Hamilton: “The dude didn’t even say sorry”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Interlagos, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton criticises Nico Hulkenberg after his last race for McLaren was ended by the Force India driver.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Lewis Hamilton denied McLaren farewell win by Nico Hulkenburg crash (The Guardian)

“The dude didn’t even come and say sorry and that says a lot. That’s what happens when you race with a less experienced driver.”

Defeated Alonso hails best season yet (Autosport)

“The championship was not lost here. The championship was lost when [Romain] Grosjean flew over my head [at Spa] or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan.”

Brazilian GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

“It was one of the toughest races I?ve had. It was very tricky. It was on that point many times when you think Inters is the right tyre. I kept asking the team ‘what?s going to happen with the weather: it?s supposed to be light showers?’ Well OK, we?ll see how we go but it was so, so difficult. You?re locking up tyres here and there but you?ve just got to push to the limit. You have to wait for the team to give you the information about all the other people on [intermediates] so it?s not just about driving the car at that point.”

Sebastian Vettel Transcript (FIA)

“Since the start of the season, we were fighting with the car, the car wasn’t similar to last year’s, I couldn’t… it’s difficult for you to understand, but I couldn’t use my tricks or my style to make it work and manipulate the car the way I liked. I didn’t have enough rear stability mostly to work with the brakes and get the car into the corners, to the apex, the way I like. We tried everything and I think at some stage, we just did a step that was big enough and in the right direction that allowed me to do more of what I like, so naturally it came in our direction.”

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Interlagos, 2012‘Vettel’s move was legal’ (Sky)

Martin Brundle: “I’ve spoken to Gary Connolly, one of the race stewards, and he has absolutely confirmed that they were red-and-yellow boards – didn’t look much like that from the somewhat grainy and rainy yellow on-board footage, did it?”

All sevens for Schumacher on F1 farewell (Reuters)

“I enjoyed most of it. It wasn’t as successful as we wanted it to be but still I learned a lot for life and I’m quite glad for the good emotions again. Now is a good time to go…”

2013 Starts now (Toro Rosso)

“We know we have made significant progress in the second part of the year and along with changes in terms of our infrastructure and how the team is run, we can be optimistic about 2013.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

I think @RyanWilliams captured the spirit of F1 Fanatic brilliantly with this one:

Best race of the year, hands down.

Suspense from start to finish, battles up and down the field and a worthy champion at the end.

PS: I?m a Ferrari fan!
@RyanWilliams

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Carlos Santos and Nick!

On this day in F1

Bernie Ecclestone was mugged in London on this day two years ago.

Ecclestone, who was 80 at the time, quickly bounced back from the ordeal and later appeared in an advert for his chosen brand of watches displaying the injuries he had received.

Images ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team, Daimler/Hoch Zwei

176 comments on Hamilton: “The dude didn’t even say sorry”

1 2 3
  1. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 26th November 2012, 1:03

Why should Hamilton expect Hulk to apologize when the incident wasn’t the German’s fault? At most it was a racing incident, made worse by the conditions.

• Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 26th November 2012, 1:06

Yeah but if Hulk was a bit patient and didn’t duck down into those 3 cars he could have caught him in the next few turns

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 26th November 2012, 1:11

He’d have made it, had the car not snapped from him. Given the conditions, I think it’s hard to blame him…

• Conditions are the same for everyone. He misjudged it, lost the car, and hit someone else, and ended that person’s race. The passing guy is responsible for a clean pass. Hamilton gave him so much room that Hulkenberg was almost perpendicular to Hamilton’s car when he hit him.

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 1:48

I don’t think you can even say he misjudged it. Look at all the other drivers who one second were completely fine, and then suddenly the back slips and they are going backwards into the grass.

• oggie509 (@oggie509) said on 26th November 2012, 2:13

It’s not as though there were red and yellow flags being waved. oh wait…

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 2:30

What of Di Resta then? Or any other driver who went wide?

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 26th November 2012, 7:55

Didn’t Alonso miss the corner even more than Nico did, twice?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 10:53

Di Resta crashed under very different circumstances, when it was even more treacherous. And neither him nor Alonso went wide when they dived up inside of another driver.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 26th November 2012, 13:57

But when other drivers slipped they were alone and that’s a big difference while you just escape by a little trip of the track or hitting another car with the unknown of what could be next.
            In wet condition you have to be a bit more carefull and not too optimistic, was a matter of time before he got Hamilton, DRS was a few corners away and FI were pretty quick there. Classified as a dumb move of a driver not use being in the lead and it probably hit him even more than Lewis given their respective apparences on a podium.

• brny666 said on 26th November 2012, 13:13

I was just thinking on that. Incidentally if Hamilton didn’t give as much room for Hulk the cars would have collided side on and probably both of them would have gotten away with it. Hulk should have known better but it was a racing incident in my opinion and the drive through was extremely harsh however he still should have gone to Hamilton and said something. On another point entirely every driver was a rookie once and Hamilton made more than a his fair share of stupid mistakes, and it really annoys me when drivers start complaining about that. That’s racing, deal with it

• sorin (@) said on 26th November 2012, 9:23

@wackyracer because when you lose control of your car is enterily your’re fault. Hamilton was on exterior, he didn’t force Hulk to do a super maneuver to avoid him. @mnmracer Alonso didn’t lost control of the car, like Hulk did, he was very carefull, althought he was on limit for several times.

• brny666 said on 26th November 2012, 13:15

Alonso lost control of his car 2 times into turn one mate. In fact if there was still grass there as there should be the WDC would have been decided by lap 10.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 26th November 2012, 1:10

@pamphlet agree it was a racing incident, and Hamilton was probably dissapointed with how it ended.

The guy DID apologise after LH made that comment, I’ve seen it on twitter.

• xbx-117 (@xbx-117) said on 26th November 2012, 1:13

It was completely his fault.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 1:14

How was it not his fault? He misjudged the corner and slid wide into another driver.

• I wouldn’t say “misjudged” as in those particular conditions it’s quite hard to keep a F1 car from sliding all over the place and calculate exactly how much the back will throw itself on you. In normal conditions Hulkenberg would have made the pass stick cleanly and it wouldn’t have come to any of these discussions.

But it’s understandable for both Lewis – being frustrated with the outcome and Hulkenberg – not feeling the need to apologize at first.

It’s just post-race tension. They’ll put it behind them quite quickly, I reckon. :)

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 1:49

slid wide? or lost grip?

It was an unforeseeable loss of grip, in those conditions, it happens.

• Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 26th November 2012, 2:02

His fault, how can it not be??

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 26th November 2012, 2:32

Terrible conditions and Kovalainen got in the way pretty badly.

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 2:32

If he had of turned into Hamilton on purpose, instead of trying to turn the corner, then I’d agree.

But it was a wet track, he’s not exactly the only one to have gone wide during the race and it was not an unreasonable overtaking attempt.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 26th November 2012, 11:43

@mike Then why did Hulkenberg get a drive through penalty, if it wasn’t his fault?

• The stewards in over at least the last year, have generally taken the decision, that if you ruin another drivers race, then you get a penalty.

I’m not arguing against Hulkenburg’s penalty, I fully understand that, as it cause another driver to retire. However, the stewards seem to have avoided penalizing Vettel, for an incident with a similar amount of blame (very little) and similar consequences in order to avoid affecting the championship.

But by letting the championship contenders get away with things that others can’t I think they are skewing the rule book unfairly. I don’t think being in the hunt should have influenced their decision, and we have seen in the past that, “I didn’t see him” isn’t a good enough excuse to avoid penalty. Except this time.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 26th November 2012, 6:11

@mike

In general crashes do not happen “on purpose”. Usually it’s one driver doing something stupid, or lacking the skill to control his car. That’s what happened here. Hulkenberg initiated the pass in risky conditions, knowing he doesn’t have much grip. He crashed into another driver and took him out. Most people, including the marshals, saw it was Hulk’s fault. The track was wet for everybody, and some drivers were showing that safe overtaking was still possible.

• andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 26th November 2012, 7:35

@mike alright, he didn’t misjudge it and it was a racing incident. he still ended another driver’s race and for that he should apologize. confirmed by the fact that he did go and apologize to lewis.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 10:50

Those are both one and the same- he went wide when trying to overtake. I’m not saying that it wasn’t easy for drivers to misjudge that corner, but when overtaking for the lead you need to make sure you don’t hit the other driver- if you do so while they are giving room, it is categorically your fault. I really don’t understand how this is even being debated. Was he unlucky that such a minor mistake had such a big impact? Yes. Does that mean he wasn’t to blame? No.

