Hamilton: “The dude didn’t even say sorry”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Interlagos, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton criticises Nico Hulkenberg after his last race for McLaren was ended by the Force India driver.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Lewis Hamilton denied McLaren farewell win by Nico Hulkenburg crash (The Guardian)

“The dude didn’t even come and say sorry and that says a lot. That’s what happens when you race with a less experienced driver.”

Defeated Alonso hails best season yet (Autosport)

“The championship was not lost here. The championship was lost when [Romain] Grosjean flew over my head [at Spa] or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan.”

Brazilian GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

“It was one of the toughest races I?ve had. It was very tricky. It was on that point many times when you think Inters is the right tyre. I kept asking the team ‘what?s going to happen with the weather: it?s supposed to be light showers?’ Well OK, we?ll see how we go but it was so, so difficult. You?re locking up tyres here and there but you?ve just got to push to the limit. You have to wait for the team to give you the information about all the other people on [intermediates] so it?s not just about driving the car at that point.”

Sebastian Vettel Transcript (FIA)

“Since the start of the season, we were fighting with the car, the car wasn’t similar to last year’s, I couldn’t… it’s difficult for you to understand, but I couldn’t use my tricks or my style to make it work and manipulate the car the way I liked. I didn’t have enough rear stability mostly to work with the brakes and get the car into the corners, to the apex, the way I like. We tried everything and I think at some stage, we just did a step that was big enough and in the right direction that allowed me to do more of what I like, so naturally it came in our direction.”

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Interlagos, 2012‘Vettel’s move was legal’ (Sky)

Martin Brundle: “I’ve spoken to Gary Connolly, one of the race stewards, and he has absolutely confirmed that they were red-and-yellow boards – didn’t look much like that from the somewhat grainy and rainy yellow on-board footage, did it?”

All sevens for Schumacher on F1 farewell (Reuters)

“I enjoyed most of it. It wasn’t as successful as we wanted it to be but still I learned a lot for life and I’m quite glad for the good emotions again. Now is a good time to go…”

2013 Starts now (Toro Rosso)

“We know we have made significant progress in the second part of the year and along with changes in terms of our infrastructure and how the team is run, we can be optimistic about 2013.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

I think @RyanWilliams captured the spirit of F1 Fanatic brilliantly with this one:

Best race of the year, hands down.

Suspense from start to finish, battles up and down the field and a worthy champion at the end.

PS: I?m a Ferrari fan!
@RyanWilliams

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Carlos Santos and Nick!

On this day in F1

Bernie Ecclestone was mugged in London on this day two years ago.

Ecclestone, who was 80 at the time, quickly bounced back from the ordeal and later appeared in an advert for his chosen brand of watches displaying the injuries he had received.

Images ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team, Daimler/Hoch Zwei

176 comments on Hamilton: “The dude didn’t even say sorry”

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 26th November 2012, 7:25

Funny what people make of an elephant out of Hamilton saying its a bit of a shame Hulk did not say sorry. I think he is right, and its good that Hulk did come to say sorry. After all, if we want these guys to race professionally, accepting your mistakes is a big part of that.

On that same note, while Vettel is a great guy and fabulous driver, maybe he should have held back a bit on Senna, because

I got the hit in turn four for no reason. I don’t know what happened. I think someone probably… I think it was Bruno, I was told it was Bruno… he was probably fighting someone into turn four. It was drizzling since the start of the formation lap and it was quite slippery in turn four, we knew that. Maybe he forgot.

is not what happened. It was Vettel failing to give Senna room there.

Then again, this was straight after the race, so there was not much time to go through that before the press conference, what with celebrating the 3r straight championship win and all.

• yes . vettel always tends to tuck in after overtaking without bothering . Turkey 2010 , with narain also i think , and now this . He assumes people should just move out of the way . It was funny to see webber actually going for glory trying to pressurize vettel . A bit illogical however , I don’t think they are best teammates :P

• dennis (@dennis) said on 26th November 2012, 11:25

I don’t know why Vettel was supposed to give Senna room, who despite braking a bit optimistically into the corner still only managed to hit Vettel just infront of the rear tyre.
      Senna was in no situation to go there and attempt an overtaking. He had cars next to him and crashed into Vettel who was on his normal racing line.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was a dumb move by Senna, but claiming it was Vettel’s fault is daft.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 16:08

Perhaps he was assuming that due to the chaotic start with cars darting everywhere, Vettel wouldn’t take the corner as he normally would (going from outside to apex), and would keep a constant distance between himself and the apex.

