New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests

2012 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Barcelona, 2012The official Formula One 2012 season review DVD includes some not previously broadcast team radio material which reveals more about two controversial moments of last season involving Sebastian Vettel.

He received a penalty during the Spanish Grand Prix after Jenson Button pointed out he’d deployed DRS on the main straight despite yellow flags being waved. “Vettel is using DRS, Vettel is using DRS. In a yellow flag zone” reported Button on the radio.

After being handed his penalty an angry Vettel defended his driving on the radio channel, which race director Charlie Whiting and the stewards can listen to.

Vettel said: “I wasn’t going too fast. I could see everything then I took KERS and I didn’t feel it.

“What else did you want me to see? I was awake, I told you yellow flag, that I could see it down the straight. It’s not my problem if I have DRS, I cannot lift up. We’re talking four tenths.”

His race engineer Guillaume Rocqueline urged him to accept the penalty, saying: “Understood. The penalty will not be changed. Deep breath, stay focused. I don’t want any arm-waving or anything, OK?”

Vettel also received a penalty during the Italian Grand Prix. On that occasion he addressed Whiting directly on the radio to deny he forced Fernando Alonso wide at the Curva Grande.

Alonso had already said: “OK I think that’s enough, no? That’s enough… I’m at 320 kilometres an hour. OK?”

In his defence, Vettel said: “To race director. All of a sudden he was on the grass. I didn’t need to push him on the grass, I left enough room.”

After his penalty was handed down, Vettel added: “I told you I didn’t push him on the grass. There was enough room.”

The official Formula One 2012 video goes on sale on Monday. Enter F1 Fanatic’s competition to win one of ten copies here:

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

119 comments on New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests

1. Chad (@chaddy) said on 6th January 2013, 6:47

The stewards tried to screw over Vettel at every point this season. They weren’t even hiding their coddling of Teflonso. I would have been a lot more frustrated than Vettel was.

2. ciao said on 6th January 2013, 6:55

Prepare for a 2013 of whinging and excuses. Vettel has lost his trick back end. When it hasn’t been blowing, and he hasn’t been able to drive it like a computer game, he has been behind. If he needs to do the driving then he’ll be sooking away about this, that, and the other thing. It will never be his fault. That’s why Marko is getting stuck into Webber knowing his little boy is in strife already.

3. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th January 2013, 7:56

Thanks for telling him that Rocky. Seeing world champions (and I’m referring to all 6 who were on the grid in 2012, not just Vettel) behaving like petulent children when something goes against them really does annoy me. I expect more from world champions. They raise the benchmark in terms of driving skill on the track and they should also be raising the benchmark when it comes to behaving like sportsmen. Waving their arms about and shouting on the radio is behaviour that I simply cannot tolerate.

• Mads (@mads) said on 6th January 2013, 10:05

@geemac

Funny that you have a picture of Ayrton Senna on your profile then.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th January 2013, 10:44

I was going to start my reply off by saying “touche @mads “, but off hand I can’t think of much hand waving that Senna did…perhaps because I’m at the office. ;) I can obviously remember heaps of occasions when he did questionable things (both on and off the track) but waving his arms around, nope. I stand corrected of course…like I said, I’m at the office!

• HappyPhantom said on 6th January 2013, 11:15

Ooh so other questionable behaviour is fine but waving your hand and shouting a bit is intolerable? And if Senna did at some point waved his hand would you really stop being a fan? Because you know, it’s “intolerable”… Or is waving your hand around only intolerable when a certain drivers do it?

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th January 2013, 11:53

Not entirely sure this is the correct place to start yet another debate about the pros and cons of the yellow helmeted one @happyphantom but for the sake of completeness I will say this: He was who he was and he did what he did. You are a fan of his or you aren’t. End of.

As I alluded to in my initial post, all of the currently active world champions have waved their arms about and/or shouted the odds on their radios at some stage. I remember countless incidents were world champions have done it too in years gone by. But that certainly does not make it right. To say I’m singling out one driver in my mild mannered and incredibly insignificant internet rant is grossly inaccurate when I specifically referred to a wider group of drivers when making the post.

And no, if I look at an archive clip of Senna on YouTube when I get home and see that he has waved his arms at someone I won’t stop being a fan of his…because that would be as silly as taking anything I say in blog comments seriously.

• HappyPhantom said on 6th January 2013, 13:44

as silly as taking anything I say in blog comments seriously.

I’ll never make that mistake again

• Mads (@mads) said on 6th January 2013, 11:31

@geemac

perhaps because I’m at the office.

Lets hope that your boss doesn’t follow F1fanatic then ; )
          I didn’t have the privilege to see the man race. Sadly… But from my Youtube ‘research’ he did seem to weave his hands in the air quite a bit.

• Yeah, once you get to YouTube it doesn’t take long to find such videos, does it?

Like many people, I’m in awe of Ayrton Senna for many reasons — but I think the assertion that he was somehow more
            “sportsmanlike” than current champions on the grid is…strange, to say the least.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th January 2013, 12:48

@aka-robyn I didn’t make that assertion…Mads mentioned it because of my profile picture.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th January 2013, 14:14

“weave his hands in the air” and on the wheel !

• @geemac True, not directly, although you did say

[World champions] raise the benchmark in terms of driving skill on the track and they should also be raising the benchmark when it comes to behaving like sportsmen. Waving their arms about and shouting on the radio is behaviour that I simply cannot tolerate.

and

off hand I can’t think of much hand waving that Senna did…

…which I suppose took to suggest that you felt Senna behaved as more of a sportsman — the type whose behavior you can tolerate. My mistake!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 7th January 2013, 5:57

Oh dear…this has gone on for a bit hasn’t it!

4. JB (@) said on 6th January 2013, 14:42

Wow…. now i really have to see this video…. What I read in this article…. further builds up on my opinion that this “kid” is yet not mature enough to have what he has “acomplished”…. Sounds bad. I really need to see it before typing anthing more… It sems it´s going to be a controversial video!

• F1fanNL (@) said on 7th January 2013, 21:29

He’s almost as childish as Fernando Alonso. You know, the guy who said he doesn’t consider F1 to be a sport anymore.

5. Dizzy said on 6th January 2013, 15:10

I believe the Bluray release will feature some extra content, I know that last year’s did.

• Dizzy said on 6th January 2013, 19:01

adding to that.
      the dvd review is around 5 hours but the bluray is listed as over 7 so it seems the bluray may have an additional 2 hours of footage compared to the dvd.