German GP moved earlier for extra race in 2013

2013 F1 season

Start, Hockenheim, 2012The FIA has moved the date of the German Grand Prix forward by a week to create space on the 2013 F1 calendar for a new European event.

The 2013 German Grand Prix will take place on July 7th, one week after the British Grand Prix and the same weekend as the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

A meeting of the World Motor Sport Council at Istanbul in Turkey confirmed a space has been left on the calendar for another race in Europe on July 21st, one week before the Hungarian Grand Prix.

This is expected to be a return to Istanbul Park for the Turkish Grand Prix. If the extra race goes ahead it will mean the 2013 calendar remains at 20 races as the Jersey Grand Prix is being postponed to 2014.

Paul Ricard and Magny-Cours have also been trying to return to the calendar as the host of the French Grand Prix. Red Bull have also mooted the possibility of holding a race in Austria at the Red Bull Ring (formerly the A1 Ring).

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

68 comments on German GP moved earlier for extra race in 2013

1. So, which race is going?

2. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 5th December 2012, 15:14

Oh, nice surprise, I like that track. Although we would have two ‘Turn 8s’ with it… I like the original one in Istanbul more though. The signature corner of Austin is Turn 1 anyway, while Turn 15 and Turn 19 are more characteristic on that track anyway for differing reasons.

3. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 5th December 2012, 15:22

A French GP needs to be on the calendar, I’m not a big fan of Magny-Cours so I hope they give Paul Ricard a go.

4. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 5th December 2012, 15:24

I’d be happy with a A1-ring revival ! I liked that little austrian circuit !

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2012, 15:52

@gwenouille It could turn out to be quite ironic as the Red Bull Ring is not what you might think of as a ‘Red Bull circuit’ – it’s more of a power over downforce track. Although they’d like the third sector.

It’s not a bad track, I’d like it a lot more if it weren’t such a pale shadow of the original.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 5th December 2012, 16:08

Yes, I guess you are right about it not being a “Red Bull track”.
        I like the scenery in fact: Styria is a wonderful, wonderful region and the circuit has such a nice background. It reminds me of Spa.

I don’t recall the circuit’s original incarnation, only the reduced version. Wasn’t it H.Tilke there too ?
        I think it is too short though, I like longer circuits with less blue flags…

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 5th December 2012, 16:09

@keithcollantine if they did race at the A1/Red Bull Ring – which layout would they use?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th December 2012, 16:12

@raymondu999 It hasn’t been changed significantly since last time and I don’t think there are any other usable options besides the previous one.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 5th December 2012, 16:22

I remember Red Bull proposed a major extension, but that hasn’t come to much. The track’s good enough on its own merits though, it’ll be nice to have something different though, as the Red Bull Ring has such a short lap.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th December 2012, 22:51

@lin1876 – I don’t think it was Red Bull who proposed those extensions.

From what I understand, Formula 1 left the A1 Ring because the drivers were threatening to do lap times in under a minute. The series had outgrown the circuit. In a bid to get Formula 1 back to Austria, the then-owners decided to upgrade and extend the circuit, using parts of the original layout in the design.

Construction was scheduled to go ahead, and they knocked down the pit buildings and the main grandstand … only for everything to come to a screeching halt. I can’t find any reliable source explaining why, but I have heard that someone – either a group of environmentalists or garden-variety NIMBYs – filed an injuction in an Austrian court, which was upheld, forcing construction to come to a halt. They couldn’t even rebuild what they had wiped out (if true, one suspects that the injunction was deliberately timed to achieve exactly this).

There were several attempts to get the project back up and running. Red Bull were initially involved, while Alex Wurz, KTM and Volkswagen were all linked to on-again, off-again bids, but nothing ever came of them. It wasn’t until 2008 that Red Bull committed to rebuilding the circuit. They decided not to build the “Westschleife” extension so as to save money and to get the circuit back to an operational state sooner.

However, Dietrich Mateschitz has gone on the record several times saying that the circuit will not host Formula 1 or MotoGP events, but rather limit itself to DTM and the likes of Formula 2.

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 9th December 2012, 11:58

@KeithCollantine

Is the Red Bull Ring (A1 Ring) still FIA Grade 1? As far as I’m aware the only Grade 1 circuits F1 doesn’t currently race at are Imola and Istanbul (Indianapolis was converted to a bike layout for Moto GP).

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2012, 12:07

@pjtierney I believe it was as of July last year, and I don’t think it or the regulations have changed sufficiently in the meantime to mean that’s no longer the case. Helmut Marko has said recently it is still FIA Grade 1.

