Vettel proud Red Bull not distracted by “dirty tricks”

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Interlagos, 2012Sebastian Vettel praised his team after winning the drivers’ championship in Brazil and said he was happy they had not been distracted by “dirty tricks” during the year.

“I think the most important throughout the season, I think it was the toughest we had, is that we always kept believing and we remained ourselves,” Vettel told the BBC after the race.

“Obviously, you know I don’t need to teach you, I don’t need to tell you, you were there all the time, a lot of people tried to play dirty tricks and certain things that maybe are, at least from out point of view beyond the limit.

“And we never get irritated, distracted by that. We kept going our way and all the guys in Milton Keynes, here at the circuit, big, big push until the end. Obviously we have stepped up our game in the second half which allowed us to come back in terms of championship. But I would like to finally thank all the guys in the team, thanks Renault, but in particular all the guys here at the circuit, back in the factory as well.

“Because I think there is no one in our team that feels more important than the other one. We are all a big group and we are fighting all next to each other and not one after the other. So you imagine that is quite a big group of people next to each other and quite a big force. I am very proud of that. I don’t want to make this too long but it’s unbelievable.”

“I was quite lucky nobody hit me”

Start, Interlagos, 2012He described his elation at winning the world championship despite suffering a spin on the first lap of the race: “It’s difficult to imagine what goes through my head now, even for myself. I’m still full of adrenaline I think if you would poke me now I wouldn’t really feel that. I think it was an incredible race I think they tried everything, obviously, to make it more difficult for us today.

“Inside the car when you get turned around in turn four for no reason and then imagine you are heading the wrong way going down he M25 it’s not the most comfortable feeling so I had to keep it straight and, yeah, was quite lucky nobody hit me from that point onwards.”

Vettel said he his started was “decent” but he had nowhere to go in the first corner: “Mark [Webber's] start was a bit poor, it was a bit worse, I was side by side. But then he squeezed me to the wall and I had to back out of it because it’s a very narrow corner turn one. I lost position, all the people on the outside went by.”

“Then for turn four I was a little bit isolated, didn’t really attack the guys in front, wasn’t attacked by the guy behind but then just got the hit on the rear I think from [Bruno] Senna and was spun around.

“But then I pulled the clutch immediately and tried to not stay on the brakes, release the brakes and try to roll downhill so go with the flow of the whole field. Because obviously if you stand there and someone comes around the corner it’s way more difficult to react for you – I mean it sounds a bit stupid, but when you roll down the hill it’s easier for others to avoid you which was most important by then.

“Fortunately the front wing was intact, obviously we damaged the car which we then saw as I said in the dry conditions there was no pace. I was the slowest car in the straight today, I was dog slow it was unbelievable. Really difficult.”

“We like rain conditions as much as dry”

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Interlagos, 2012Vettel added the wet conditions played into his hands from that point on: “Fortunately then it started to rain again, I felt much, much happier. I think all weekend people tried to, how can I say, push us in a certain direction, when it starts to rain that it will be more difficult for us. But I think we have proven across the season we like rain conditions as much as dry conditions. In that case today it helped us even a little bit.

“Yeah I was obviously very happy when after only ten, twenty laps I was back in fourth or fifth, right behind Fernando [Alonso]. But then as I said in the dry we didn’t have the pace. We did probably bad timing with the pit stop, come in to change another set of dries, and then it started to rain so we had to come in again, that doesn’t help.”

Vettel said that when he was behind Alonso he “knew that will be enough – but equally I knew that there’s a long way to go”.

Felipe [Massa] went by and then initially he tried to block us a little bit, to let Fernando go probably and give him a cushion,” he added.

“It doesn’t really matter, you know, we weren’t really distracted by that, we just try to do our thing. I think throughout the season we tried to do that, stick to the rules that we know and I think that made the difference in the end.”

“It’s unreal”

Vettel said it was “unreal” to think he’d become the ninth three-times world champion: “I think for all of us in the team, also for myself, it’s unreal. Also to win the third title here, one of my greatest idols Ayrton [Senna], he was from Sao Paulo, he won three titles. I don’t like talking about myself, really, but it’s very difficult to imagine that you join them.

