Ron Dennis says McLaren could have kept Lewis Hamilton in its team for 2013.
Hamilton left McLaren to join Mercedes for the 2013 season.
Speaking to the magazine of the Confederation of British Industry in December, Dennis said: “Did we have the ability to create a situation where we could have stayed together? Categorically, yes.”
“Would that have been the right thing to do? We didn’t think so.”
Dennis added: “Whatever people choose to do at the end of a contractual period, the professional thing to do is to be supportive of the other side.
“We don’t wish him every success at Mercedes – that’s understandable, as he’s obviously going to be a competitor – but we don’t wish him anything negative.”
“I think it’s wrong to portray that Lewis left this team. At the end of the day, you end up with a situation where you’re going to separate if the circumstances aren’t right.”
2013 F1 season
- Take F1 Fanatic’s new 2013 season quiz
- F1 Fanatic’s new year thanks and credits 2014
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2013 season review
- The drivers, teams and cars of 2013
- Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation