HRT missing from FIA’s 2013 F1 entry list

2013 F1 season

Pedro de la Rosa, HRT, Interlagos, 2012HRT do not appear on the 2013 F1 entry list published by the FIA.

The deadline for entries to the 2013 F1 season passed yesterday. HRT was put up for sale last month.

The list does not include the identities of Sauber, Toro Rosso or Caterham’s drivers, though most of these have been confirmed by the teams.

Force India and Marussia’s drivers are listed as yet to be confirmed, as is the identity of Kimi Raikkonen’s team mate at Lotus.

It also indicates that Nico Rosberg will use the number nine at Mercedes next year and new team mate Lewis Hamilton’s car will bear the number ten.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® HRT F1 Team

96 comments on HRT missing from FIA’s 2013 F1 entry list

1. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 1st December 2012, 19:50

So… 8 people will battle for Q3 ? Or will we loose 6 drivers in Q1 and 6 in Q2 ?

I think 22 cars is plenty. Less blue flag action.

On another note: am i the only one to be annoyed by the lack of N° 13 on the grid ? Superstition… how silly. And that in the 2013 season !

2. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 1st December 2012, 20:08

Very sad news.

From when I started watching F1, I have always had a certain respect for the teams near the back of the grid who are not winning, or even scoring points.

Kudos to a group of guys who really only wanted to go racing. Like Minardi before them, I will mourn their passing. Perhaps because they didn’t have an obvious “figurehead” at the helm and were owned by a bank, HRT never achieved the same cult status as Minardi did.

I’d bracket Sauber and formerly Jordan in a similar location – independents who want to go racing.

For me Force India are just one man’s vanity project, and don’t anyone dare try and tell me that Toro Rosso are the same as Minardi. Yes, they use the same factory and base but they bear as much relation to Minardi as “Lotus/Genii” does to Teddy Toleman’s outfit of the 1980’s.

Not a Minardi in my heart, but I for one shall mourn their passing and all-to-brief foray into F1.

All hail Stefan GP! :-)

3. Jordan (@jord93) said on 1st December 2012, 21:02

Yeah, sad to see a team go from the grid. But in a way, it does have me excited too. Think about it, with 12 cars now outside the top 10 in qualifying, 2 cars beside the Caterhams and Marussias should go out in Q1, hopefully it’ll be a bit more interesting!

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st December 2012, 23:44

That’s not really a surprise … or all that notable, to be honest. Teams traditionally give the leading number – in the case of Mercedes, the number 9 – to the driver who placed better in the previous World Championship, while incoming drivers like Hamilton typically get the second number. There are a few exceptions, of course, like when Mercedes gave Michael Schumacher the odd number in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Did anyone really think that Hamilton would get the number 9 next year? And did those same people think it would somehow be significant if he did? It’s just a number.

• Couldn’t agree more

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 2nd December 2012, 2:02

@prisoner-monkeys
      Lewis is a World champion though, traditionally out of respect they are given the lower number than the returning non champion team mate. This situation hadn’t happened for a long time though, 1995 was that previous time I think, Nigel Mansell took 9 and Hakkinen 10, 1994 Hakkinen had 7 and Brundle was 8. So it was normal that Schumacher had the lower number at Mercedes, not an exception. Actually the exception was Massa being given the lower number over Raikkonen in 2009.

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 2nd December 2012, 2:07

I forgot Massa 7 over Alonso 8 in 2010. Ferrari are the exception to the rule then ;-)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd December 2012, 2:17

@the-last-pope

No, they don’t.

Teams are free to assign their numbers to their drivers as they choose (with the obvious exception being the World Champion getting the number 1). There is no tradition involved that applies to the entire grid – teams may have their own preferred way of doing things, but there was never anything to suggest that Hamilton would absolutely get the number 9, least off all because he is a former World Champion and Rosberg is not. In fact, I cannot recall the last time a former champion joining a new team was given the leading number simply because he had been a champion in the past. Yes, Mercedes gave Michael Schumacher the number 3 in 2010 despite Rosberg having joined the team first, and they gave him the number 7 in 2011 and 2012 despite Rosberg beating him in the World Championship standings, but that was not done “out of respect” for Schumacher’s titles. It was done because Michael Schumacher is deeply superstitious – he is one of the most superstitious drivers in the sport – and prefers to race with odd numbers.