2. I find it surprising that McLaren who are famous (or infamous) for controlling their drivers’ statements to the press have never managed to get a handle on Hamilton’s outbursts. It’s the same old thing as with all the drivers, ‘it wasn’t me, it was the other bloke. ‘ Maybe he’ll finally grow up under Brawn’s guidance and concentrate on his talent instead of behaving like a twit.

• sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 26th November 2012, 14:10

Behaving like a twit? Because he’s unhappy after being shunted out of a potential race winning position in his last race for the team through no fault of his own? That’s what you call an outburst? Ridiculous!

• Jason (@jason12) said on 26th November 2012, 19:19

Wonder what you would have to say about the SWEARING Vettels resorts to, after such incidents??

• Jason (@jason12) said on 26th November 2012, 19:22

And oh, If he’s not concentrating in his driving at the moment, then the other guys must really untalented :D

3. dennis (@dennis) said on 26th November 2012, 7:54

Interesting in “auto motor sport” it says Hülkenberg went to Hamilton after the race to apologize.
    Was that a wrong statement? Was Hamilton too trigger-happy on his twitter-account again?

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 26th November 2012, 8:33

The whole Guardian article is a non-story. Lots of words typed about how Hamilton thinks Hulkenburg was wrong not to apologise, then a little one-line addition that invalidates the whole story, but ‘Hamilton said something, lets make a story of it’.

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 26th November 2012, 10:06

Looks like an “Aaargh, here comes my deadline…this’ll do” story to me.

Maybe Lewis needs a big banner saying “Bernie says: Think Before You Speak”, as he’d better get used to having run-ins with Hulkenberg, and all the other “less experienced” guys in the midfield next year.

Nico said sorry on the track with his drive-through, and also managed to leave his current team without needing to tell the world how “emotional” it would be for him.

• Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 26th November 2012, 9:12

@dennis He said that in a BBC interview after the race so maybe Hulkenberg hadn’t had the time to see him as of that interview.

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th November 2012, 8:31

If looks could kill, Romain Grosjean would be a dead man.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 26th November 2012, 9:54

Is that from the moment we saw Kimi going on the old track?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th November 2012, 10:05

@prisoner-monkeys – I have no idea. It’s from the BBC’s feed, which isn’t the same as the world feed; I never saw it during the telecast. Given that Grosjean crashed out before lap 10, it really could have been broadcast at any time during the next 61 laps, so I’m afraid I don’t know.

I know I’ve taken it out of context slightly, but the sources that I got it from have taken it out of context even further – it was shown during discussions of Romain Grosjean’s future, the obvious implication being that Eric Boullier is unimpressed with his latest mistake. Which is rather, given that publicly Boullier has been piling praise and reassurance on Grosjean, but privately it appears he is unhappy – and in the meantime, Grosjean doesn’t have a contract with Lotus for 2013 (that we know of).

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 26th November 2012, 10:06

Hahaha! That’s amazing!

5. Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 26th November 2012, 8:36

It seems everyone who watched on Sky has come away with a head full of conspiracy theories. I guess Brundle’s commentary style was shaped in the Schumacher era, when coming up with theories about yellow flags etc. was literally the only way to keep people’s attention. There was no mention of the (red-and-)yellow flags ‘incident’ at any stage in the BBC coverage.

6. BigAlex said on 26th November 2012, 8:45

Great race, F1 should be like that always. Alonso: some kind of miracle to him to win (it did almost happen). Vettel: deserved it, he proved that can start from anywhere and win a race. Hamilton: no doubt he flies like nobody else, but some luck is needed sometimes (ask Alonso about it), and to the other drivers (with respect): try to combine the skills of these three drivers and for sure we´ll have a new champions in 2013… and nooo, Grosjan skills is not included.

7. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 26th November 2012, 9:16

It’s pretty clear that Vettel overtook under the yellow flag. The yellow lights are on. What does a yellow and red flag several corners earlier have to do with anything?

I don’t get McNish’s argument that Vettel couldn’t give the spot back because Kobayashi pitted. How is that relevant? Ask Alonso what happens when the guy who you illegally overtook pits (Kubica) or Button (on Massa)

It’s like the commenters are desperately trying to make the steward’ mistake to go away. Of course it’s not in their interest that their is controversy about F1 (maybe even contractually so), but still. Just like the colossal blunder when they penalised Schumacher for overtaking Alonso under green after the restart in Monaco. Not just the fact that they did penalise Schumacher, but also that they commented that a 25 second penalty was the only option they had. BTW notice that now in Brazil the yellow lights and SC sign where upheld after the SC peeled off.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th November 2012, 9:23

@patrickl

Of course it’s not in their interest that their is controversy about F1

On the contrary, of course it is. This is exactly the sort of story Sky want to push as they attempt to attract subscribers from the BBC by trying to present themselves as being more informed. They want people to watch their programmes and read their headlines and above all pay for their exorbitantly expensive coverage.

I’m sure there are people at Sky who genuinely believe they had it right and they were correct to pursue it if that’s what they believed. But when even Ferrari are saying they don’t think Vettel did anything wrong it’s hard to go along with them on this one.

I gave my explanation of how I saw it in the race report:

Button wins intense race as Vettel recovers to seal third championship

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th November 2012, 9:31

@keithcollantine

Or maybe the BBC just missed it. I imagine they get the world feed as we do, and while Brundle and Croft discussed it on air with a replay accompanying it, it was never shown on the world feed. It’s a bit hard for the BBC to discuss something that isn’t shown.

Or, for all we know, one of the BBC production crew spotted that it was a red and yellow flag, so the BBC saw no reason to discuss it on air, and Sky were the ones who missed an important detail (for whatever reason).

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 26th November 2012, 9:59

To me it does show a lack of professionalism that they were not able to stop speculation about something sinister earlier on Sky. Isn’t that what they have Lee, Nataly and Ted for?

The same question arose on twitter and on Speed. Will Buxton came up with both the news that Ferrari had asked the Stewards to look at it AND the information that it was a flag for a slippery track and not a yellow there before the middle of the race. Still Sky did not pick up and went on with the conspiracy theory.
        The BBC wisely chose not to get into this non-story, as their team on the ground would have probably been asking insiders about it too.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 26th November 2012, 10:53

I doubt the BBC ‘wisely chose’ to do anything. It think it’s more likely that they missed it, given how often they miss even more glaring issues. Fortunately because I also had F1F live I was aware of it during the race – I was amazed that it didn’t even get a passing mention from the BBC.

To suggest that the BBC shouldn’t mention it or show the replay because it wasn’t clear that it was a yellow flag is like saying that they shouldn’t bother mentioning or replaying Button overtaking Hamilton and then being immediately overtaken again on the basis that they ended up back in the same positions.

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 26th November 2012, 10:31

I think it’s Sky editorial policy. In their coverage, they’ve always tried to generate or invent controversy and oppose the officials in charge of the sport. They’re at the forefront of the campaign to bring TV replays into football – and so any match analysis on British TV has become mostly replays and freeze frames questioning a decision already made by the officials. (This includes BBC and ITV who have copied or assimilated much of the Sky style).

Personally I’ve never liked this kind of self-important coverage, trying to impose its own set of rules – and I’m not sorry I missed out on it yesterday. Martin Brundle’s statements sounded pretty embarrassed.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 26th November 2012, 15:38

@Keith Collantine

It’s not allowed to overtake when there is a yellow flag. Not half way not at all. Especially when your explanation doesn’t math with the explanation that the stewards gave (“yellow/red flag so no yellow flag at all”) means that that’s not how it went at all.

And then of course there is the second incident of where he overtook under yellow.

With Ferrari I really think they don’t want the controversy on their sport. Complaining now about a yellow flag achieves them nothing, but it does damage the sport when it’s shown that the stewards are so incapable that they miss Vettel overtaking under yellow not once, but twice.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th November 2012, 0:52

@patrickl

It’s not allowed to overtake when there is a yellow flag.