• @matt90
            Ok, So what about the Vettel/Senna incident?

By the same line, shouldn’t Vettel be responsible for turning into another driver?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 13:46

@mike I never got to see the thorough replays of that, so it is hard to give an opinion. But if it was Vettel who was fully to blame, then perhaps he too deserved a penalty (I guess it would be similar to Massa vs Hamilton in India last year).

• Mike (@mike) said on 27th November 2012, 3:56

@matt90

To be honest, I don’t think you can really blame Vettel, but the two situations appear to me, to have been looked at differently, even though, really, it is the same thing going on.

Sorry if I’ve come across grumpy btw, had a few stressful nights at work. -.-

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 27th November 2012, 14:23

@mike
            No problem, you haven’t come across grumpy anyway.

I guess of the issue is that events at the start of the race are, whether rightly or wrongly, typically treated more leniently.

• F1 FunAttic said on 26th November 2012, 11:36

@matt90
        (1)He braked at the right time/distance for a wetlap, a few meters ahead of the normal dry braking point.
        (2)he was not attempting to outbrake, either by racing line grip or locking wheels, hamilton, as he was clearly faster and had already passed hamilton a few metres before the brake point.
        (3)hamilton kind of precipitated the crash by being a little too defensive – look at him lock up his wheels at the last moment. If he hadnt, he wouldnt have been at the spot where the FI car’s tail was lashing.
        (4)the timing of the backmarker to be at that place when despite having braked at a safe point under wet conditions, hulkenberg was losing grip, only prompted hulknberg to take some sort of evasive action, the unlucky recepient of which was hamilton.
        It was a racing incident, and IMO hulkenberg should not have been handed a penalty.

• tvm (@) said on 26th November 2012, 12:13

He left the dry track and made a hail mary into the wet, totally correct to penalize

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 13:14

The idea that Hamilton was responsible just by being there isn’t something I’m even going to allow time to consider. That’s the same attitude some people had when excusing Maldonado in Valencia because Hamilton supposedly didn’t need to be there. I guess every driver about to be overtaken should jump out of the way rather than trust their competitor not to hit them. Hamilton was defensive only so much as he didn’t decide to give up the place- he allowed miles of room.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 26th November 2012, 6:18

Wasn’t Lewis locking his wheels way before the braking zone to avoid a Caterham? I think it was a clear indication that a move there as too optimistic.

• Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 26th November 2012, 7:34

Regardless of who was to blame, I think a “sorry we took you out of your last race” is enough of a reason to apologize.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 26th November 2012, 10:14

I completely agree. Besides, I do think it was Hulkenberg’s fault not to weigh track conditions properly. I mean the guy actually drifted onto Hamilton, I understand he wanted to turn, but at that speed he lost his rear. That is a fault which has – had – less serious consequences for Alonso twice. But Hulkenberg knew he had other cars around him, he should have been more cautious.

I guess the pressure of being at the front in those intense circumstances finally got to him. It is typically an inexperienced error, Hamilton is right. I also think Hulkenberg is a great driver for the future, he displayed great progress in the second half of the season, and I fear for him – I think it does not help him, if he does not acknowledge his errors.

It could also be that he actually acknowledged it to himself (which is what really counts), but refused to do so to Hamilton, because (1) he would have been seen weaker, and (2) Hamilton is more upset this way.

• F1 FunAttic said on 26th November 2012, 11:43

@atticus-2

But Hulkenberg..should have been more cautious.

When grosjean drove into de la rosa, caution should have been excercised. When Raikkonen decided to lock his wheels and take the runoff area to avoid hitting vettel on lap 1, that was a best example of caution.
          But if you were to keep excercizing caution for an overtaking attempt, in today’s F1 scenario where cars finding thesmselves in overtaking conditions are extremely rare, that is no less than asking for killing racing itself.

• For heaven’s sake, Hamilton isn’t retiring, he’s just moving to another team, why is everyone carrying on as if he’s leaving the sport!!!,

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 26th November 2012, 21:58

@mouse_nightshirt There’s no need for Hulk to get so precious about it, or Hamilton for that matter. Why would Hulk care it’s his last race for McLaren when he has the chance to win the race?

2. As for Hulk, maybe he was afraid to go apologize because he heard the legend of the H.A.M. I’ll keep an eye on Twitter for the mea culpa. I think that’s how the young people do it now.