• @keithcollantine – You mean the original Osterreichring near the Zeltweg airfield? I though it was dangerous?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th December 2012, 5:16

@keithcollantine

That, I think, is the major reason why the race won’t go ahead. The circuit is known as the Red Bull Ring. Red Bull would likely be the title sponsor of the event. And Red Bull would almost certainly fund it. As as if that wasn’t enough, Red Bull has never actually raced there. They are three-time World Champions and they have no useable data on the circuit. As a result, there would likely be a lot of pressure on the team to win there. But the circuit itself is the antithesis of everything Red Bull Racing have designed in their cars for years.

I just can’t see Red Bull – the parent company – backing a race at a circuit that carries their name if they weren’t confident that there was a reasonable chance that they would win there. If they did it regardless, then the team would likely have to produce bespoke parts purely for that race just to stand a chance, which has the potential to throw their entire season out of order. Christian Horner has said that work on the 2013 car is nearly done, and they will likely have a developent schedule fully planned out. Any move to include the Austrian Grand Prix on the calendar would place it as the tenth race of twenty in the season, at a time when everyone is introducing plenty of new parts to their cars, and the nature of its placement – ie, at the last minute – would throw that schedule into disarray as Red Bull try to plan a new upgrade to fit in with their schedule without disrupting it too much. And finally, a loss at their home race would likely damage the team’s morale.

There’s simply too much at stake for Red Bull to risk backing a race at the circuit.

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 5th December 2012, 23:49

It got to be Istanbul..Bernie’s been dropping some hints lately..and of course…he just said a couple days a go that he’s headed over to Istanbul!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th December 2012, 23:53

@jaymenon10 – The World Motorsports Council is meeting there this week. And I believe the FIA prize-giving gala is being held there as well.

That said, I’m reasonably confident that Turkey will return in 2013. I can’t see the Red Bull Ring happening.

• Piotr (@) said on 6th December 2012, 7:36

The stupidest circuit ever as everything that has something in common with Red Bull

5. bramadiS said on 5th December 2012, 15:24

How about the german GP itself, is it going to be run in Nurburgring?

6. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 5th December 2012, 15:43

Joe Saward seems to think it’s going to be a race at the Red Bull Ring.

7. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 5th December 2012, 15:44

Good as Istanbul is, I would like to see a race in a country where there are a lot of fans (or at least one which is widely accessible). That leaves Magny-Cours, Paul Ricard and the A1 Ring, not an inspired choice, but it could be worse.

• LoreMipsumdOtmElor said on 6th December 2012, 13:59

Magny-Cours is a fantastic circuit but the A1-Ring is even better. Both would provide great races. Can’t speak for Paul Ricard as I’ve never been there.

8. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 5th December 2012, 16:02

I would love to return to the old A1 ring. What a turnaround that would be! Istanbul would be fine to.

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 5th December 2012, 16:04

I’m feeling a little lazy to compare calendars right now… Which tracks go out (talking about the 2012 calendar) to make room to new venues next year?

10. Flying Lobster 27 said on 5th December 2012, 16:12

The Le Mans 24 Hours had been moved a week later to accommodate for New Jersey, and with NJ gone, at one point I believe Ecclestone had the bright idea to suggest that a French GP could take place a week before Britain… and on the same weekend as the new LM date! With this calendar, at least the insanity of having a direct competition between a Grand Prix and the Race of the Year is out (although there’s not much competition between the two when it comes to spectators’ value for money).

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th December 2012, 22:39

Come on, that was obviously Bernie negotiating with the circuits. They wanted something that Bernie didn’t like, and they wouldn’t budge. So he deliberately scheduled the race to clash with Le Mans to get them to think twice about it.

11. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 5th December 2012, 17:05

There are far worse tracks to put back on the calendar than Turkey! And if it keeps the amount of races at 20, even better. The more the merrier!

12. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 5th December 2012, 17:28

why Istanbul? Bring back the Red Bull Ring!!!

13. George (@george) said on 5th December 2012, 17:59

Honestly if I had to choose between going to Goodwood and watching a grand prix I’d probably choose Goodwood…I wonder if they’d put a big screen up somewhere?

14. Gods, a busy July!!! Not good news for a man who celebrates his birthday in that month, but is yet to score a victory in the same!!!

15. zomtec (@zomtec) said on 5th December 2012, 18:54

I´d like to see if the German Grand Prix would be held on the Eurospeedway using Turn 1.