FanVision announces F1 exit

2013 F1 season

FanVision G3FanVision will not continue in Formula One in 2013 after failing to agree terms with Formula One Management.

A FanVision representative told F1 Fanatic: “We have, for some months, been trying to find the basis of an agreement between FanVision and FOM in order to continue providing the service in F1 in 2013.

“Unfortunately it is now clear that we are not going to be able to agree terms with FOM and very reluctantly we have to confirm that we won’t be in F1 in 2013. It’s a big blow for us.”

FanVision, formerly Kangaroo F1, allows spectators to purchase handheld devices through which they can watch video footage of race sessions and follow live timing and commentary during race weekends. They also supply their sets for NASCAR, NFL and some golf events.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

63 comments on FanVision announces F1 exit

1. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 11th January 2013, 6:48

I haven’t used any of the newer ones but I used the old version at a couple of NASCAR races years ago. It was cool but IDK I wouldn’t purchase a unit only rent it (and from talking to a sales rep at the track they barely break-even on rentals while they made their money on people actually buying the unit).

I remember hearing a year or two ago about some issues that they had during their contract renewal with NASCAR but it appears that they must’ve gotten it settled because they’re still here.

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th January 2013, 6:51

What a shame. I’ve never used the service at a race, I can get by with my phone but many will struggle, wonder if FOM will see about an alternative?

3. Steve (@machinesteve) said on 11th January 2013, 11:16

The problem is simple: Bernie doesn’t understand media. He gets TV, to some extent limited to a 1960s/70s model of viewing, but understands nothing at all about gaming, social networking, data and anything-anywhere access. The man is in his 80s and arrogant enough to dismiss his young fan-future out of hand. F1 is going to die in the medium term, but not before Bernie dies very rich.

Or maybe Bernie just wants a hollow, glitter-ball product for the East and Middle East….he will LIVE to regret that decision.

4. Eastman (@eastman) said on 11th January 2013, 11:22

I used a Fanvision device for the first time this year and found it pretty hand to keep track of laptimes. It was also quite invaluable at the end of FP2 when the 5Live team encouraged me to “seek shelter immediately” right before the heavens opened up and the grandstands emptied. I’ll miss them.

5. Mclarengal (@mclarengal) said on 12th January 2013, 19:24

A real shame for fans!

6. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 2nd April 2013, 16:48

So bloody annoyed to read this, I bought one last year in readiness to use at a couple of races this year and have only just seen the story that they have lost the contract…… Ecclestone you are a nightmare, you have a great product which you price in such a way tat the ordinary punter gets stuffed all the time, time for a change at the top, the sooner the better.

7. lavine (@lavine) said on 6th April 2013, 23:52

Is the F1 app really all we are getting to replace this? I’m heading to Monza in September and hope to use a tablet on 3G to provide information.
    Is there anything other than the F1 app worth investing in? If there’s nothing else then I might as well just pay the subscription for the F1 app now and get some decent use out of it instead of just subscribing for Monza in September.