As for Vet’s comments. Curious that he now needs to talk about how he overcame the loss of EBD (rear stability under braking) and how as a result he could not use his “tricks.” Webber doesn’t have tricks and Webber was quicker than Vettel before this apparent “step” came in that made the car more to Vettel’s liking and relativly less so for Webber. It’s interesting to see how much Vettel’s recent success ties to RBRs mastery of EBD. Now, don’t people go saying that I’m bashing Vettel. The flip-side of this adapatability issue is that he was much better than Webber to exploit the technology available.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 26th November 2012, 1:27

@dmw Obviously it’s hard to make a car that suits the two drivers… but considering their knowledge with this technology, it’s quite easy to see why they ended up going Vettel’s way.

I’ve read that the way the EBD worked was counter-intuitive. So if the car was oversteering, instead of lifting off, they had to floor it. Reminded me of that story about Lauda in the fan-Brabham, accelerating over oil spilled on the track.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 26th November 2012, 6:29

@dmw Newey adjusted the car to suit their best driver, apparently it paid off. #justsayin’

We all know that motorsports is a combination of man and machine, and seems that Vettel matches perfectly with Newey ideas, I wonder how would he survive without him.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 26th November 2012, 7:57

You do know that Webber was actually only faster than Vettel in 3 races his entire year? Even when ‘Webber was quicker’, Webber only beat Vettel on-track in China, Monaco and Silverstone.

3. Steven Burns (@stevensanph) said on 26th November 2012, 1:13

How was it not Hulks fault? Hamilton went as wide as he could to avoid him, but Hulk had out braked himself. The stewards also thought it was his fault as he got a drive through!!

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th November 2012, 1:14

I had to laugh at these comments from Kimi Raikkonen, claiming that he knew where he was going when he took to the support paddock pit lane. Given that the gate to the lane was closed, he clearly had no idea at all.

• He said it was open last year. But, he says, “Next year I’ll make sure it’s open again…”
      This guy is a stitch.

This is almost as amusing as his Tron-style dandruff shampoo commercial airing on Speed.

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 26th November 2012, 1:27

He knew exactly where he was going. Up the support pitlane.
      The only thing he didnt know was that the gate at the end was closed.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 26th November 2012, 1:28

@prisoner-monkeys
      If you had taken the time to read the article, instead of running here to bash Räikkönen as you usually do, you would’ve noticed that what Räikkönen actually says is:

“Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pitlane, but you have to go through a gate.

“I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time.

“Next year I’ll make sure it’s open again…”

The headline was probably just reporters interpretation in order to make a funny reference to Kimi’s Abu Dhabi radio messages.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th November 2012, 6:06

@hotbottoms – Oh, I read the article. But as Martin Brundle pointed out during the commentary, he should have checked the lane beforehand. Raikkonen simply assumed it was open because it was open eleven years ago, so more fool him.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 26th November 2012, 8:30

@prisoner-monkeys
          Classic. Bashing a driver for something they never did say or do, and changing the subject after that is pointed out as if you were never wrong.

Räikkönen isn’t saying it was a smart thing to do or that the gate should’ve been open. He’s simply telling the reporter (most likely because the reporter asked) why he chose that route – because he had used it in 2001.

But I guess there is no point in arguing, since we’ll soon be talking about Kimi’s bad additude, his shameful first half of the 2009 season, his alcohol use or something like that…

• JCost (@jcost) said on 26th November 2012, 6:35

That was hillarious. One of the best drivers of the season lost at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace.

It really was the race of the year, with great passes, drama and… bloopers.

Brazil for season finale forever, please!

• This would be fun

Engineer : Ok kimi , take a u turn .

Kimi : I know what I am doing .

……….end of transmission

5. Kobayashi24 (@kobayashi24) said on 26th November 2012, 1:29

Haha what a little girl. “Waa he didn’t say sorry, waa!” How do you feel now that he did? All better?

6. Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 1:51

I find it amusing Hamilton talking about “inexperienced” drivers.

7. Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 1:56

Wow, That footage regarding Vettel’s overtake is very clear. There is very obviously yellows out on the track. O.o

There’s a few things I didn’t like in this race, Hulkenburg makes and honest mistake, getting our of shape on a damp/wet track, and he gets a penalty. Vettel turns in on Senna. Penalty? Nope. Nothing.

Vettel has gotten away with a lot this race.

