Bianchi wins Massa’s annual kart race in Brazil

2013 F1 season

Jules Bianchi, Desafio Internacional das Estrelas 2013Jules Bianchi triumphed in the annual Desafio Internacional das Estrelas kart competition held in Brazil by Felipe Massa.

The Force India test driver won the first round of the two-heat competition ahead of former F1 racers Lucas di Grassi and Vitantonio Liuzzi.

Bianchi took fourth in the second race which was enough to secure overall victory with 40 points. Second place in the final standings went to race two winner Felipe Nasr on 35, followed by Di Grassu on 30.

Fernando Alonso had a difficult event, retiring from the first race with a faulty accelerator on his kart and finishing 18th in race two.

However he said he was keen to return again: “It was a very enjoyable weekend and I hope the spectators had has much fun as I did. Will I be back next year? If Felipe asks me, definitely.”

Massa also had trouble with engine problems limiting him to tenth and eighth. “This was probably the hardest Desafio ever for me,” he said.

“If everything is not perfect, then even a tenth can make a big difference. My engine was not at its best yesterday and I paid for that today. The most important thing is that the event is getting bigger year after year. I was very pleased that Fernando was here with us and I?m sure he had fun.”

Bianchi, Ferrari’s development driver, is believed to be in the running for a race seat with Force India this year. He won the event last year before losing his victory due to a technical infringement.

“I am very happy with this victory,” he said afterwards. “I had already won last year, but that time there was a slight mistake with the weight of the kart, but this time everything went well.”

“It?s nice to race against some of the best drivers and in front of such a big and enthusiastic crowd. I want to the thank the Massa family for everything and I hope I can come back next year to take part again.”

Desafio Internacional das Estrelas 2013 pictures

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

28 comments on Bianchi wins Massa’s annual kart race in Brazil

1. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 13th January 2013, 17:54

Ιs Buemi’s kart in Lotus’ colours?!

2. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 13th January 2013, 18:01

Αlso, Grosjean won the RoC and the next day was announced by Lotus. What will happen with Bianchi?

3. Deepak (@ideepak) said on 13th January 2013, 18:03

I wonder if the driver-line up competition for the VJM06 had anything to do with Bianchi’s win in this race.

“Must prove self to Mallya, MUST PROVE SELF!!!!”

If everybody on track is using their personal colors for the livery, why is Bianchi using Force India’s ? With the exception of the Lotuses with Red Bull uniformed drivers sitting in them of course.

4. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th January 2013, 18:14

Massa also had trouble with engine problems limiting him to tenth and eighth

Poor Felipe, doesn’t even make it when he organizes the race…

5. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 13th January 2013, 18:32

The karts look like soap bars….hate the look!

6. mhop (@mhop) said on 13th January 2013, 18:59

Is this televised? Would be good to watch.

7. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 13th January 2013, 21:36

Where did Buemi finish?

8. Kimi4WDC said on 14th January 2013, 11:25

I hate this new bodywork….looks even more ugly than an Indy Car. ’96~2005 my favorite body kits for karts.

9. sumedh said on 14th January 2013, 11:32

I like how every driver’s surname is written like on a registration plate of a regular road car.

I think F1 should do the same. It will help the casual viewer to know which driver is which.

10. sumedh said on 14th January 2013, 11:34

And I wish Felipe goes back to using the orange helmet he used at Brazil. That color seemed much more ‘happier’ than this yellow.

11. wsrgo said on 14th January 2013, 13:05

Hah! The great Alonso can’t even beat a bunch of amateurs..

12. Gabriel Fernando (@gabrielfernando) said on 15th January 2013, 15:25

Felipe Nasr drove superb.