Perez lets slip his Sauber successor is Gutierrez

F1 Fanatic round-up

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Yas Marina, 2012In the round-up: Sergio Perez accidentally reveals Esteban Gutierrez will drive for Sauber in 2013.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Perez spills the beans on Gutierrez race drive (Reuters)

“The car will be strong because the rules don’t change much, and the team have a good experienced driver in Nico [Hulkenberg] and he will have a strong team mate in Esteban [Gutierrez].”

All bets are off at season-ending Grand Prix (FT, registration rivals)

“For [Sao Paulo], the event should mean at least $120m in revenues and 10,000 temporary jobs. It is these attractive statistics that are likely to prompt Rio de Janeiro to launch a competing bid to host the Grand Prix after 2014.”

Acorda, Sao Paulo! (TotalRace, Portuguese)

This article suggests Bernie Ecclestone has been approached by another group looking to host the Brazilian Grand Prix – though he may be using this to persuade the Sao Paulo race organisers to commit to building new pit facilities at Interlagos.

Brazilian GP – Conference 1 (FIA)

Bruno Senna: “It?s been a very challenging season, lots of learning. We got some very good results and some tough races as well. Considering it was my first full year in Formula One, and with the small handicap of not doing free practice on Fridays, I think it?s been a pretty good year. In the end most of my races have been very strong. Just starting from a different position from where I should be starting has made me score less points than I could have had. In the end of the day it?s learning and you normally do much better on the second attempt at the same thing, so for sure there will be a lot of improvement to be done for next year.”

Mercedes to ditch new exhaust (Sky)

Norbert Haug: “We certainly, with hindsight, should have started much earlier with Coanda because it gives you a benefit – if you can manage it properly,” he said at the Brazilian Grand Prix on Thursday. We so far cannot, because we were late introducing it in Singapore.

Hamilton expecting to face win drought (Autosport)

“I never know when I’m going to have a car quite as good as this one, so I really hope this weekend I can utilise that. I hope we’re competitive enough to fight the Red Bulls.”

Burn Enters Formula 1 Racing (Burn)

Eric Boullier: “We are proud that The Coca-Cola Company [via burn] has chosen Lotus F1 Team as the best vehicle to represent the burn brand in its most high profile partnership.”

Button wants Alonso to win title (BBC)

“I said after the first race I don’t think he’s got a chance, and I didn’t think he did. He was a second off in qualifying, or even more. [Ferrari] have done a good job and he’s obviously done a great job as well.”

Sebastian Vettel arrives for F1 showdown with reliability concerns (The Guardian)

Christian Horner: “For sure, the alternator is a concern. It is the third failure we have had this year. It is something Renault need to get on top of this week.”

A round-up of tittle-tattle (Joe Saward)

“It is believed that Jules Bianchi and his supporters can raise around $4 million but Bruno Senna is probably able to raise $10-12 million and thus that would be better for [Force India], which should be OK financially thanks to TV money but may need some budget topping-up because of the lack of money available from Kingfisher Airlines.”

Button and Hamilton to be guarded by extra security at Brazilian GP after past troubles (Daily Mail)

“Button and Hamilton will be accompanied by a police escort and armoured vehicles on the 45-minute trip from the Interlagos track to their hotel.”

Did Piquet Jnr have a future in F1? (MotorSport)

“It was after that, of course, that the ‘Briatore affair’ came to light ?ǣ funny, that ?ǣ but some might suggest it should more properly be called the ‘Piquet affair’: according to technical director Pat Symonds, after all, the idea came originally from Nelson Jnr…”

In 2010 Piquet Jnr gave a different version of events in that notorious weekend at Singapore.

Tweets

There’s a Facebook group for those in the Netherlands affected by their move away from free-to-air live F1 coverage.

Comment of the day

@Osbos has lots of useful links for those keeping an eye on the weather in Interlagos:

Some rain radars for Sao Paulo/Interlagos:

Ipmet
DSA
Redemet (use S??o Roque/SP)
Redemet (animated) (to enable cities, please use Cidades on the left of the window)
Simepar (to the west of Sao Paulo)
Note: these radars are not real-time, like meteoradar.co.uk.

I also have some links to satellite images of the region/Brazil:

Climatempo
Weather.com
Somar
@Osbos

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Five years ago today evidence emerged detailed McLaren’s claim Renault had access to their intellectual property in 2006 and 2007.

The claim followed McLaren’s $100m fine from the FIA for using Ferrari intellectual property. However the FIA found no wrongdoing in the Renault case.

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

Advert | Go Ad-free

97 comments on Perez lets slip his Sauber successor is Gutierrez

  1. meek (@meek) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:05

    Ouch, Perez. Ferrari look to have made the better decision after all.

  2. Eggry (@eggry) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:07

    Oh, Perez did it!

