Bottas joins Maldonado at Williams for 2013

2013 F1 season

Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Jerez, 2012Valtteri Bottas will make his Formula One race debut for Williams next year, the team has confirmed.

Bottas will partner Pastor Maldonado at the team, leaving Bruno Senna without a drive for the 2013 season.

Team principal Frank Williams said: “In Pastor and Valtteri we have two of the most exciting talents in motor racing and I am especially excited about what 2013 can bring for Williams.

“Pastor has always demonstrated remarkable pace and this year has seen him mature as a racing driver. Valtteri is quite simply one of the most talented young racing drivers I have come across and we expect great things from him in the future.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our departing driver Bruno Senna for his hard work over the past year and wish him the best of luck going forward.”

Bottas said it was the accomplishment of a “lifelong dream” to make his F1 debut with “one of the most legendary teams in the sport”.

“I?ve really enjoyed my three years with Williams so far and feel very at home here so my goal was always to stay for 2013 and progress to a race seat,” he added. “I?m looking forward to getting my Formula One career started and enjoying a lot of success with Williams.”

The 23-year-old made 15 appearances for the team in Formula One practice sessions during this season after winning the GP3 title last year.

Bottas’s credentials include two wins in the prestigious F3 Masters race in 2009 and 2010, and victories in the Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup and Northern European Championship in 2008.

He is the second rookie driver to be confirmed for the 2013 F1 season, following Esteban Gutierrez’s confirmation at Sauber.

Maldonado added: “I?m really enjoying my time with Williams and I was obviously very happy when I was told that I would be continuing with the team in 2013. 2012 was a memorable year for me with the win in Barcelona and we made a big step forward in terms of performance. I have a lot of confidence in the team and hopefully next year will see us move even further up the grid and taste more success.”

See the updated list of 2013 F1 drivers and teams

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

91 comments on Bottas joins Maldonado at Williams for 2013

1. Oblong_Cheese (@oblong_cheese) said on 28th November 2012, 11:02

Two Finns and two Australians in the field. Opposite personalities yet they are my favourite types of drivers!

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 28th November 2012, 13:17

Hopefully Heikki will get resigned for next year to make it three Finns.

• @jonathanproc – I’m not so sure now. He has been out-classed by Petrov recently, who is himself not exactly a world-class driver. I think he would make a great team leader at Force India though, to tame Di Resta and get him back to form (I don’t think he’s capable of leading a team at this curtent moment in time).

As for the then obviously vacant seat at Caterham, as much as I like Vitaly I’d rather see Van Der Garde at Caterham. Would having two relative rookies be a mistake though?

• socksolid (@socksolid) said on 30th November 2012, 7:35

I’d not say petrov has outclassed heikki in any way. Look at the races, look at the lap times, look at pitstop lengths. Heikki has been solid performer, petrov just got lucky few times. Let’s not forget who has been the caterham driver in the last 3 years who has always been there to use the chances to get in q2 in qualies and who has been the better racer.

People who say petrov has out-classed kovalainen are just ignorant people who just look at the race results but don’t actually understand what they see. Just because petrov and caterham had the luckiest race of their whole career in brazil does not mean petrov is better than kovalainen.

Just look at the lap times from the brazil race for example and see for yourself.

2. James (@jamesf1) said on 28th November 2012, 11:03

Someone needs to tell Toto they dropped the wrong driver.

3. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 28th November 2012, 11:05

He really deserved a racing seat in F1. Congratulations!

4. Troy Longstaff (@troylongstaff) said on 28th November 2012, 11:06

I think Pastor has actually done a pretty decent job this year. Yes, he’s had some crashes and some brain-fade moments, but his raw speed is undeniable, he just needs to mature a little bit more. Bottas, good luck to him, I reckon the hype could be worth it!

5. The right decision, nice to see talent prevail over dollars. Can’t wait to see Bottas perform next year.

6. Well I think Senna had enough chances to show something of himself. He wasn’t bad this year, but he wasn’t good either. He never showed he was capable of bringing home big points for the team. I suppose with the money he can bring to a team, he might still get a drive next year.

• tallbloke (@tallbloke) said on 28th November 2012, 12:42

But then when you miss 15 practices – or setup days to hone your cars setup that will effect your races and outright pace. I do believe that had he been given a equal chance to the crash bandit he would have been of equal or better results.

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th November 2012, 11:12

That he’s quick doesn’t seem to be in doubt but will he be race-rusty after spending a year out of competition?

8. sumedh said on 28th November 2012, 11:21

I hope Williams builds a fast car next year as well. I am particularly betting on Maldonado on having a brilliant season. He seemed to have cut down on the penalties late last season without losing his outright pace.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th November 2012, 13:15

Wouldn’t be surprising me if they use testing to perfect the coanda exhaust so they can leave it on, work out their frontwing stalling (they went back to Spain spec. I think later in the year?) and take the rest from the current car, with that it should be already a pretty fast machine.

9. Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 28th November 2012, 11:28

As a Finnish F1 spectator I’m extremely delighted to see yet another Finn entering the sport!

We’ve been lucky to have a driver in the series ever since 1991 (even though JJLehto did attend some Grands Prix in 1989 and 1990) and two drivers on every season since then bar 1993 (Häkkinen drove only two Grands Prix), 2003-2006 and 2010-2011.

I was secretly hoping that we’d see three Finns in Formula One for the first time since 1994 Australian Grand Prix, but it doesn’t look like Heikki will be on the grid next season.

• Metallion (@metallion) said on 28th November 2012, 11:36

Same here, very happy to see Bottas racing for Williams next year. It’ll be great to see his performance in the races. Hopefully Heikki will continue but as you said, it doesn’t look too good. I read that he’s talking to Lotus but at the same time Grosjean is most likely to continue. It’d be pretty cool to have Kimi and Heikki at Lotus and Bottas at Williams:)

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 28th November 2012, 14:10

There’s always Nico, when he does well the Finnish media is sure to treat him as Finnish…

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 28th November 2012, 14:23

@kaiie
        I don’t know about that. That was possibly the case initially in 2006, but not anymore. At the time Nico used to represent himself (atleast in the Finnish media) often as a Finn, he even said in an interview in 2005 that he might attend Formula One with a Finnish licence (which everyone knew was bogus).

And I think most of the Finns have never regarded Nico as a Finnish driver – even Vettel talks more Finnish than Nico!

• As a Estonian F1 spectator I’m also extremely delighted. Finns are the most closest to us and I have been cheering for them since 1994 :) Go Kimi & Bottas!!!

10. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 28th November 2012, 11:40

Good riddance. Senna was pathetic and was even more of a danger on-track than Maldonado.

11. Kimi4WDC said on 28th November 2012, 11:51

A lot of expectations, Bottas got Kimi and Mika on his shoulders. Hopefully he got a good car under him to prove his worth!

12. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 28th November 2012, 12:09

Great news! I’m expecting him to be faster than Maldonado right from the start. He has shown some brilliant talent in friday practice sessions.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th November 2012, 13:17

Don’t forget that Maldonado has been rather quick too on several Saturdays, he did get that Spain first row on merit after all @huhhii, even if he then got pole from McLaren’s goof up.

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 28th November 2012, 13:43

@bosyber – Maldonado did have some strong weekends (Valencia, Catalunya, Abu Dhabi and Singapore comes to my mind right away) but he still fails to impress in big picture. Without a doubt he had the fastest Williams for a long time, which helped him to shine for example in Catalunya. And Maldonado had one of the weakest drivers in the grid in second Williams, so obviously he looked good compared to his team mate. So I think his suprisingly good car and slow team mate made him to look better than what he really is.

Good thing Williams let Bottas drive on Fridays, since now he already knows pretty much every track in the calendar.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th November 2012, 13:59

We’ll see @huhhii!

I think the Williams had a problem getting their car to work great midway through the season, while before and after that Maldonado showed great speed. But Bottos might well be faster, and maybe less indicent prone – let’s hope so for Williams, it would mean a great year ahead.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 28th November 2012, 13:59

One of the tracks he doesn’t know, however, is Australia, so I’m not sure we can expect him to be faster than Maldonado as soon as in his first race.

13. tee19810 (@tee19810) said on 28th November 2012, 12:41

I am extremely pleased by this announcement.
    A lot of people knock Maldonado but he has genuine pace evidenced by his Quali performances this year. He is the first Williams driver that has excited me in a number of years. Added to that he gained Williams first win in 8 YEARS ! That surely proves he has someting.
    As for Bottas im very excited by him aswell. Senna is a nice smiley guy but wasnt that fast in all honesty. I do however hope he gets the race seat at Caterham as has been rumoured.

Lastly, Williams were knocked from every angle last year for taking on Senna due to his money backing sponsors.
    Well, Bottas has been taking on talent alone as he doesnt have huge backing at all. I hope he lives up to the hype.

14. Enigma (@enigma) said on 28th November 2012, 13:01

Great! Always supported Finns in F1, really glad Valtteri will get the chance.

And we’ll see whether Maldonado can keep the consistency he’s had towards the end of the year, because he’s got the speed. If Williams keep going forward we could see quite a few podiums by Pastor and Valtteri next year.

Too bad Williams dropped Hulk – how awesome would a Hulkenberg-Bottas line-up be? I’d love it!

15. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th November 2012, 13:24

To be honest, while I feel sad for Senna, just a bit, I have felt for most of this year that he was really at Williams as a modern pay driver – not bad, certainly not, but only chosen over others because he had money (and the name? I think that’s an unfortunate shadow of the young man’s talent even if it helped him get sponsors, as he won’t ever outshine his uncle). The fact that Bottas got his car on so many Fridays made that quite clear.

So I am actually rather pleased with Williams decision, and think they now have two fast drivers, one who’s shown he can win races and with two years experience now, the other a fast young guy who can show his worth.