“There’s other names as well. Actually I think my radio wasn’t working, I was crying, but you didn’t hear that, so quite happy for that. Christian came on the radio and mentioned all the three-time world champions. He forgot [Alain] Prost, actually, so I told him that, but I didn’t think he got it.

“I think that one of the nicest part of our sport is you can compare not necessarily only yourself but your time to the guys racing ten, twenty, fifteen, thirty forty years ago. Yeah, I don’t know, maybe tomorrow I know a little bit more but right now I can’t find the right words.”

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images, Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Red Bull/Getty images

131 comments on Vettel proud Red Bull not distracted by “dirty tricks”

1. tmax (@tmax) said on 26th November 2012, 2:38

It looks like a terrible day for Vettel Nay Sayers !!!! Quite simply they are unable to stomach the fact that he is a triple world champion up along with Fangio :) I guess it is time to be sportive and give it to him for once.

If the car is such a miracle that it does not need a driver a drive it , why is webber who is regarded by all as good as Vettel 100 points behind him. ???

If anyone one can win world championships with Newey built cars, why is Mclaren still having just one WDC in last 12 years. That too with a non Newey car ?

• Roberto38 said on 26th November 2012, 4:22

It looks like a terrible day for Vettel Nay Sayers !!!!

I know.. it’s pretty funny.. :D

• mixwell (@mixwell) said on 26th November 2012, 6:29

oh its just the internet and ignorance. .pretty sure 90% of these guys who think Newey is god/master started watching f1 in the last 4-5 years and they have no clue who the other designers are. .
      RBR 2013 should bear Newey’s wiki on the car itself. maybe then people would know where he has been before joining RBR. .he is a great designer, but championships have been won without him.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 26th November 2012, 8:44

Exactly, it’s funny how everyone forgets Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne were the king’s of F1 for a 5 years stint there. As well as there Benneton winner. Bigios and Zander come to mind as well…

Either way a good season (not the way I wished it ended) and cant wait for next season.

• Mariano (@mariano) said on 26th November 2012, 11:28

“…he is a triple world champion up along with Fangio”

Please let me clarify that Fangio was a five times world champion with four different teams, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes and Ferrari, something that no one has been able to match until the present days.

• Mariano (@mariano) said on 26th November 2012, 11:32

Fangio also won four consecutive world championships: 1954, 1955, 1956 and 1957.

• @mariano Maybe I was not clear enough. Only 3 people have won Three consecutive Titles or a Hat-trick of F1 Titles – Fangio, Schumacher and Vettel.

I should have said ” he is a Hat-Trick World Champion along with Fangio and Schumi” . Yes I do understand that Fangio won 5 titles and Schumi won 7 titles.

• Mariano (@mariano) said on 26th November 2012, 16:55

That’s 100% accurate. He has indeed joined the exclusive club of the Hat-Trick World Champions. I consider Vettel as one of the best current drivers in the grid along with Hamilton and Alonso. So congratulations to Vettel for achieving the WDC!

• javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 28th November 2012, 17:22

Obligitory PPSA (Pedantic Public Service Announcement)
          “Hat-trick” is a term used in ice hockey when a single player scores 3 goals in a single game. These goals need not be consecutive.

The use of the word “hat-trick” to describe Vettel’s latest WDC accomplishment is a misnomer, and indeed is a minimization of his achievement. Because, by the definition of the word, Fernando Alonso would be eligable for that title if he wins one more WDC. Obviously, such a condition would not be an equal match for what Vettel has done in the past 3 seasons.

The “Hat-Trick” term might be used more properly to describe a driver who completes what is sometimes called “the Triple-Crown”; ie a single driver taking the honor of Pole, Fastest Lap and Win in a single race weekend.

I care about the people in the board, and wouldn’t want anyone to walk around saying silly things… you’re welcome ;-)

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 16:54

why is webber who is regarded by all as good as Vettel 100 points behind him

He is not regarded that way at all.

2. BigAlex said on 26th November 2012, 9:54

Vettel is the 2012 F1 champion, and please stop with your if this, if that… the guy is 3 times in a row champion, that says a lot.