• Mike (@mike) said on 26th November 2012, 1:59

Actually, hold on that yellow one. I’m not sure anymore. Just because, it looks yellow, but it isn’t flashing.

• glue (@glue) said on 26th November 2012, 2:15

Senna came from a long way behind, he lunged past two cars in the braking zone, there was no way Vettel could have seen him

• Drew B said on 26th November 2012, 7:25

On Italian tv it looked like it was 100 percent senna’s fault. Then I see sky with this touch screen business to show it was all vettel’s fault. If you look at the incident without all the tv tricks it appears as a simple racing incident. Good job by stewards there IMO. By the way has anyone pulled out the infamous A Senna gap quote yet for hulkenberg? Because normally there’s boat loads of people yelling at drivers for not being racers. I’m happy hulk went for it personally-nice drama.

• AldoG said on 26th November 2012, 8:54

To me it was clear that there was a yellow flag there…
      But it is history now.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th November 2012, 14:07

I can’t believe anyone thought for a second it was a yellow flag situation. Brundle and Croft surely must have known that yellows actually flash. The fact all of the lights weren’t flashing is enough to tell most people they weren’t yellows at all.

8. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 26th November 2012, 2:15

Hhahaha and by some comments Hamilton hating continues around here. Ludicrous.
    Brilliant race. Vettel deserved the title, great driver. Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso , plus Raikonnen, Button, Rosberg, Massa, etc. shows that F1 is in excelent shape regarding drivers. People will look at this time and feel jealeous, as we feel about the 80′s (well, at least i do).

9. crr917 (@crr917) said on 26th November 2012, 2:24

Hulkenberg sure is inexperienced in PR stunts – an apology is real only when it is said in front of a hundred cameras XD

10. SafirXP (@) said on 26th November 2012, 2:35

Lol! I’m a total Lewis fanboy myself & also a Hulk fan from his A1GP & GP2 days. Its just an unfortunate incident. Lewis isn’t a good loser & quite immature (off the track) to be honest. But he’s driven really, really well this year, better than the past 5 years I’d say. I don’t think he’d have reacted that way if it wasn’t his last race for McLaren. This comment came out of bitter disappointment, nothing more.

• SafirXP (@) said on 26th November 2012, 2:46

P.S. Just saw his post race comments/quotes from F1.com – “As for today, I don’t remember too much about the accident with Nico (Hulkenberg), but he came to see me after the race, which was nice.”

• sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 26th November 2012, 13:57

Lewis isn’t a good loser

Really? If anything, he’s been anything but a bad loser this year. But being Lewis, I’m sure there are many people like you who simply won’t acknowledge that.

• SafirXP (@) said on 26th November 2012, 14:58

• Moosehead said on 26th November 2012, 16:09

Bad loser, Good loser…. the common word there is loser.
        lol, I am sorry, I couldn’t resist making a joke, please don’t take this serious.

• andy rus said on 26th November 2012, 21:58

respect to Hamilton this year, i say
          he didnt go on tv and flame hulkenberg like he could have, he said something like “i dont quite remember” (AS IF!) and changed the subject
          i think he has learned from his monaco 2011? outburst when he clashed with massa and maldonado that you dont go spouting off about other drivers on tv and do it in private (perhaps vettel and alonso should take note!?)

• SafirXP (@) said on 27th November 2012, 11:30

@Moodsehead: Hee hee! No need for apologies.

@sebsronnie: When I said Lewis is a bad loser, I didn’t mean he’s a sore loser. There’s a difference mate. Losing makes you stronger & more determined. I praise & sometimes criticise Lewis as a fan, not a hater.

11. Shariz said on 26th November 2012, 3:13

I have question to all…

Y wasn’t Vettel’s incident in the 1st lap not investigated? Nico Hulk was penalised even though lost control of his car, whereas Vettel cut in and ruined other’s race as well??? Really confused???

And has any driver in the past with a car slower than 1 second (average) was able to fight for the championship till the end???

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 26th November 2012, 9:08

First lap incidents are usually less looked into because it’s always such a mess and regular “racing line” arguments don’t hold.

Unless Hamilton is (was) involved of course. Then they dish out drive-through penalties for braking too late (even when everybody did).

