Russian Grand Prix gets November date for 2014

2014 F1 season

Sochi Olympic Park F1 track renderingThe inaugural Russian Grand Prix will get a November slot on the 2014 F1 calendar, according to the mayor of Sochi.

Sochi mayor Anatoly Pakhomov told R-Sport (part of state-owned media agency Ria Novosti) “after the Olympics, in November, the Formula One will be held.” Sochi will hold the 2014 Wintor Olympics in February.

The F1 teams can expect cool conditions for Russia’s first Grand Prix – the average temperature in Sochi in November is 10.9C.

Location of Sochi

The Sochi circuit will use the roads of the Olympic Park which is under construction.

The location of the park and circuit can be seen below, although the roads built so far don’t correspond exactly to those shown in the image above:

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

60 comments on Russian Grand Prix gets November date for 2014

1. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 25th January 2013, 21:24

Seems like every new race gets put at the end of the season, they are just squeezing more and more races between Japan and brazil whilst the first half of the championship remains the same every year…I would love to see a new grand prix being put in the first 7 races!

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 25th January 2013, 23:53

I’ve noticed this trend also.

The middle six races of the championship (Rounds 7-12) are separated by almost double the number of days that separate the last six races (13 weeks compared to 7).

This difference increases further if the factory shut down break is taken into account and we count the gap between rounds 7-13 and rounds 13-19 (15 weeks compared to 8).

However, I do think this is a good situation to be in. As the season reaches it end we have less time to wait between races to find out what will unfold. It also limits the time teams have to develop – Having 3 sets of back-to-back races can really make it difficult to bring new components, which usually ensures the grid stays close (If it’s close in the first place!).

So staging the race in November is good in my opinion, especially if the cooler temperatures than what the teams are use to play a part.

2. Elreno (@elreno) said on 25th January 2013, 22:44

Looks like another flat “car park” circuit to me. Give me a proper track like Austin anyday. I’d rather the New Jersey event go ahead – that looks like Monaco on steroids.

3. Pelican (@pelican) said on 25th January 2013, 23:37

Besides the temperature, which I guess won’t be too different from the winter testing in Spain, what will the weather be like? Late-fall storms and driving rain?
    Actually, it sounds just like Spa in midsummer, come to think of it… They’ll be fine.

4. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 26th January 2013, 0:40

Introducing the tyres for the Russian GP….Super Super Softs…or Hyper Softs? :P

5. William (@william) said on 26th January 2013, 0:55

Apparently Austin is going to move to a closer date to NJ and Montreal but they should put it around May or even April. It’s going to look like Greater Noida- Dubai-Sochi-Interlagos and they have got Mexico pushing and on Cape Town it has got 2014. What is Bernie going to do now he has going to have far way too many circuits. http://www.capetowngrandprixsa.co.za/

• @william – likely Ecclestone will continue cutting F1′s ties with Europe but I imagine Korea isn’t staying for very long and (fingers crossed) perhaps they’ll see some sense and ditch Bahrain.

That means that two slots will be vacant (NJ will bring the number of races back up to 20 in 2014 if the calendar stays as is) if we assume there will be no-more than 20 races and that the aforementioned Grand Prix are removed from the calendar. Obviously one such slot will go to Russia, leaving one empty (although perhaps only temporarily as Thailand is due to host a race in 2015), so the contenders for the remaining space will have to fight over it! I think a Mexican GP is a distinct possibility though as we already have two Mexican drivers and the possibility had been raised several times throughout last year.

I hadn’t heard of the prospect for a Grand Prix in South Africa though so thank you for the link!

• William (@william) said on 27th January 2013, 2:27

@vettel1 – Bernie is demanding that Korea is going to stay on the calendar for now which ends in 2016. Bernie has said we will return to Bahrain “forever”. I would expect that the new Concorde Agreement has 20 races with a few spares, has the F1 supremo has said F1 doesn’t need the new Concorde Agreement. No worries the South African GP I was searching for that GP and I saw this link.

6. angelflorida (@angelflorida) said on 26th January 2013, 10:38

20 races should be the limit

7. f1news.ru: Sochi Grand Prix will be in October

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 27th January 2013, 10:28

I’ll believe it when I see it. This could create so many headaches it seems ridiculous to suggest that a date would be set right now. I’m all for a challenge butNovember seems ambitious to me.