Lewis Hamilton might have beaten Nico Rosberg in the 2012 World Championship, but Nico Rosberg has been a part of Mercedes for three years, and Hamilton is only just joining them in 2013. Thus, Robserg gets the number 9 and Hamilton the number 10.

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 3rd December 2012, 23:24

@prisoner-monkeys

I gave you one example in 1995. Another example is 1994. Senna taking the #2 (lower number than #0) over Hill. Looking further back though history there are examples of both, so I guess you are correct that each team has its own way and it depends on the situation. Niki Lauda’s return to F1 in 1982 being a higher number than John Watson, and Nelson Piquet’s higher number than Mansell in ’86 only 3 years after becoming a double champion. But back then with the different numbering system returning drivers were more likely to want to keep their number, Keke Rosberg’s wanting his #6 which he won the championship with and new driver Mansell taking his red 5. Talking about red number 5, 2013 we will once again see a British driver with a red number 5.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th December 2012, 0:21

@the-last-pope – There is no precedent in the sport whereby a former World Champion is automatically given the leading number when he joins a new team out of respect for his previous achievements. Citing a handful of examples proves absolutely nothing, because those handful of examples still form an overwhelming minority.

Even if there was such a precedent, Mercedes would be under no obligations to observe it as teams are – and always have been – free to assign their numbers to their drivers as they see fit. Giving a driver the leading number does not automatically assure that driver the lead driver status.

Evidently, you’re upset that Hamilton will be using the number 10 because you seem to think that more respect should be shown for his World Championship. But I doubt Lewis Hamilton cares much about it at all. It’s just the number that gets painted on the side of his car for the season, and is of no consequence to anything. It doesn’t make him any better or worse a driver. And for all you know, Mercedes asked him which number he wanted and Hamilton chose the number 10 for personal reasons.

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 4th December 2012, 1:05

@prisoner-monkeys

What?? Did you even read what I wrote? I said there are examples of both! the examples I gave proved me wrong, History basically says I was wrong so I wrote. “I guess you are correct that each team has its own way and it depends on the situation”.

I am not upset, although if it was me in charge at Mercedes I would offer him the 9 out of respect, I would do the same for any champion. Why do you suddenly assume I am an upset Hamilton fanatic? Evidently? lol. Try reading a post properly next time.

• Moolander said on 2nd December 2012, 14:14

I see what you mean but, technically, it does provide a slight advantage in some (extreme) cases. For example, should it be impossible to have a qualifying practice, the cars would then be arranged on the grid in numerical order.

5. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 2nd December 2012, 0:42

Has anyone thought maybe since Grosjean isn’t on the list for Lotus is due to them maybe wanting another driver, I know he’s fast and most probably is going to be in the team next year but he does crash allot and that is probably quite expensive to crash allot, anyway I thought it would be awesome to have Heikki in the team partly because I don’t want to see him go and he is also a solid and reliable driver so maybe less accidents if you see what I mean plus it would also be the first all Finnish team in like forever(possibly?).

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd December 2012, 0:54

@master-firelee

Gerard Lopez – who runs Genii Capital – has said that the team “has a decision to make” about their second driver, so they’re clearly considering replacing Grosjean.

Actually, it would be a horrible idea. There are faster drivers out there who are also available – like Kobayashi, Alguersuari and so on – and Kovalainen was beaten by Petrov this year. Lotus previously let go of Petrov because he wasn’t performing, so why would Lotus be inclined to take the driver who was beaten by the guy they passed on?

Furthermore, they already have a Finnish driver in Raikkonen. Taking Kovalainen would seriously limit their ability and their new sponsor’s ability to promote themselves outside Finland.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd December 2012, 8:15

@master-firelee

I was wondering the same thing about Grosjean. As PM said, clearly they are considering replacing him.

Lotus is a very competative team so they should really be careful who they chose.

6. Why is Kimi #7 instead of #5 despite finishing third in standings? Are the numbers based on constructors’ standings after top two drivers? This has always has confused me…

• David (@neiana) said on 2nd December 2012, 1:50

They go by constructors’ standings period.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd December 2012, 2:20

No, they don’t.

