence.

Another thing: when you say it is hard to teach a consistent driver to be fast you are right. But you forget Bruno was fast enough in qualifying in 2011, as he put the Lotus in Q3 four times. So he has the speed, he just needs a second proper season, this time with FP1 for himself, to reduce the gap to Maldonado. If he didn’t believe that then maybe he wouldn’t be trying to find a good seat for 2013, as qualifying is crucial, even more with such a level playing field.

1 2 3