Marussia confirm Glock’s departure

2013 F1 season

Timo Glock, Marussia, Valencia, 2012Marussia have confirmed Timo Glock will not drive for them this year.

The team issued a statement saying the decision was reached “by mutual consent”.

Glock was originally contracted to drive for them during the 2013 season. Team principal John Booth indicated the team had to let him go to take on a paying driver:

“Our team was founded on the principle of benefiting from proven experience whilst also providing opportunities for young emerging talent to progress to the pinnacle of motorsport. Thus far, this philosophy has also been reflected in our commercial model.

“The ongoing challenges facing the industry mean that we have had to take steps to secure our long-term future. Tough economic conditions prevail and the commercial landscape is difficult for everyone, Formula 1 teams included.

“We would like to thank Timo for working with us to reach this decision, especially as he had a valid contract, and also for the contribution he has made to our Team. We wish him all the best for his future and I would like to congratulate the next team acquiring the services of such a competitive, professional and experienced racer.”

Glock said: “I have had three excellent years with the Marussia F1 Team, during which I had the chance to actively participate in building and developing the team in its endeavours to succeed within the Formula One world championship.

“I would like to wish the team good luck in navigating this next period and thank everyone for the great times we shared and the support I have received.

“Although it is not the path I expected to be taking, I am in fact very excited about what the future holds in terms of my own career and I hope to comment on that very soon.”

Booth praised Glock’s efforts since joining the team in 2010, when they were Virgin: “Timo has made a very significant contribution to our team over the past three seasons, helping us to develop our package to the point where, for a large proportion of the 2012 season, we were holding 10th place in the constructors? championship.”

“Timo is a fantastic driver and he has been a very popular member of the team,” he added.

The news means the team only have F1 rookie Max Chilton confirmed in their driver line-up for 2013.

See the updated list of 2013 F1 drivers and teams

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Marussia

77 comments on Marussia confirm Glock’s departure

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 21st January 2013, 11:04

Well, that’s sad! Having Glock around always have us a good gauge to the different drivers they brought in alongside him. Of course, he’s also a decent driver.

2. wsrgo said on 21st January 2013, 11:06

F1 is for pay drivers. DTM is for talented drivers. I’m sorry, I never thought I’d be saying this. But just when Marussia were looking up(Pat Symonds and KERS and all), they’ve let go of an important person. Who will they take now? Petrov?

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 21st January 2013, 11:11

Certainly pay drivers are more likely to get the seat In a smaller team, but can you honestly say that any of the DTM drivers are better drivers than Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Webber, or Button?

Because I certainly wouldn’t take a DTM driver over any of those guys.

• wsrgo said on 21st January 2013, 17:03

@tophercheese21 I’m talking about the present generation. Vettel was probably the last big find(question marks still around Maldonado, Perez, Hulkenberg et. al.). Look at some talents like Jamie Green, Gary Paffett, Edoardo Mortara, Bruno Spengler… all of them came close bt are now on top in DTM. Robert Wickens and Roberto Merhi were strong talents too…but they had no place in F1.

• Your comment is nonsense.
      1) DTM doesn’t take pay drivers? Then how do you explain Ralf Schumacher trolling around at the back of the field for the last 5 years. He’s not the only washed up former F1 driver who’s turned up in that series either
      2) The best drivers in touring car series such as DTM are often people who have failed to make a career in single seaters. Sure they are different disciplines and touring car drivers are still top class drivers but Formula One is still the pinnacle of motorsport. Look at Paul Di Resta, DTM champion and still he has yet to convince me after 2 years he is anything but average. Gary Paffett the same, been a champion in the past in DTM, been in the frame for more titles on more than one occasion and yet Mclaren have never contemplated putting him in one of their cars. And Mclaren aren’t shy if they have a special talent on their hands, just look at Hamilton back in 2007.

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 21st January 2013, 11:07

Clearly this wouldn’t have happened if Marussia had maintained their 10th place in the constructors.

4. Kazuki (@formula-1) said on 21st January 2013, 11:34

Even though he is out of a racing seat I don’t think this is the end of Glock in F1, maybe competitve racing yes, but I can imagine him becoming a third driver, maybe at Lotus or Sauber, he has enough experience and I am pretty sure he is a team player, after all he stayed with Virgin/Marussia for 3 years, so I definitely think he could help develop a car. As well as that I do imagine him now turning his hand to touring cars, this is what is probably better for him now, it would probably be better for him to shine in touring cars that to wrack up laps at the back.

5. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 21st January 2013, 11:57

I wouldn’t say I am a Glock fan, but I like the guy and wanted him to do well but what I think this outlines more than anything is the direction that F1 is going more and more. We know that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and with that comes high costs but its looks as though Marussia are going to be having 2 pay drivers now.

I just hope that other teams aren’t forced to go down this route and can find otherways of getting funding.

6. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 21st January 2013, 12:11

Other people saying they arn’t surprised by this news…I am shocked, it’s not something I ever even thought about.. I guess i just assumed that Glocks seat was a given.

I can’t help thinking that Formula 1 in general is not as prepared for this season as previous ones – there are still 2 Grand Prixs to be finalised, still 3 drivers to be announced, car launches are later and being announced later..testing is starting in a couple of weeks, is everybody ready? I don’t think so.

7. hoffy said on 21st January 2013, 12:20

according to joe sawards blog , glock is due to test a mercedes dtm car next week….

8. Shimks (@shimks) said on 21st January 2013, 12:49

Interesting news and some very interesting comments from you peeps.

It really is a shambles, isn’t it. The whole economic model is pear-shaped.

We need a ban on pay drivers; which is, of course, impossible at the moment. But we must get to the stage where salaried drivers are hired on driving and development abilities, not “dowries”. This surely is the only healthy way to run a sport – so that the best drivers from other series have a chance to move up into F1.

The answer is, of course, for those greedy bar stewards who run the sport to share profits more equally. It will only profit all parties in the end. At the moment, they are being bloody short-sighted in my opinion.

Queue Michael Douglas shouting, “Greed is good!”

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st January 2013, 13:04

@shimks

No, the answer is to find a way to cut costs so that teams can compete for $50 million a year, instead of the $400 million that some of them are currently spending. “Sharing the profits” is only going to give the teams more money to spend when costs are already too high.

9. Spanky Speed (@spankyspeed) said on 21st January 2013, 13:21

I guess Glock’s move to BMW is a done deal.
    BMW works driver and long time friend of Glock had the following twitter conversation with him:

Dirk Müller: @realTimoGlock Many congrats and welcome in the club:-)))
    Timo Glock: @muellerdirk ppssss danke