  3. Timebolt (@timebolt759) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:19

    Oh no what will Kobayashi do now?

    • Mike (@mike) said on 23rd November 2012, 2:05

      This is really say, he really should be on the grid.

    • Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 23rd November 2012, 2:11

      Well, if Caterham can’t afford to keep Kovalainen then I guess he could go there.

      It would be a great shame if he were to be without a drive next season. I would say he’s been more consistent than Perez, and that podium at Suzuka was something special. I suspect IndyCar would be a logical move for him where, frankly, his abilities would be wasted.

    • I’d be hugely surprised if he didn’t get a seat at another team. He’s capable of much more than this season has shown, even though he has had his best qualifying (front row, second row), great points finishes and a podium. I think it’s a case of getting a car that suits his driving style and he will bring in the points.

      Force India & Williams should be knocking on his door quite frankly.. But I guess Williams is too busy looking for pay-drivers these days and VJ dreaming of bringing Sutil back :-/.

      • MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 23rd November 2012, 4:42

        Well FI supposedly rejected Heiki as he did not have sponsor backing. Kobayashi is being “fired” for the same reason so it is unlikely that FI would take him on. I think Kobayashi is looking at tim out of sport. Either that or with Caterham or Marussia.

    • Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 23rd November 2012, 7:53

      A sad, sad day for Formula 1. Kobayashi is a race winning capable driver with a promising future. Sauber developed with him, lets not forget about this. I’m really disappointed in the team for this. Seeing Kobayashi in an inferior team because of sponsorship is wrong. Hope this is not true, but I’m not optimistic. A shame.

  4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:31

    Dear Lotus’ PR department,

    While the announcement of a new major sponsor is always a good thing, please pay more attention to how you go about letting the world know about it, lest you inadvertently Photoshop an image together that makes you’re driver’s head look like it is on fire.

  5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 0:35

    @keithcollantine – Could I suggest adding some kind of warning to the article about searching for images of the Lotus with Burn logos on it? Doing so will result in pornographic content.

  6. maxthecat said on 23rd November 2012, 0:42

    Title should read ‘Perez lets slip his Sauber successor is Gutierrez’

  7. OOliver said on 23rd November 2012, 0:50

    What I find even more alarming is that he hasn’t got the info from Sauber but from his sponsor, who appears to be throwing his weight around.

  8. thejudge13 (@thejudge13) said on 23rd November 2012, 1:05

    Perez and McLaren look like a lot of fun next year. Lying to the press and admitting he did it to make his life easier then spilling Sauber’s big announcement. Lewis may with hindsight look like a PR deam

  9. HoHum (@hohum) said on 23rd November 2012, 1:18

    I read elsewhere that Lotus beat McLaren out of the contest for Burn sponsorship and one of the reasons for that was that Lotus were able to document that their fanbase was the fastest growing currently in F1. I might be wrong but I would credit 90% of that increase to the hiring of Kimi R.
    A lesson to teams looking only at what a driver can pay in personal sponsorship, I don’t know what Lotus pay Kimi but I’ll bet they will find it financially more beneficial than Williams deal with Maldonado.

    • Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 1:33

      I don’t know where you read that.

      The only connection I can find between McLaren and Coca-Cola was the talk that Vodafone would terminate their contract with the team one year early because they were said to be unhappy with the situation in Bahrain and wanted their logos removed from the car for the race, but were unable to do so. McLaren was then rumoured to be picking up sponsorship through Coke’s Relentless brand. However, that still doesn’t account for GlaxoSmithKline’s presence on the car; GSK promote Lucozade, which would be in competition with any brand Coke wanted to put on the car.

      No, I suspect these stories of Lotus beating out McLaren to the Coke sponsorship because they could prove their fanbase was the fastest-growing in the sport have come from the Raikkonen fans.

    • BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd November 2012, 7:43

      While I do think that you might be right in saying that Kimi’s personality and fanbase were a significant part of the reason why Lotus appeals to Coca Cola/Burn, I seriously doubt that a deal with McLaren was ever on the table @hohum.
      The reason is simple – GSK is already a team partner and they have Lucozade – (and some local brands also seen on the McLaren this year) which compete in the same market.

      • HoHum (@hohum) said on 23rd November 2012, 21:55

        @bascb, I’ll blame the reporter for the McL fantasy, but we have gotten totally away from the point I was trying to make. That point is; A good driver is worth a lot more than the dollars he might be able to pay for his seat, points accumulated are worth millions at years end and a fanbase is attractive to team sponsors.

        Further I can picture;
        Kimi beside his Lotus saying ” Let’s go for a Burn” can in hand.
        Kimi in “club” attire ” a Vodka Burn for me”
        Kimi in Tux ” a Vodka Burn, stirred not shaken”

  10. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 1:25

    This article suggests Bernie Ecclestone has been approached by another group looking to host the Brazilian Grand Prix – though he may be using this to persuade the Sao Paulo race organisers to commit to building new pit facilities at Interlagos.

