Di Resta surprised by Force India driver delay

F1 Fanatic round-up

Paul di Resta, Force India, Singapore, 2012In the round-up: Paul di Resta says he is surprised Force India haven’t confirmed their driver line-up yet.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Di Resta in the dark (Sky)

“I am surprised there has been nothing yet. The team have said they will announce it in good time as to where they are going to be, and I have to respect that.”

Gascoyne: Kovalainen should have shown more respect (Crash)

“Heikki is a very talented driver but, last year, his management did not handle him very well and he has not done himself any favours. It is a tough environment out there for everyone. He has had three years with Caterham, was paid well, and he should have shown more respect about that.”

Be the team leader Jenson: Stewart urges Button to be McLaren’s No. 1 driver this season ahead of new boy Perez (Daily Mail)

“You’ve someone in Jenson who knows the engineers, telemetry people, knows the business, and who has been there, seen it and done it. So I think he can do it again (win the world title) with the right equipment, and there cannot be a better supplier of that equipment than McLaren.”

Parr urges fans to demand more of F1 (Autosport)

“I think on one level Bernie [Ecclestone] does an amazingly good job of keeping people out, because it increases the fascination. But, on the other hand, people pay a lot of money to go to Silverstone, to subscribe to watch on satellite, and they deserve more access.”

Guido Forti 1940 ?ǣ 2013 (Joe Saward)

Guido Forti, whose eponymous team competed in Formula One in 1995 and 1996, has died.

Government questions Mallya?s claim of Kingfisher Airlines flying again (The Times of India)

“‘We… want Mallya to ensure proper funding before he can get the airline back in the sky again to ensure the airline is able to maintain its schedule and fly with utmost safety standards,’ said an official.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

I had no trouble finding lots of great suggestions for yesterday’s Caption Competition – Nick, BradAndCoffee, Tom L., JamesBrickles and JamieFranklinF1 all made great suggestions.

But my favourite came from the quick-on-the-draw @TommyB89, who as we saw last year is rather too good at these!

Kimi Raikkonen, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Enrique Bernoldi, Melbourne, 2001

Alonso: “I can?t wait to get to Ferrari, Minardi can?t even afford to buy me a cap.”

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Ace and Kei!

On this day in F1

Chris Amon won another non-championship race at Levin on this day in 1968, one week after his victory at Pukekohe.

Images ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team/BMW ag

85 comments on Di Resta surprised by Force India driver delay

1. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 13th January 2013, 10:17

Surprised by the Kovalainen news and couldn’t agree more with Parr.

2. This interested me from the Stewart article:

With stability in the regulations from last season through to the forthcoming campaign that starts on March 17 in Australia, Stewart fears Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel will make it four titles in a row.
    Asked whether they would dominate again, Stewart said: ‘There’s a big risk of that happening.

I was confused as to why, unless they were relating it to Button’s title challenge hopes, they would “fear” Vettel would win a fourth title. Although granted this is from the same man that said Vettel is “not a great yet”; whilst I can see where he’s coming from with those particular comments I feel it shows that he isn’t Vettel’s number 1 fan. If he is wishing to show impartiality though then I feel he shouldn’t say there is a “risk” of Vettel and Red Bull winning again.

• FS (@vfftw) said on 13th January 2013, 10:52

Stewart never wishes to show impartiality. I suggest we leave him be. ;)

• @vfftw – as a fellow national I like the guy and I respect him immensely both as a driver and for his safety campaign, which has likely saved many drivers lives, but he does make an awful lot of biased or senseless comments. Perhaps it’s his age! ;)

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 13th January 2013, 14:24

I think, Max, that he is talking about fans or potential fans of other drivers/teams getting bored if RBR appear unbeatable, and leaving F1 fandom as was supposed to have happened when MS and Ferrari dominated.
          I say good riddance if they have such a short attention span and such a partisan viewpoint.

• @hohum – indeed but I feel there is a definite distinction between Ferrari in the early 2000’s and Red Bull now: it was pretty much a foregone conclusion before the race began usually in the period of Ferrari dominance that Schumacher would win comfortably, so it was a surprise when he didn’t. On the other hand, the grid is incredibly competitive now and you’d be a brave person to have bet on who would win the title or indeed the next race at the start of last season. Sure, 2011 was rather more predictable but again Vettel looked as if he had to (and did) fight for his victories on many occasions for example in Spain, although in qualifying not so much.

I can totally see from a casual fans perspective why it may appear on face value that Red Bull are dominating and so Jackie Stewarts comments make sense in that respect but if we delve deeper we can see that it isn’t at all a formality that Red Bull will win next year.

So from my perspective anyway it’s nothing to fear, as likely we’ll have some fanatstic racing in the process!

3. Ean (@ean) said on 13th January 2013, 10:52

I think the delay is because Force India does not know if they are going racing this year because of Mallya financial problems

• Mads (@mads) said on 13th January 2013, 11:37

@ean
      I think they will have much bigger problems then some driver contracts if they don’t have the money to continue.
      Maybe the sponsorship deals are just taking their time, and they don’t want to sign whichever rich rookie they have found before the sponsorship deals are in place.

4. oggie509 (@oggie509) said on 13th January 2013, 12:31

Unrelated to all the roundup… was just killing some time and went onto google street view of albert park, melbourne. It uses shots from both during 2009 w/e and from a time when the F1 circus is not in town. I found it fascinating, so its worth a look to see if you can remember your way around!

5. AlokIn (@) said on 13th January 2013, 14:21

Mallya’s financial situation is getting worse. He has not paid the salary to his 4000 airline employees from last 7 seven months. His private jet confiscated. I failed to understand what is the point in putting his money in F1, if he invests same money in his airline then many families will live happily.

6. Hairs (@hairs) said on 13th January 2013, 21:05

Here’s a question for mike Gascoyne: if he admits the f1 team have underperformed, why did he move out of it after 18 months?

As employee #1 surely he was the linchpin of the whole operation?

7. Michael Brown (@) said on 15th January 2013, 13:30

Two things:
    First, Di Resta keeps talking as if he’s got the seat at Force India. But the fact is he doesn’t.

Second, his comments that his teammate needs to be a team player suggests he is trying to assert himself in an Alonso-style role, but he’s never given performances like Hülkenburg and Pérez have.

He’s good enough for an F1 seat, but he’s not the next star of F1.