Di Resta “disappointed” by top teams snub

F1 Fanatic round-up

Paul di Resta, Force India, Yas Marina, 2012In the round-up: Paul di Resta admits he was disappointed to be passed over for a move up the field during 2012.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Fired-up Di Resta desperate to break his podium duck in 2013 (The Scotsman)

“Of course it was flattering to be linked to those seats [at McLaren and Mercedes]. But I won?t deny I was disappointed when both teams opted to go down another route.”

2014 rules ‘urge team collaborations’ (Autosport)

Cyril Abiteboul: “It is a bit new to F1, because the teams also have to compete against each on the track, but I think the future will be about collaboration – and 2014 will urge us into considering more collaboration.”

2012: A mixed year for Indian motorsports (The Times of India)

“Two successful Formula One Indian Grands Prix might have put the country on the global motorsport map, but two deaths in the Mughal Rally brought into sharp focus the lop-sided development of the sport in the country.”

Comment of the day

@Girts names three more races you should have watched in 2012:

1. The DTM season finale at Hockenheim. It didn?t involve a lot of overtaking but offered a great race-long battle for the win and the title between Bruno Spengler and Gary Paffett, two of the very best touring car drivers in the world.

2. The GP2 Series sprint race at Spa. I saw it from the stands and saw some good passes and bad spins at the chicane. Luiz Razia and Davide Valsecchi, both title contenders, collided on the first lap and next year?s F1 rookie Max Chilton was out of contention, too. Josef Kral won his first ever GP2 race and Felipe Nasr overtook James Calado for second in the last metres before the chequered flag.

3. The WTCC Race of Austria at Salzburgring, race two. All three Chevrolet drivers suffered punctures in the last stage of the race and privateer Stefano d?Aste took an unexpected win.
@Girts

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lazzar!

On this day in F1

Philippe Etancelin was born on this day in 1896. He was one of the 21 drivers who took the start in the first ever world championship Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1950.

Driving a Talbot-Lago, he qualified 14th and finished in eighth place, though at the time points were only awarded to the top five finishers.

Etancelin started his final championship race at the age of 56 before retiring. He died in October 1981 in Paris.

Image ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team

102 comments on Di Resta “disappointed” by top teams snub

1. JohnBt (@johnbt) said on 28th December 2012, 7:53

After sponsorships and landing a drive no amount of media appraisals will show how good a racer is. From this year’s observation Hulk drove better than Paul. As KIMI says, let your driving do the talking. Seeing is believing.

2. Abdurahman (@) said on 28th December 2012, 9:45

@KeithCollantine

@abdurahman

All British media
    He was made out to be the second coming

As a British person who runs an F1 website I feel obliged to point out how obviously wide of the mark this sweeping claim is. Di Resta had a very good debut season but even so I ranked him behind his team mate at the end of the year.

Sorry, I should have been specific. After watching every race last year (2011) on BBC, pre race, race, post, and forum, reading bbc online, Autosport magazine, and Motorsport UK, the distinct impression I got was that PDR was going to be the next sensation.
    I was pulling for him the whole year myself, we shall see what becomes of him.

3. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 28th December 2012, 12:46

di resta has often commented on his desire to drive for another team and it amazed me how his employer never taught him some respect for his current team. i f i were the boss, i would have gone through the roof.

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th December 2012, 12:59

Di Resta, in my opinion, has had just a few impressive moments along his way in F1. Maybe an unluckly moment to be on the billboard by crashing in the final laps in Brazil…

5. heffer said on 28th December 2012, 13:15

Worst case scenario for Di Resta would be if Sutil returns, and then dominates him again as in 2011.

6. Prarag Chopra (@prarag-chopra) said on 28th December 2012, 14:49

I remember Paul once telling Hamilton and Vettel are champions because he arrived later in F1 than them. Thats the tallest claim I have ever heard from anyone in F1. I think Paul needs to be reminded that to be a WDC, you first have to beat your team-mate, which he is never able to accomplish so far in his ‘illustrious’ career.

7. radiophonic (@radiophonic) said on 28th December 2012, 18:46

I kind of got fed up with every interview i heard with Di Resta in the last quarter of the year was about how he wanted to be in a top team becuase I din’t think he’s anywhere near that stage, even though he’s a great driver. I dont know if force india would have been particularly happy that he keeps talking about his future and it clearly not involving them.

8. Bernification (@bernification) said on 30th December 2012, 23:37

Di Resta didn’t get a seat at a more illustrious team because he didn’t get the results. Simple as that.

He would be better off keeping his mouth shut, counting his blessings that he still has a seat and learn how to develop and setup a car. He needs to learn that.