    I suspect it’s Bernie putting pressure on Interlagos to upgrade their facilities (though I was under the impression they were already planning it and that construction would begin after this year’s Grand Prix). The race can’t really move to Rio, because Rio doesn’t have a circuit; Jacarepagua has been demolished to make way for the 2016 Olympic Precinct. The only alternative would be a street circuit, but because of the divisions between residential and commercial zones and the favelas, that has the potential to get very, very messy very, very quickly. This was the best that I could do in five minutes.

    • Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 23rd November 2012, 2:20

      @prisoner-monkeys I wouldn’t be a street circuit, I read somewhere (can’t remeber, sorry for the lack of sources) that they plan to build a brand new track anyway, regardless if they outbid São Paulo or not. But I agree, that can’t happen, Interlagos losing the race would be a travesty. The thing that worries me though is that São Paulo will be governed by a different party next year, and the Interlagos revamp was the work of the outgoing government. Who knows how many delays (and possibly even outright cancellation) the project will suffer because of that. So far there is no sign of work besides the new run-offs and they certainly wouldn’t be able to finish it in less than one year, as the article Keith links suggests.

      • Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 2:32

        @guilherme – I’ve heard that the new pit building is a two-year job, and is planned to coincide with the reweal of the contract in 2014. I doubt any government would cancel a project like that halfway through, so once construction begins, it should be okay.

        • Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 23rd November 2012, 2:44

          @prisoner-monkeys you are probably right about the timeframe of the construction, but don’t underestimate the stupidity of brazilian politics, specially when we’re talking about the two main opposing parties here…

          But I agree, this is just Bernie putting pressure. Beto Carreiro tried to bring F1 to his theme park in Santa Catarina in 1996, and of course it never happened.

          If you’re interested, this is the proposed track in Rio de Janeiro. Mind you, Interlagos’ facilities and access roads would be first class when compared to this place.

          • Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd November 2012, 3:36

            Don’t worry. I live in a town where the local council can’t even knock down an abandoned building without screwing it up so much that the Independent Commission Against Corruption – the nation’s anti-corruption taskforce – has to get involved and sort the mess out.

      • AldoG said on 23rd November 2012, 7:32

        Guilherme, for how long FIA and Bernie have been putting pressure on Interlagos for changes? After the death of Gustavo Sondermann at the same corner that almost killed Webber and Alonso it seemed that something would change, but in fact nothing happened, or just a few details. As far as I can remember, there have been rumours of a new track at Beto Carrero World park for at least a decade, and nothing happened. But the truth today is that Interlagos is still the only track in Brasil able to receive F1. Maybe one day it will be Londrina, but for that you need to park there a truckload of cash.
        I think it is very sad what Rio de Janeiro did with Jacarepaguá, a track where I saw Formula 1, Formula Indy AND MotoGP (I saw Valentino Rossi being champion at the 250cc in Jacarepaguá and Jorge Lorenzo winning his first race at the 125cc).

    • ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 23rd November 2012, 9:04

      This was the best that I could do in five minutes.

      Not bad, a curvy, almost-monagesque layout.

  11. Kimi4WDC said on 23rd November 2012, 3:54

    Not sure how to feel about Gutierrez.

    Gutierrez definitely have a much more success on his road to F1 compare to Perez, but for some reason he does not come across as worthy of Kobayashi’s replacement, just now, we’ll see.

  12. Kimi4WDC said on 23rd November 2012, 3:57

    Mr Button reminds me of soon to be wife lately, who believe that, that one day will change her life. He is not going to be driving faster with Hamilton gone, I hope he realises that.

  13. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 23rd November 2012, 4:37

    Now I am sure Perez would make a worthy successor to a guy who posted his teams car telemetry on twitter.

  14. BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd November 2012, 7:52

    As for the Dutch TV coverage - its confirmed that commercial station RTL7 will stop broadcasting and pay TV station Sport1 will take over (source in Dutch).

    Let me remind everyone who critisized people from the UK for complaining about the Sky /BBC deal for being spoilt brats as this was only a local matter and others pay for their footage as well, that this deal can be seen more and more as a breakthrough for F1. After the first big European marked was done for, Italy will probably follow, the Netherlands now as well. Without doubt such a deal is already on the table in Spain as well and lets wait and see if RTL Germany will keep it on live (possibly they will as long as Vettel is in a winning car).

    Will F1 survive in a healthy state with less and less races in Europe (Bernies wish) and diminished TV viewers?

  15. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 23rd November 2012, 8:25

    Button wants Alonso to win title (BBC).

    So do I, Jenson, so do I…

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.