Jenson Button was the 2009 World Drivers’ Champion. Brawn GP was the 2009 World Constructors’ Champion. Button moved to McLaren, where he carried the number 1 in 2010, even though McLaren finished the season third overall. Because of this Mercedes – once they had bought out Brawn – got the numbers 3 and 4. Red Bull got the numbers 5 and 6, even though they would normally have been 3 and 4 themselves as they had finished second in the constructors’ standings. Ferrari finished fourth and got the numbers 7 and 8, as they were supposed to.

• David (@neiana) said on 2nd December 2012, 10:03

Thanks. I’m reading this at 4am and it took a couple times but with your explanation I think I get it. :) I always assumed it was according to constructors’ only.

• FlyingLobster27 said on 2nd December 2012, 9:37

Drivers’ champion gets number 1, his team-mate gets 2, no matter the team (Arrows got 1 & 2 in 1997…).
      All the other teams are numbered according the Constructors’ championship. If the Drivers’ champion retires, the Constructors’ champions can use 0 & 2 instead of 1 & 2 (Lotus used 1 & 2 in 1974, Williams used 0 & 2 in 1993 & 1994).

• FlyingLobster27 said on 2nd December 2012, 9:41

And I add that that’s the system that’s been used since 1996. Prior to that (1974-1995), teams were classified according to the 1973 Constructors’ championship, with only the Drivers’ champion’s team exchanging their previous numbers with the 1 & 2 team.
        Which is how Ferrari famously ended up running the very high numbers 27 & 28 for so long: they were the reigning champions when Alan Jones won in 1980 for the relatively new Williams team, numbered 27 & 28.

7. Will Bryan (@willbryan) said on 2nd December 2012, 4:01

So what does that mean for Q1? will just the slowest 5 drivers be knocked out?

8. Joey Zyla (@) said on 2nd December 2012, 5:18

Goodbye, HRT. *sniff* :(

9. Todfod (@todfod) said on 2nd December 2012, 8:03

Why is everyone so sad about HRT leaving the grid? I’m sure the staff will actually find something that pays them better, as well as, brings them more pride and respect in their jobs.

I always thought HRT didn’t belong in this sport and I think its good riddance to bad rubbish.

Wonder how this affects Q1 of qualifying though?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd December 2012, 8:27

@todfod

Wonder how this affects Q1 of qualifying though?

Someone raised this question in the forums about a week ago. I’m pretty sure Keith pointed to a passage of the sporting regulations that says six cars will be eliminated in Q1 and six in Q2.

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 2nd December 2012, 8:50

I bit shame for the team but I guess it’s for the best as the team wasn’t going anywhere,it’s pointless competing in F1 if you can’t help yourself.

11. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 2nd December 2012, 14:33

Sigh, and so the HRT saga ends. I am sure a lot of people will be genuinely saddened by their exit. Maybe the owners of F1 should take a look at this and see what is going wrong. Any new team will need more support, support which was clearly not provided to the new three teams. Sure, they were banking on the RRA coming through which did not happen, but even then this situation should have been looked at. How many new teams have joined the sport in the last 10 years, how many have left. I doubt the days when private entrepreneurs could launch a team and hope to win, like the Tyrells, Tolemans etc… could ever return.
    Enough encouragement will have to be given even if it is a big car manufacturer to enter the sport. Only the management can provide this.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 2nd December 2012, 17:23

Not happy about this, at all :( I’m not going to back a team just because they’re the back of the grid, but they had made progress in trying to capitalise on a Spanish identity in many ways. This year they managed to retain their two drivers they started with, started up a young driver programme and just generally appeared to be making progress.

Such a shame, I’ll miss them.

13. Kobayashi should be a good teammate to Kimi at Lotus, Kovalainen seams to slow now.

14. tigen (@tigen) said on 2nd December 2012, 18:55

Not good for F1 to lose teams, but I can’t say I’ll miss one so slow as HRT. I primarily will remember them for being rolling obstacles… one that might have killled Rosberg and might have decided the championship when Vettel clipped Karthikeyan, or was that vice-versa…

It’s nice to see Marussia and Caterham seemingly in decent health and spirit and having ambitions for the future.

15. This is Honda’s ticket back into Formula One.. If Honda buys them, they can just change the name from Hispania Racing Team (HRT) to Honda Racing Team (HRT). And start building the team from ground up again.