Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

Caption Competition

Kimi Raikkonen, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Enrique Bernoldi, Melbourne, 2001

Continuing our retro-themed Caption Competitions, today’s features the rookie class of 2001.

Future world champions Kimi Raikkonen (Sauber) and Fernando Alonso (Minardi) made their F1 debuts at Melbourne in 2001 along with Juan Pablo Montoya (Williams) and Enrique Bernoldi (Arrows).

It’s up to you to suggest the best comedy caption for this picture. Post your funniest suggestion in the comments and look out for my pick of the best in tomorrow’s round-up.

See the best of last year’s Caption Competition winners here:

Caption Competition

Browse all previous Caption Competitions

Image ?? BMW

136 comments on Caption Competition 26: Rookies of 2001

1. zicasso (@zicasso) said on 12th January 2013, 18:13

Kimi: “I am being sponsored by Red Bull… this is just becoming stupid.”

• Kimi4WDC said on 14th January 2013, 11:30

Actually his main sponsor prior to F1 was Battery, an energy drink from Finland, pretty good one too :)

2. StephenH said on 12th January 2013, 18:30

As the legions of fans, celebrity girlfriends and lucrative endorsements gradually dried up, One Direction became increasingly desperate ….

3. WesselV1 said on 12th January 2013, 18:53

‘Guys, one of you will be responsible for knocking 2 of the others out of formula 1. You have the right to remain silent.’

4. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 12th January 2013, 18:55

So Juan…. What do you think to the people surrounding you?

“…oh dear!”

5. Fernando forgot his cap.
    Juan-Pablo forgot his cheeseburger.
    Kimi forgot his emotions.
    Enrique forgot how to drive. Don’t worry though: he did get 100 extra minutes a month on his Orange Nokia.

6. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 12th January 2013, 19:09

Interviewer: “As each of you starts your F1 career, what are your hopes for the future?”

Kimi: “One day I hope to race alongside David Coulthard at Mclaren”
    JPM: “Ha! One day I will take David Coulthard’s seat at Mclaren!”
    Alonso: “Haha! One day I will take Montoya’s place at Mclaren”
    Bernoldi: “To be honest, I think Arrows can deliver me a great car and I’m looking forward to seeing David Coulthard’s Mclaren in my mirrors.”

7. “Okay Michael, please identify the man that assaulted you.”

8. andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 12th January 2013, 20:27

Remember boys, one day you will all annoy Mclaren one way or the other!

9. Brakius (@brakius) said on 12th January 2013, 20:58

One of these things is not like the others.

10. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 12th January 2013, 21:17

“So here we have the new formula 1 four aside football team, Fernando with out a hat obviously because he is the goalkeeper.”

11. Mathers (@mathers) said on 12th January 2013, 21:25

Red Bull were sure they had sponsored two of the finest drivers in a generation. I suppose they were half right – Enrique Bernoldi did brilliantly to win a round of the 2010 GT1 World Championship, and at the same time Kimi was constantly crashing in the WRC. Pretty obvious that Enrique should be number 2 at Red Bull don’t you think…

12. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 12th January 2013, 21:33

Bernoldi: See you in my mirrors, fellas!
    Alonso: Then you’ll have to park your car with its rear towards the podium of the 2005 Brazilian Grand Prix!

13. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 12th January 2013, 22:23

Well at least Bernoldi wouldn’t go on to fall out with McLaren…

14. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 12th January 2013, 23:26

What the drivers think:
    KR: “Wake me up when this is over. ZZZ”
    JPM: “Why do we have to do this? Its all pointless, just give me the WDC already!”
    FA: “I bet I could take a better picture than this cameraman. The cameraman doesn’t look that good, all I’d have to do is work harder than him and I’d take better photos. I’m sure he’s standing all wrong…”
    EB: “This is nice…”

15. James (@jimmyd13) said on 13th January 2013, 0:00

Kimi: So this is F1. Well this is boring can i go now.