Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Interlagos, 2012What did you think of the Brazilian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (0%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (64%)

Total Voters: 835

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team

240 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

1 2 3 9
  1. Brazil 2003 + Brazil 2008 + 1 = Brazil 2012

The Maths says it all! ¦P

• Commendatore (@commendatore) said on 25th November 2012, 19:31

I wanted to give it 10, but:
      -0.5 because Alonso didn’t win the title.
      -0.5 because of the anti-climatic safety car in the last lap.

So my final vote is: 10 – 1 = 9 for Brazil 2012.

• MethylONE (@methylone) said on 25th November 2012, 19:51

11 for where I turned the knob, -1 for the knob breaking off.

So… 11-1=10

• Jayfreese (@) said on 25th November 2012, 19:57

AAA+++

• Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 26th November 2012, 5:04

2008 was still the best Brazilian GP though

• AldoG said on 26th November 2012, 8:45

Maybe the fact that there were SO MANY replays on TV during the transmision says it all. There were SO MANY things happening all the time that it was even difficult to realize what was going on, in particular in the first 25 laps. The folks were replaying a crash but at the same time there was another, and showing the second crash exactly when the championship was changing hands, and put the replay of that situation when there was another crash or a long drift or whatever.
      Maybe the only thing that I didn’t like is the fact that when Vettel was the last, he overtook like 14 cars in 10 laps, but it seemed to me that NOT ONE of them decided to put a fight. Even Schumacher opened to Vettel without putting up a fight.
      But all in all, if a race this season deserves a perfect 10, a big fat 10, it must be this one.

2. pejte (@pejte) said on 25th November 2012, 17:51

Has to be the best race in recent years.
    10/10

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th November 2012, 17:53

Better than Brazil 2008? Yes… 10

What a race… what a season. FIA, do not let Interlagos GO !

4. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 25th November 2012, 17:53

I was going to rate it a 12. But the SC at the end gets a -1 from me. So only an 11 :)

5. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 25th November 2012, 17:53

The great thing was that for much of the race it was wet enough to give excitement but not so wet as to ruin the race. The biggest negative points were that Hulkenberg wasn’t able to stay in the race for the win, and Massa slowing down to let Alonso through for second place despite it making no difference to the championship in the end. Only a moron or Alonso fan could fail to score this race highly (and I didn’t say one was the other :-p )

For me – it’s a (nearly) perfect 10

6. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 25th November 2012, 17:57

10/10. Easy. No question. That race had everything. It was dry, then it was wet, then it was both, then it was wetter.

There was a battle for the championship, there was a battle for the lead, there was a battle for 10th, there was a battle for last, there were battles for every place in between.

There was a collision between the leaders, there were collisions involving title contenders, there was a collision to end the race, there were self-made spins, there were even cars using bits of the track that haven’t seen action in 30 years.

There was action, there was suspense, there was heartbreak and joy, there was joy that turned to heartbreak, there was heartbreak that turned to joy.

There were drivers going out on highs, there were drivers going out on lows, there were drivers going on to better things, there were drivers speeding into the mists of uncertainty.

That was everything a Formula One race should be.

Anyone who has given any other race this season a 10/10, you need to re-evaluate your scoring system. That kind of race happens once a year at best, once a generation more often than not. There hasn’t been a race that good for at least 30 races.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 25th November 2012, 18:22

@ajokay, you sir, made me feel emotional with your comment. This race is up there with Brazil 2008 as the best of my life. And, should I have kids in the future, this will be one of the races where I’ll sit down and tell them what happened and hope to see their astonished faces at such story :P

My first 10 of the season, perfect time to give that score to a race.

• Steven (@steevkay) said on 25th November 2012, 19:42

I was about to type a long response, but that about sums it up.

I was thinking that the only way the race won’t be “perfect” for some is because their driver didn’t finish as they’d hoped.

What more can a F1 fan ask for from a race? I hope Interlagos remains on the calendar as a season finale for many more seasons to come.

• Jayfreese (@) said on 25th November 2012, 20:06

@ajokaythere were even cars using bits of the track that haven’t seen action in 30 years.

My friends and I were laughing our ******* ass off when Kimi Raïkkönen went off-piste! When I saw that I was thinking aswell the escape-road would rejoin the track! Amazed

Nice comment mate

• sorin (@) said on 25th November 2012, 22:39

What Raikkonen said: “I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I’ll make sure it’s open again”.

• schooner (@schooner) said on 25th November 2012, 21:55

Great summary! The only thing that I would add is that, in the “as they run now” category, the championship points lead must have switched between Alonso and Vettel 3 or 4 times! This race really did have it all. The only disappointment for me, and it was a big one, was Hamilton being taken out.

• Novotny (@novotny) said on 25th November 2012, 22:10

Raikonnen off looking for the ice cream van was hilarious.

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 2:02

Well said.

• wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 26th November 2012, 13:24

Agree with every word with you, & as many said it was heart pumping in all those 71 laps,only time I smiled or laughed when Kimi provided probably one of the best moment of the season.

7. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 25th November 2012, 18:03

How could this race have been any better? I don’t know! What a terrific end to a terrific season! If I could have rated this higher than 10, I would have!

Congrats to Vettel on the championship. Congrats to Button on the race win. Congrats to Alonso on such an amazing season. My opinions of Alonso have really changed this year.

Simply phenomenal! Next season can’t come quickly enough!

8. fractal (@fractal) said on 25th November 2012, 18:04

perfect final

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th November 2012, 13:20

10/10.

Perfect would have been if we got the underdog win! But no race will ever be perfect. And even if it was perfect for me, it wouldn’t be for someone else. So as far as I see it, this was F1 at its absolute best. The first time F1 has toyed with my emotions in such a way since the eerily similar 2008 race. To rate it anything less than 10 would be asking too much. It’s not just what happens on track, but how it affects you and what you feel as it unfolds in front of you. I can not expect to see a race more thrilling than that for the rest of my life, though I suspect I may just be treated at least once more before I go!

9. taurus (@taurus) said on 25th November 2012, 18:05

Cracking stuff.

Three gripes – no gravel at turn one, Hulkenbergs penalty for daring to attempt to take the lead, and the first safety car. Still a 10/10! Brilliant race.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 25th November 2012, 19:47

@taurus – I agree that the Hulkenberg penalty was very harsh, he had already suffered from what was a fairly small mistake (albeit with unfortunate consequences for Hamilton). I think with the track the way it was today the cars were always on a knife-edge of grip on several corners.

• brny666 said on 25th November 2012, 20:52

Yepp Alonso (twice), Kimi and I’m sure others have got away with the turn one run off. It should never have been changed. I also can’t help but feel that the decision to give the Hulk a drive through was influenced by Ferrari to give Alonso 2nd.

10. Ant Wilson said on 25th November 2012, 18:18

It doesn’t get better than that! Plain and simple.

11. 10. If not the best, this was one of the most complete / challenging GPs I have ever watched alongside Spa 1998, Suzuka 2000 and Brazil 2003. Absolute 10.

There was not a dull moment at all. The start, the battle for the win between Button, Hamilton and Hulkenberg, the huge amount of pit-stops botched or not, the weather, Alonso’s campaign to 2nd, Vettel’s campaign to 6th from being dead last again, the battle between Pic and Petrov, the battle between McLaren and Ferrari, the battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen for 3rd in the WDC…can’t even remember them all. Everything happened right on track and came to a closure in a breathtaking way.

This should be the only way to end a season in Formula 1. Every year…

12. Abnash (@abnash) said on 25th November 2012, 18:24

Would have given it the perfect 10 as it had all the ingredients a perfect race has:
    Tradgedy: Hamilton, Di Resta
    Comedy: Raikkonens exploration of the track, Alonso’s post race death stare
    Inspirational Stuff: Schumachers final race dragging a bad car into an amazing 7th
    Drama: Crashes galore, weather, Caterham clinching 10th in the final race of the reason, 1 place from a points finish!
    Young talent bursting through: Hulkenberg
    Underdog despite all the odds coming out on top: ALONSO YOU FAILED ME

13. magon4 (@magon4) said on 25th November 2012, 18:25

What was going on with Webber? Attacking Seb twice in dangerous situations… that was interesting!

• Mr draw said on 25th November 2012, 22:27

Jealousy.

• BogdanGC said on 26th November 2012, 14:46

indeed, most of the time Mark seems to make life harder for Vettel… he’s no Massa.

That’s why i think Seb’s win in the championship is even more fabulous. Great 2012 season, one of the best i’ve seen in 15 years.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 6th December 2012, 10:48

Fabulous? It made me sick to my stomach. And you forget Webber clearly gets the inferior car considering he has a smoother driving style and has around 3 or 4 times as many failures. You also forget Vettel only won thanks to Adrian Newey, and proved time and again he is incapable of overtaking without DRS (and even then he’s clumsy, hopeless and attacks corners expecting people to move out the way because he’s Vettel.

• @sgt-pepper Vettel has crashed into two drivers all season. Once it was under rain, the other time it was at the start. Otherwise his overtaking was incredibly clean and mature. I could also name a bunch of occaisions where he made passes without DRS. I could also point out that his percentage of DRS overtakes is the same as any driver. I could also point out that Alonso is the one who expects everybody to jump out of the way. I could also point out that Webber didn’t have many more failures at all (Valencia, Monza…). I could also point out that Webber was 6th in the championship, meaning that Newey isn’t the only factor.

Look, I know your guy didn’t win. Mine didn’t either. Get over it. All champions are worthy, and Vettel did a particularly good job this year.

14. Captain Sorbet (@captain-sorbet) said on 25th November 2012, 18:25

Here it is, my first 10 rating ever – not even Canada ’11 got one! What @ajokay said… It had everything! Wasn’t going for Vettel and sad for Hamilton, but doesn’t matter – the race was just too good!

15. hsboi (@hsboi) said on 25th November 2012, 18:28

10/10 One of the best races of the last 10 years. Could not have been bether imho.

Those who rated the race 1/10 probably did not read this.

1 2 3 9