The many helmets of Sebastian Vettel

F1 pictures

For many racing drivers their helmet design is a fixed part of their identity. But for the current world champion that identity is ever-changing.

Since he first appeared in F1 in 2006 Sebastian Vettel has used over 50 different helmet designs. He even had a special design to mark the appearance of his 50th style in Italy last year.

Vettel’s passion for different helmet designs started at a young age, according to his helmet designer Jens Munser. “He was eight years old and he wanted the crab from The Little Mermaid on it, which was called Sebastian too.”

Munser has typically produced a new design following each of Vettel’s 26 Grand Prix wins so far. And he also uses special designs for some races.

At Singapore last year Vettel raced with a unique flashing helmet, with LEDs used to represent stars and constellations. This gave Munser a few headaches.

“I was worried it might interfere with the radio. I was hoping the battery would last, it?s a long race, nearly two hours. It was amazing when he won the race, he was greeting the fans and the helmet was still flashing.”

The Singapore helmet and the rest of Vettel’s F1 designs can be seen in the gallery below. But expect it to be out of date soon after the 2013 season starts…

Pictures: Sebastian Vettel’s F1 helmet designs

This is the first helmet Vettel used in F1 while participating in practice sessions for BMW in 2006.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, BMW, 2006

2009 Chinese Grand Prix

Vettel sported this design when he scored his second career win and first for Red Bull.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2009 Chinese Grand Prix

2009 Singapore Grand Prix

Vettel has always used a new helmet design for the Singapore Grand Prix. This one from 2009 also appeared in Brazil and Abu Dhabi that year.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2009 Singapore Grand Prix

2010 British Grand Prix

Several of Vettel’s helmet designs have included references to his mechanics, such as this one from Silverstone in 2010.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2010 British Grand Prix

2010 Japanese Grand Prix

Suzuka is Vettel’s favourite track – in his four appearances there he has won three times and never failed to start from pole position. His 2010 helmet incorporated the Japanese flag.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2010 Japanese Grand Prix

2011 Monaco Grand Prix

A retro design from Monte-Carlo in 2011, when he scored his only victory in the principality to date.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2011 Monaco Grand Prix

2011 Indian Grand Prix

Another of Vettel’s team-orientated designs from the first Indian Grand Prix in 2011

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2011 Indian Grand Prix

2012 Italian Grand Prix

Vettel marked his 50th different helmet design at the 2012 Italian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2012 Italian Grand Prix

2012 United States Grand Prix

Vettel’s most recent new design was this Texas-themed one for the first race at the Circuit of the Americas last year.

Sebastian Vettel helmet design, Red Bull, 2012 United States Grand Prix

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? BMW, Red Bull/GEPA, Red Bull/Getty

72 comments on The many helmets of Sebastian Vettel

1. He was eight years old and he wanted the crab from The Little Mermaid on it, which was called Sebastian too.

So Jens Munser was his helmet designer since he was eight years old?! Did Vettel grow up in a fairly well of family or has he been receiving backing from such a young age? I would think that someone of Mr. Munsers reputation would be quite costly…

2. Nick.UK (@) said on 15th January 2013, 19:45

Silverstone 2010 is perhaps the only one I like.

I don’t necessarily mean that I dislike all the others. Just that I don’t particularly care for them one way or the other.

3. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 15th January 2013, 20:04

Man I had to look twice at this pic. I thought he was showiing the middle finger on this pic…

4. Lewis Glover said on 15th January 2013, 22:44

The only reason he changes his helmet after every Grand Prix victory is so that in twenty years time he can say that “that was the helmet I used to win X grand prix” which in turn will make it unique and therefore more valuable… he’s just making sure he has a nice retirement fund.

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 27th January 2013, 21:42

That’s a bit shallow isn’t it?
      As a karter, I enjoyed the moment when the helmet came out of the box and there was a fresh design on it, and maybe Vettel likes it, and seeing as he can afford it, why not?
      It also keeps Jens Munser in business, so that can only be a good thing as well

5. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 16th January 2013, 0:08

On reflection, some are quite good.

However I really struggled with the “commemorating 50 helmet designs” one. It’s a bit like the Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton of the helmet world – famous for being famous (or in the case of the helmet – a new design to commemorate new designs… :-/)

6. Steven (@modtl) said on 16th January 2013, 1:36

Must admit I do like Sebastian’s helmets. Always interesting to see what design he picks race after race and also they all look vaguely similar – you can always tell it’s him not Mark. And that’s the important thing.

7. Vettel was Proving of his words ” I’m Not Baby Schumacher I’m a New Vettel” in every aspect
    Micheal has the Red colored helmet for most of his career. But Vettel already has 50+ designs.

8. Abdurahman (@) said on 16th January 2013, 4:32

This gave me a headache……….

9. juergen (@juergen) said on 16th January 2013, 6:57

Thanks for all the pictures. Like someone else commented here, I used to look for info about thinks like this as a spare time. I feel I have been overloaded with the amount and quality. With that said, I honestly do not like the changing of his designs. For me it is like changing a logo every other month in a company.

10. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 16th January 2013, 9:39

At first glance I’ve read “too many helmets of Sebastian Vettel”. And there is something to it actually, because I personally like when drivers stick to one design and thus become recognizable on track. Not that Vettel’s helmet are ugly or something like that, they are graphically interesting and on most occasions pleasing for the eye. It’s just that they don’t necessarily make distinguishing Vettel from Webber easier.

11. Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 16th January 2013, 12:13

I wonder how much each helmet costs to paint? I heard the helmets themselves are around 14,000 GBP. Is that right?

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 16th January 2013, 21:04

I don’t get how people find this a) annoying ) confusing.

a) It’s a unique characteristic in Vettel pretty much, surely we ought to encourage that?

b) Confused which RBR driver is Vettel? Simple, it’s the one without the yellow helmet.

13. I had an orgasm over 40 times I think, I became addicted to Formula 1 then I think … Seb is the best!

14. I love that Vettel changes the design so frequently, at really got a kick out of the LED’s. Some of the designs fail, imo, but can’t fault him for trying. Bravo.

15. Korea 2011. The helmet to end all helmets. I didn’t think I could ever fall in love with a helmet design, but wow the black, with gold detailing is simply beautiful.