A new round of the world championship will take place in Thailand from 2015, according to Bernie Ecclestone in the Wall Street Journal.
Thailand is expected to follow the lead of Singapore’s Grand Prix by holding a night race on a street circuit.
Ecclestone said the organisers are keen to hold their race at an earlier date. “They say 2014 and I say 2015,” said Ecclestone of the proposal. “It is serious and it is good.”
The 2014 calendar is already slated to include a new race in Russia in 2014 and a second Grand Prix in the USA.
A Red Bull demonstration run in Bangkok two years ago attracted a crowd of over 100,000.
The soft drink originated in Thailand in the seventies when Chaleo Yoovidhya’s company created an energy drink called Krathing Daeng. Before his death in March he was estimated to be one of the richest men in the world. The planned race is backed by his son Chalerm.
2015 F1 season
- Yas Marina Pirelli tyre test in pictures
- McLaren’s Vandoorne quickest in final test of 2015
- What was the best overtake of 2015? Make your nominations
- 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Vote for your 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
Browse all 2015 F1 season articles
Image © Red Bull/Getty images