Obviously. Which is why the rules on where the yellow flag areas are defined are important, yet you seem to have overlooked or ignored them (more here).

With Ferrari I really think they don’t want the controversy on their sport.

I genuinely laughed out loud when I read that. We’re barely a week on from Ferrari purposefully sabotaging the chances of one of their drivers and suddenly they are the guardians of sporting integrity?

If Indianapolis ’02, A1-Ring ’02, Hockenheim ’10, Austin ’12 and a litany of other examples have taught us anything, it’s that there is no limit to the damage Ferrari will do to F1 to win.

The idea that Ferrari, who crave a drivers’ championship victory for Alonso like nothing else, would let one slip out of a desire not to drag the sport into controversy is beyond naive. As is the idea they would overlook any infraction on Vettel’s part. Which is precisely why Pat Fry was so quick to respond in the negative when asked if Vettel’s move on Kobayashi was illegal.

8. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 26th November 2012, 9:20

So that’s it. Game over, season over.
    I wonder when the next time we be when we have six former World Champions on the grid at the same time . . . unless Schumacher does another ‘Farewell Tour’ season.l

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 26th November 2012, 10:36

Not for a while, I think the next two titles at least are Vettel’s or Alonso’s…but you never know.
      I liked the drivers’ group photo, with all the champions on the front row. Much better than the usual noah’s-ark team-by-team arrangement.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 16:14

Unless Perez pulls something out of the bag in the next couple of years, or Webber/Vettel is replaced by somebody in 2014 who becomes a lead driver. It’s hard to look past any of the existing champions taking the next several titles otherwise.

9. After frequenting this website multiple times a day for the last year or so I’m convinced people dislike Lewis Hamilton for reasons other than his racing and behavior.

I do not see what is wrong if he wears earrings, dates a celebrity, or is into hip hop culture. If the man does his job, which he does very well, he can wear or say what he wants. I also really do not understand what is wrong with wanting an apology.

As an American I cannot help but see similarities between Lewis and the way President Obama is treated by some. Some people seem to hate them for no good reason at all. I have my beliefs as to why this is but I also believe there is no point trying to change such people’s minds.

Luckily for Lewis, he is probably significantly richer than those that hate him, and he actually drives F1 cars as opposed to hating online against those that do. I hope he is on a beach somewhere laughing at us all.

10. chemakal said on 26th November 2012, 13:01

Just found new footage on Vettel overtaking HRT under blinking yellow flag:

11. taurus (@taurus) said on 26th November 2012, 13:07

Hulkenberg should never have got the drive through. Its ridiculous drivers are being penalised for doing the one thing they are supposed to do – racing. Accidents happen.

• I kind of agree, but I’ve always felt that drivers who ruin other driver’s races or cause them retire should not be allowed to get away with it.

• Dave (@davea86) said on 26th November 2012, 14:44

It seems to be the way the stewards operate although I’ve always thought it weird that a driver gets punished for the outcome of an incident rather then the actual act the driver commits.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 26th November 2012, 16:21

Crashing into another driver =/= racing.

If he hadn’t been given a drive through, he would have stayed behind Button. It doesn’t seem fair to me that a driver would be in 2nd, accidentally eliminate the leader during a botched overtake, then resume 2nd.

12. Hulkenberg did actually say sorry to Lewis, as reported by this tweet of McLaren: http://twitter.com/TheFifthDriver/status/272797452216721409

13. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 26th November 2012, 14:19

Was I the only one who had a “Big Lebowsky” memory at reading Hamilton’s comment?

Anyway, I see Hulk now apologised via twitter so I suppose that goes to show that drives do need their phones close by when they get out of the car (or in the car?) so they can do that as soon as possible :)

14. But this is what HAM said after the race: “As for today, I don’t remember too much about the accident with Nico (Hulkenberg), but he came to see me after the race, which was nice.” (as stated at Formula1.com)

15. Nikos (@azwris) said on 26th November 2012, 17:22

It was the German’s fault, he could’ve apologized to Lewis. Maybe he doesn’t like the fact that Hailton is driving for Mercedes next year while he….;)