Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

Caption Competition

Kimi Raikkonen, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Enrique Bernoldi, Melbourne, 2001

Continuing our retro-themed Caption Competitions, today’s features the rookie class of 2001.

Future world champions Kimi Raikkonen (Sauber) and Fernando Alonso (Minardi) made their F1 debuts at Melbourne in 2001 along with Juan Pablo Montoya (Williams) and Enrique Bernoldi (Arrows).

It’s up to you to suggest the best comedy caption for this picture. Post your funniest suggestion in the comments and look out for my pick of the best in tomorrow’s round-up.

See the best of last year’s Caption Competition winners here:

Caption Competition

Browse all previous Caption Competitions

Image ?é?® BMW

136 comments on Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

1. “And Schumacher comes up to take the free kick…”

2. Drop Valencia! said on 12th January 2013, 11:21

…three of them clearly have the focus to be future race winners…. but this Alonso chap didn’t even remember his cap…

3. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 12th January 2013, 11:29

Fantastic achievements from these young drivers. We have Kimi who has multiple wins and a World Champion. Juan Pablo Montoya, multiple race wins, including an Indianpolis 500 victory. Fernando Alonso, multiple race wins and a double World Champion. And last but not least Enrique Bernoldi, a man with 200 free extra minutes on his Orange phone contract.

4. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 12th January 2013, 11:31

Red Bull: We have enough money to sponsor two new drivers this year. So we’ve gone with Kimi Raikkonen and Enrique Bernoldi. Juan Pablo Montoya and Fernando Alonso don’t look anything special to us.

5. Drop Valencia! said on 12th January 2013, 11:34

Rookie driver thoughts 2001 –

KR:ZZZZZ
    JPM:Don’t touch me or I’ll kill you!
    FA: No drive next year, no prospects in Minardi, hope they see how big I am…
    EB: Who am I again?

6. Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 12th January 2013, 11:43

Despite funding from his supporters back home, for one of these drivers the podium may as well have been Neverland.

• Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 12th January 2013, 11:45

Less a caption than a comment, but it seems to me that the success of these drivers in F1 so far is almost inversely proportional to the number and size of the sponsors on their racing stripes.

7. Alonso: “This is how I look under the helmet”

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th January 2013, 12:15

“And here we are at the premiere of Sylvester Stallone’s epic motion picture Driven with Juan … Pablo Montoya? Who the hell is Juan Pablo Montoya? Who are these people!? Steve, this is a movie about racing drivers! I specifically told you to get me racing drivers, not these Backstreet Boys rejects! Take a look at this Raikkonen guy – do you think that, ten years from now, he will drive for Ferrari? No! And this kid Alonso; what, did you think he was going to be a World Champion or something? No, of course not! Still, I like this Bernoldi fellow. I can work with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a three-time World Champion.”

9. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th January 2013, 12:28

So, a Finn, a Colombian, a Spaniard and a Brazilian all walk into a bar …

10. Andy (@turbof1) said on 12th January 2013, 12:38

The Unfantastic Four

11. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 12th January 2013, 12:40

Ok, now everybody smile, and remember Michael Schumacher won’t retire for another five years

12. sbewers (@sbewers) said on 12th January 2013, 12:43

Alonso: “If any of us manage to win anything this year I’ll eat my cap.”

13. John H (@john-h) said on 12th January 2013, 12:45

“Bernie assembles three ‘stick thin’ rookies to expose Indy car driver’s sponsor irony.”

14. kwacky1 (@kwacky1) said on 12th January 2013, 12:50

Kimi: I think I’ll have vanilla next time
    JP: Amateurs
    Fernando: This is my racing face
    Enrique: I just wet my pants

15. George (@george) said on 12th January 2013, 13:07

Fernando: Sure these guys are fast, but I’ll beat them…with the way of the samurai.