Who F1 Fanatic readers supported in 2012

2012 F1 season review

Jenson Button, McLaren, Yas Marina, 2012As 2012 draws to a close, here’s a final look at who F1 Fanatic readers were supporting this year.

Drivers

When we last looked at who F1 Fanatic readers were supporting Jenson Button had just become first to pass 1,000 supporters.

Now Lewis Hamilton has passed that milestone too. And Kimi Raikkonen is not far off, having moved up into third place.

Fernando Alonso’s efforts won him a lot of praise this year and he’s moved ahead of Mark Webber in fourth place.

But success doesn’t always lead to popularity. Sebastian Vettel only ranks ninth on the list despite his three world championships.

And despite scoring the first win for Williams in eight years, Pastor Maldonado’s fans here number less than 100.

Jenson Button
Jean-Eric Vergne
Narain Karthikeyan
Pedro de la Rosa
Jerome D’Ambrosio
Charles Pic

Teams

McLaren and Ferrari remain the top two teams but Mercedes fell behind Red Bull to fifth overall. Will Hamilton’s move boost their popularity next year?

McLaren
299
Toro Rosso
124
HRT
Marussia

Over to you

Did you start supporting any new drivers or teams in 2012? Will you change who you’re supporting next year? Have your say in the comments.

Show your support

Want to make sure your driver and team preferences are reflected in these charts? Here’s how to do it:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account (if you don’t have one you can sign up here)
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu, then select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selection then click Save Changes

You can now show your support for new 2013 drivers Esteban Gutierrez, Valtteri Bottas and Max Chilton.

2012 F1 season review

Browse all 2012 F1 season review articles

Image ?é?® McLaren/Hoch Zwei

75 comments on Who F1 Fanatic readers supported in 2012

1. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 26th December 2012, 22:34

Drivers:
    Sebastian Vettel
    Kimi Raikkonen
    Heikki Kovalainen
    Nico Hulkenberg

Teams:
    Red Bull
    Lotus
    Caterham

2. 2012 was the first year of me supporting Renault…er, Lotus…er, Team Enstone.

3. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th December 2012, 23:11

I’ve just updated my profile:

Drivers:
    +Hulkenberg
    Schumi
    Vettel
    Webber

Teams:
    +RBR
    -Mercedes

I’m a BMW fan (in general) and jumped to Mercedes when BMW left the sport. My support was consolidated with Schumi’s signing and my general admiration for him. I also respected Nobert Haug, back in the Mika/DC days at McLaren Mercedes (in his role at Merc) and Ross Brawn from the Schumi days at Benetton/Ferrari.

Since Schumi has retired (again), and the mutual departure of Nobert Haug, I feel as though I can’t support Merc next year, I’m not much of a Ham fan, and Rosberg isn’t a #1 driver in my view. Although Ross Brawn is still there and I think, given any technical improvements in the car, he can certainly push the team forward like he did at Benetton/Ferrari, but it isn’t enough for me to remain a Merc fan. I’ll jump onto the RBR bandwagon for now, as I support both drivers, and think Adrian Newey is a genius, also Christian Horner is certainly building up his career as team principal quite nicely, I think he has learned a lot and is becoming a force to be reckoned with, although I do think Newey does propel that team forward.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th December 2012, 23:15

I forgot to mention that the Hulk is starting to find his feet in F1, I followed him when he dominated the A1GP series, it has taken him a bit, to get into the right team and the right direction in F1, but Brazil 2012 certainly showed his prowess, I am genuinely excited about the prospects of what this young individual could bring to the paddock :)

4. f1alex (@f1alex) said on 26th December 2012, 23:53

Whenever this post comes on each year (though is this only the 2nd year? Either way) it always reminds me who I should have added to my list at the beginning of the season. So technically my picks are a season out each time, because I only add them to the list after the season’s over! Haha

5. Joey Zyla (@) said on 27th December 2012, 2:48

Senna has more fans than Massa? Now that’s sad. What did Felipe do wrong?

6. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 27th December 2012, 4:22

Even though Hamilton is far and away my favourite driver, I started to really like and support Alonso in the last quarter of the year, because of how well he drove. Made almost no mistakes and drove the Ferrari harder than possible, and his ability to rally his team around him when things were tough, constantly motivating and pushing them.

Also I don’t understand why people keep saying Alonso has been a sore loser, when he has given praise to Vettel several times congratulating him on winning the title. He was composed and smiling on the podium in brazil. What’s he done wrong?

7. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 27th December 2012, 11:53

I began watching Formula 1 in 1997, supporting Mika Hakkinen as I found his personality to be the most endearing of that crop of drivers. Upon realising that Mika’s career was coming to a close I searched for a new driver to follow. I chose Fernando Alonso in 2001 due to a series of very professional performances and was extremely happy when he signed with Benetton. At the French GP in 2002, I remember that news broke that Jenson Button was to be dropped by Renault, to be replaced by Alonso. I had a great sense of satisfaction that day, as I believed that Alonso had great potential to rival Raikkonen as the coming man in the sport. The 2003 season was exceptional and when Fisichella was announced as Alonso’s team-mate for 2005 I thought we would have a great marker of which to judge his talent. I remain extremely impressed with his 2004 season for Sauber. From there, we have had many up-and-downs but the wait for the win and being proven correct about a childhood judgement has kept alive my belief in supporting a driver from day one and never stopping. I watched Fernando evolve from a shy boy into a great champion into the best driver of his generation. This is why I support him so thoroughly, and I intend to follow the career of Antonio Felix Da Costa equally closely.

8. Girts (@girts) said on 27th December 2012, 12:45

It’s interesting that Kobayashi, who has been unable to find a seat for 2013, has more fans here than the three-time world champion Vettel and that Kovalainen, another driver whose future is uncertain, has more supporters than the new McLaren driver Perez.

9. katederby (@katederby) said on 27th December 2012, 13:44

People like who they like, for various reasons, not always because of the nationality so why does it matter if ‘your’ driver isn’t the most popular? I’m English and I don’t support either of my country men, although I do think Button seems a thoroughly decent chap.
    And why do some Vettel fans continue to be disgruntled at any criticism he gets? If I were a fan I’d just smile and ignore it. Plus just because he’s not that popular here doesn’t mean fans hate him, they simply prefer other drivers.

• Girts (@girts) said on 27th December 2012, 14:07

@katederby

Very well said. I think it’s clear that the overwhelming majority of F1 Fanatics respect Vettel’s achievements and acknowledge that he is a great driver, even if they’re not his fans. For sure, there will always be some that choose to ignore the facts but it’s just inevitable. Constant complaints about how ‘people don’t like Vettel’ are as annoying as claims that Vettel is a mediocre driver, who doesn’t deserve to be world champion.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 14th February 2013, 18:40

Personally I loathe him, and was sickened to see him win a third, undeserved title. Also on a side-note, I really like Button’s personality, but would actually like to see Webber win a WDC most, followed by a couple from Hamilton. The former because he’s just a straight-up, nice guy who’s been repeatedly screwed over by the insipid Horner, and Hamilton because his ability isn’t matched by his amount of championships.

Sadly 2013 doesn’t look hugely promising to an anti-Vettel, and I’ve made a pact with myself to boycott the 2013 season if the new RB dominates the first three qualifyings.

10. My vote will go to Bernd Mayländer as he is the driver who often leads the field when rain wreck havoc.

11. Stormy44 (@stormy44) said on 30th December 2012, 13:17

How come theres no love for Marussia? They by far have the best car livery with the crimson red and black looking brilliant. Hopefully with Pat onboard for next year Timo can finally be given some half decent machinery. Max Chilton also seems an exciting prospect. Furthermore how come 124 people like Toro Rosso? They are practically a Red Bull breeding ground and there livery is revolting and a rip off compared to that of Red Bull.

12. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 3rd January 2013, 12:37

Button ahead of Hamilton? And di Resta ahead of Vettel? Wow. Very interesting results there.