Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

Caption Competition

Kimi Raikkonen, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Enrique Bernoldi, Melbourne, 2001

Continuing our retro-themed Caption Competitions, today’s features the rookie class of 2001.

Future world champions Kimi Raikkonen (Sauber) and Fernando Alonso (Minardi) made their F1 debuts at Melbourne in 2001 along with Juan Pablo Montoya (Williams) and Enrique Bernoldi (Arrows).

It’s up to you to suggest the best comedy caption for this picture. Post your funniest suggestion in the comments and look out for my pick of the best in tomorrow’s round-up.

See the best of last year’s Caption Competition winners here:

Caption Competition

Browse all previous Caption Competitions

Image ?? BMW

136 comments on Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

1. Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 12th January 2013, 11:43

Despite funding from his supporters back home, for one of these drivers the podium may as well have been Neverland.

• Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 12th January 2013, 11:45

Less a caption than a comment, but it seems to me that the success of these drivers in F1 so far is almost inversely proportional to the number and size of the sponsors on their racing stripes.

2. Alonso: “This is how I look under the helmet”

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th January 2013, 12:15

“And here we are at the premiere of Sylvester Stallone’s epic motion picture Driven with Juan … Pablo Montoya? Who the hell is Juan Pablo Montoya? Who are these people!? Steve, this is a movie about racing drivers! I specifically told you to get me racing drivers, not these Backstreet Boys rejects! Take a look at this Raikkonen guy – do you think that, ten years from now, he will drive for Ferrari? No! And this kid Alonso; what, did you think he was going to be a World Champion or something? No, of course not! Still, I like this Bernoldi fellow. I can work with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a three-time World Champion.”

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th January 2013, 12:28

So, a Finn, a Colombian, a Spaniard and a Brazilian all walk into a bar …

5. Andy (@turbof1) said on 12th January 2013, 12:38

The Unfantastic Four

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 12th January 2013, 12:40

Ok, now everybody smile, and remember Michael Schumacher won’t retire for another five years

7. sbewers (@sbewers) said on 12th January 2013, 12:43

Alonso: “If any of us manage to win anything this year I’ll eat my cap.”

8. John H (@john-h) said on 12th January 2013, 12:45

“Bernie assembles three ‘stick thin’ rookies to expose Indy car driver’s sponsor irony.”

9. kwacky1 (@kwacky1) said on 12th January 2013, 12:50

Kimi: I think I’ll have vanilla next time
    JP: Amateurs
    Fernando: This is my racing face
    Enrique: I just wet my pants

10. George (@george) said on 12th January 2013, 13:07

Fernando: Sure these guys are fast, but I’ll beat them…with the way of the samurai.

11. Ann Idiot said on 12th January 2013, 13:08

“Fernando, your eyebrows have yet to arrive.”

12. DavidS (@davids) said on 12th January 2013, 13:09

Montoya was confident he would have the most promising career of the group, as he had signed with a Championship winning team.

13. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 12th January 2013, 13:10

Er.. Fernanado Where is your cap …??

FA : It’s there .. It’s just that you can’t see it :)

14. “Goes to show, a big smile will get you no where in F1″

15. The cast for the international version of the Inbetweeners…before it got scrapped and stayed British.

16. Alonso: Did you see Nelson Piquet’s son running around….he’s so irritating. Hope I don’t see him again.

Montoya: My psychic told me by time those words become ironic, I won’t even be in F1.

Bernoldi: If there’s one thing I want from F1, it’s to make Coulthard angry.

Raikkonen: Just take the photo, I need my nap.

17. Milos Zivkovic (@iamaflyingfinn) said on 12th January 2013, 13:25

Look at that bottom.

18. Milos Zivkovic (@iamaflyingfinn) said on 12th January 2013, 13:29

EB: I have the most sponsors, so i’m the best.

19. Alonso : How in the hell is Juan going to be able to fit in the car!?…

20. Drivers feared Montoya would be quick off the blocks, so they asked Michael Schumacher, complete with a Yellow missile, to ‘sort it out’