• the guy is 3 times in a row champion, that says a lot

The guy is 3 times in a row WDC in probably the strongest F1 field ever, and that indeed says a lot. Depending on your biases, either

– he is The Greatest Driver of All Time (otherwise, how on earth could he manage to beat this pack of opponents again and again and again without missing a beat)

oooooor…

– perhaps he’s got a tiny little bit of luck on his side driving the standout car of these three years

• Roberto38 said on 26th November 2012, 22:44

- perhaps he’s got a tiny little bit of luck on his side

Yes, like every other championship winner in the history of F1..

3. I think he’s talking about the holes in the floor and the engine mapping which the FIA outlawed. Maybe the flexi-wing too.

4. chemakal said on 26th November 2012, 12:24

I expect Red Bull to buy HRT and call it “Toro Rojo” racing team so Vettel can have 5 open doors to pass thru next seasson to valid his “clean” tricks

• uan (@uan) said on 27th November 2012, 0:59

Actually I suspect Alonso, being Spanish, will pick them up himself – he’d have a tax write off to compensate for not living in Switzerland anymore, and a couple more rear gunners. Karthekayan did well messing up Vettel this season, so I’m sure Fred would keep him on the team lol.

• Chemakal said on 27th November 2012, 23:56

Nowadays, Alonso as Spanish resident can only get taxes written off if he legalises black money or wans to open a casino.
        Kartikayan did well as Whiting told the drivers to do on that track section

5. Dirty tricks mean predefined team-order which only happens at Ferrari. Why Massa still there? Maybe every day he prays for Alonso fall so he will be allowed to be competitive again. With predefined team-order, Kimi would have been 2x WDC already.

• Chris (@chrisckv) said on 26th November 2012, 15:04

After Senna, Prayer doesn’t help save the three B. stooges – Piquet jr, Ruben, Massa. See the connections? three Stooges? Piquet sacrifiies his career for a certain 2WDC win, Ruben sacrify his win for a certain multiple WDC & Massa is slower than a certain 2WDC, make a perfect pass over for a certain red car…. see the dots?

6. javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 26th November 2012, 19:09

I happen to think Seb’s comment on “Dirty Tricks” was targeted at his competitors. Of course, Seb would NEVER admit RBR was engaged in anything less than the highest levels of sportsmanship, and is completely above board in that regard. He must be referencing Ferrari’s GearBox Seal breakage at USGP, or other actions taken by others, and how his team did not fall into that, and remained honorable, moral and otherwise squeaky clean.

7. John Doe said on 26th November 2012, 19:39

Vettel overtaking HRT under flashing yellow flags:

8. TMF (@tmf42) said on 26th November 2012, 19:48

It’s funny – if Alonso had a bad machine this year it wasn’t his PR machine. He convinced so many to believe that he is the clean, underdog fighter who can’t do wrong. He is a good driver and at the moment one of the best on the grid, but he’s a shyster.
    Ever since crashgate, spygate, the break tests and the Quali in Hungary 07 and subsequent “extortion” of his team – Karma has him on the debit side.

9. The Limit said on 26th November 2012, 20:06

Ofcourse this is a swipe at Ferrari from Vettel, in that Ferrari ‘HAD’ to do what they did in Texas out of desperation. The events in Austin a week ago convinced me that Vettel would be champion. When a team has to resort to the kind of tactics Ferrari did its worrying, its an admittance that they are not as good as a rival in terms of performance.
    Saying that, Ferrari’s decision to sabotage Massa’s car is nothing new. Red Bull were guilty of that two years ago in Silverstone when they swapped Mark Webber’s front wing over to aid Sebastien Vettel. Famously, after winning the grands prix, Webber sarcastically stated over the radio that the victory was ‘not bad for a number two driver’. Alot of people will read into this from Vettel and curse him, call him two faced, and they may have a point. Deep down though, its one upmanship on Sebastien’s point, he is suggesting in my mind that Ferrari ‘were not good enough’ to win the championship without resorting to craftiness. He is not suggesting at all that Alonso was not up to par, and that is important I think.

• Roberto38 said on 26th November 2012, 22:51

I think what he is suggesting (and actually saying) most of all is that he and his team didn’t let the tactics get to them.. since they were desperate attempts to bring in doubts and unsettle them..