Massa: ‘Alonso would support me if I were leading’

2013 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 2013Felipe Massa says Ferrari would require Fernando Alonso to support him in the drivers’ championship if he was leading it.

Massa has sacrificed points and positions for Alonso on several occasions in recent seasons but he says if roles were reversed Alonso would have to do the same for him.

Massa said: “We are fighting for two titles and I am sure the team will help me if it turns out that my situation was the same as the one that meant Fernando was a contender these past years.

“I remember when Kimi [Raikkonen] was my team mate and how much we helped one another from one season to the next. It?s the same with Fernando, it?s team work, while the harmony between us is a help, as it would be in any job.”

He added: “I can?t imagine a team not wanting two competitive drivers.”

Last year Ferrari chose to deliberately incur a gearbox change penalty on Massa’s car at the United States Grand Prix, relegating him five places on the grid and moving Alonso forward one. In 2010 Massa was ordered to hand victory to Alonso in the German Grand Prix.

Massa believes his opportunity to compete for the championship will be decided by his performances: “In Australia we start over from zero and it will all depend on my ability and on the way the championship pans out<" he said.

"I hope to get off to the best possible start and my aim is always to carry the Brazilian flag onto the highest step of the podium.

"This year, I am the only Brazilian in Formula One and it was an emotional time on the podium in Interlagos last year, hearing the fans cheering my name: it?s a sign of the affection and closeness I feel from my country and that is fundamental for me."

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

54 comments on Massa: ‘Alonso would support me if I were leading’

1. Tomcat173 (@tomcat173) said on 17th January 2013, 22:15

I think Massa’s real point here is that Ferrari would force Alonso to help him if Massa’s position in the standings late in the season is substantially better – which is probably right. The odds of him being in that positiion – thats another story completely.

Of course Alonso would absolutely hate a situation where Massa was ahead, and would probably pull all sorts of tricks to get in front again.

• Bruno (@brunes) said on 18th January 2013, 9:47

Here I am, thinking: “Maybe Massa can have a shot at it”
      But “would probably pull all sorts of tricks to get in front again” reminded me of Alonso blocking Lewis in the pits in 2007, and yes, you are right. He won’t let that happen either by racing faster than Massa or by “making sure” massa stays behind him.

• Francuis (@francuis) said on 18th January 2013, 12:28

You are twisting what really happened. Hamilton broke a promise and understanding between drivers and team that it was Alonso turn to be out on track on the last run on qualifying and Alonso was on a heated argument on the radio, to Ron Dennis, trying to force Ron to order Lewis to stick to the agreement made in the team meeting, as this was not the fist time it happened. If Lewis was playing this games and Ron did not managed his drivers this is the thing that happens out of frustration. Neither Lewis nor Ron kept the word. I might have done worse.

2. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 17th January 2013, 22:36

Meanwhile, Marussia have said they can win the 2013 Constructors Title.

It won’t happen! As much respect for Massa as I have, unless he continues his form he showed in the second half of the season, I can’t see him beating Alonso… He’s just far too consistent.

3. Shomir (@shomir) said on 18th January 2013, 10:49

this is assuming massa is in viable contention for the WDC and alonso is not, the problem lies in the first few races, where it is assumed that alonso would need the help from massa, this tips the scales in favour of alonso. if ferrari were to be more fair in their judgement of their drivers, they would let them both race as equals for the first few races of the season; at least until Catalunya, before making any decision on who is the ‘one who needs their teammates help’. this would be highly unlikely.

4. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 18th January 2013, 11:59

everybody is quick to laugh at massas comment but look at it logically and theres nothing funny about it, if massa leads alonso by 100 points at the half way point in the season its obvious the team (yes that includes fernando, he’s employed by ferrari and will do what they ask of him) will support him, even if alonso wasnt happy he would still do it, alonso has never been in the position where he had to support his team mate so how people know he would refuse and not obey his teams orders is beyond me.

5. He added: “I can’t imagine a team not wanting two competitive drivers.”
    Seriously restrained chuckles aside, why does he think he’s been in F1 since 2009?