Besides it’s pretty much a racing incident. Vettel loses the car, recovers, is still ahead and cuts back to his racing line while Senna is already there. Vettel probably couldn’t even see Senna there.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 26th November 2012, 11:03

Ah yes, Fuji 08. It’s amazing how many times I think about certain rules and think “oh yes, that’s what normally happens… Oh, apart from when Hamilton did it”

12. Dev (@dev) said on 26th November 2012, 4:03

Hulk’s pace in a car which was half a second slower than the best car out there was impressive. I always thought McLaren should have gone for Hulk to replace Ham.

• mantresx said on 26th November 2012, 5:47

Well that would’ve been awkward! making your future team loose 2nd in the constructors is not the best way to finish the season, anyway in F1 results have to come at the right time and Sauber started really well in the first half of the season, the opposite of Force India which was strong only in the final races. That’s why I don’t blame them for choosing Pérez, speaking of, did anyone see the last TOONED episode? that has to be best of the series :)

• Drew B said on 26th November 2012, 7:34

I don’t get at all why McLaren just didn’t wait. I mean they’re a big team so they can afford to wait. Or am I wrong and they need Perez’s sponsorship money? Anyway SP is good but I think Hulk could be better. We’ll see but I think both drivers have potential and both beat their teammates.

13. Hamilton had to say it, didn’t he? Who’s the immature one here? It was clearly a loss of grip on a wet track and the Caterham up ahead made it worse. Anyway, he spoke too soon, as Nico clearly apologised later.

14. Anonymouse said on 26th November 2012, 5:20

For Alonso to believe that Grosejan had lost him the title,
    1) How did the botched passing attempt against Maldonado go in China? – Easy 4 points lost for nothing
    2) How did the inability to pass Pic in Spain work? – Easiest 7 points gone

But the biggest failure on your part which you will never accept was squeezing Kimi when you had the inside line and heaps of space on your right in Suzuka. You lost 25 points in the championship lead that day. And the best you could remember about Suzuka was Vettel not getting penalised? You will never win another championship as long as you don’t own up to your mistakes. The one thing history has reminded from 2007 Fuji, 2010 Hockenheim and 2012 Austin is that you never win a chmpionship by manipulation. Stop politiking and just drive. You have better chances that way.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 26th November 2012, 7:38

Six years drought is making him nervous.

• Alonso has a point (but as you don’t like him, you clearly miss it). Suzuka was barely even his fault – if that had been Grosjean or Maldonado who clipped Alonso, they’d have been penalised immediately, but as it’s Kimi people choose to see something different.

Alonso deserved something more from this season (as did the whole Ferrari team – bar the car designers!!). They worked tremendously well together to give Fernando the best chance possible and he almost did it. If you don’t consider the quality he has shown this year to be Championship worthy, then I am not sure what quality you do think deserves it!

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 27th November 2012, 2:38

The saddest part of Alonso’s post season commentary of blaming others for him not winning the WDC is that he is using up all the good will he built up for himself this season. He seemed to act more mature, drove the hell out of a car that was not the fastest and most of the time let his driving do the talking for him. Now he is trying to throw all that away instead of just being gracious and then fighting the battles next season on the track. Everybody already knows how close the WDC points were and that either driver’s season could have turned on any number of incidents throughout the campaign.

Just when I was almost starting to respect Alonso a little bit as a person while already immensely respecting his superior driving skills all along. A wise person told me many times, actions speak louder than words. Alonso’s actions while driving have spoken volumes. He should let it go at that because in this day and age the words get repeated so loud and so often that they may obscure his actions.

15. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 26th November 2012, 6:02

I see a lot of people are apologizing for Hulkenberg’s move because the track was wet. I think the track was a lot wetter off the racing line, and a driver attempting a pass should take that into account. He didn’t, and went into the corner too fast, taking out the guy he was trying to overtake. A penalty was justified in my opinion.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 26th November 2012, 7:18

I am inclined to see it the same way, even if I felt gutted when it happened, because it spoiled a bit of tension. Seeing it top on in, it was clear that Hulk was on the wet part there, and given how good he had been at treading the damp track, he must have felt that braking late would be a big risk.

Still, I think it might have been enough to have given him just a reprimand, or treat it as an unfortunate acicident in slippery conditions.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 26th November 2012, 19:12

Hulk would have had DRS after the traffic, as he was so close.
        His lack of patience was not ‘unfortunate’ but rather immature.
        He’s been driving extremely well! That penalty will help curb his enthusiasm in future, and those are the growing pains.

1 2 3