Lotus E21 launch: First pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

The Lotus E21 has become the first new F1 car of the 2013 to break cover after it was revealed by the team at its factory.

Team principal Eric Boullier said the squad are aiming for the top three in the constructors’ championship with their new car.

The E21 features a step in its nose despite teams being allowed to use a ‘vanity panel’ to cover them if they choose. Technical director James Allison said: “we have not done it yet because the cosmetic panel would weigh a few grams and with a Formula One car putting a few grams on that you don’t need to is anathema to us.

“However if we find a cosmetic panel that looks nice but, much more importantly and crucially, develops a bit of downforce, then we’ll pop it on quick as you like.”

The team have retained Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean for their 2013 campaign and the pair will start their second year together as team mates.

Also unchanged is the team’s engine supplier, Renault. This is the second car the team has produced since changing its name to Lotus.

It carries on the model designation introduced last year: the E21 is the 21st car produced by this team in its four different identities: Toleman, Benetton, Renault and Lotus.

Video: Lotus E21 laser display

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

120 comments on Lotus E21 launch: First pictures and video

1. photozen (@photozen) said on 28th January 2013, 19:51

I feel the livery is ok, not a great graphics achievement but fairly clean. Seems like 2 shades of gold the red for some reason doesn’t look at bad as last year. I noticed all images avoid a close look at the side pods, and a lot of it seems a bit McLarenesque, but overall a pretty sleek new Lotus F1 car and we will see what Kimi and Romain can do with it soon. The announcer for the launch seemed a bit off, but all in all a good launch and again, a pretty sleek new Lotus.

2. Rick Lopez (@viscountviktor) said on 28th January 2013, 19:54

Are these graphics fake, the exhaust dosen’t look real?

3. Russell Gould (@russellgould) said on 28th January 2013, 19:55

Not all the photos have front suspension pieces obscured. It looks to be very tidy, in an aero sense. And look at those crazy turning vanes extending down from the front hubs. Nice wings on front suspension components should give some additional bite.

As a contender, it looks to have all the right pieces, including drivers.

4. Slr (@slr) said on 28th January 2013, 20:04

I’m disappointed to see the stepped-nose, but whatever works for them.

When I saw the livery, initially I was like “what on earth is this”, but now I think it looks great. Black and red has always gone well together I believe.

• I’ve always liked the black/red.

I’ve read on another site that potential reason for stepped nose still is that they’ve found some performance gain from the ‘modesty’ panel and dont wanna give it away yet.

5. Get rid of the red on the side and it would be properly pretty, last years car was the best shapes and i like the new gold bits, much more subtle, just the red sidepods…

So, i fixed it https://twitter.com/Butler_F1/status/295982437740195840/photo/1

Unfortunately im not quick enough to photoshop the live stream video so it’ll be red during the races.

6. “It’s ok..” – Kimi Raikkonen

7. Master said on 28th January 2013, 20:12

It’s a E20 Hybrid, not true E21 yet. (Like Lotus did in 2012 Launch pretending R31 Hybrid was a new E20) Let’s wait til Lotus put its new real car on track.

• robfff said on 28th January 2013, 22:58

It goes without saying…

All the cars released will be PR versions and not really what we will see at the track.

8. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 28th January 2013, 20:13

My thoughts on the extra Red is that it is there because the team now has sponsorship from Coca-Cola via their “Burn” energy drink.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 29th January 2013, 3:58

@fisha695 – If that were the case, the red would be centred on the Burn logos. Looking at the car, the increased red in the livery couldn’t be further away from those logos.

Besides, this is what a can of Burn looks like. Their colours are black, gold and orange. No red.

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 29th January 2013, 9:55

Yes but Burn is a Coca-Cola product that is only sold in a few countries, the extended red will have the defacto “hey that’s the Coke car” response from people pretty much universally across the globe. Putting the red around the Burn logos wouldn’t work because as you said their logo (specifically the upper part of the flame) contains orange which would get lost in the red.

9. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 28th January 2013, 20:15

Last year I said the E20 looked ot innovatice and that it would probably be uncompettative. I was made to eat those words, which is a good thing, bcs I really support his team!

This one looks underwhelmong too… but! I like the livery, was ecpecting to see the “Burn”brand featured more prominently though…

All in all, I like :D

10. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 28th January 2013, 20:21

Not using the ‘vanity panel’ because

the panel would add weight to the car.

Proper motor racing attitude :)

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th January 2013, 20:23

I like it. The red looks good, especially on the sidepods. The front wing also looks cool. It’d be nice to se it without the stepped nose but I always thought it was the best of a bad bunch anyway.

12. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 28th January 2013, 20:31

Is it just me or does the step in the nose look like it’s a little further back than last years? maybe they’ve found a use for the ‘vanity panel’?, probably just my eyes playing tricks on me but damn the back end looks sleek, and I like the little more red in the livery.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 29th January 2013, 8:00

I have also heard speculation that they will introduce the vanity panel, but don’t want to show it yet as to not give away any hints to their competitors. Personally, I think this is nonsense: the nose cone is pretty much not a key area for improvement (except possibly the height and surface of the underside of the nose). Also looking at the 2014 regulations, it seems a bit unnecessary to focus on the nose as the regulations for it will change for next year anyway.

13. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 28th January 2013, 20:33

>the nose

Nooooope.

14. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 28th January 2013, 20:43

It looks ok I suppose, not a big fan of the red on it, I don’t really mind the step nose.

15. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 28th January 2013, 20:53

No team will show the final version of the 2013 car before the first race for sure. And the rules hasn’t change a lot. Expect the radical change by the teams that didn’t hit the spot last year.

16. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 28th January 2013, 20:54

That’s gorgeous.

17. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 28th January 2013, 20:54

Noticed Kimi’s name up by the T-pod.

18. Love the steering wheel LOL

19. FlyingLobster27 said on 28th January 2013, 20:57

Anyone else noticed the mock-up steering wheel? No prizes for guessing what the “Ice Cream” or “Angry Bird” buttons do… aaaaand I just got the joke for the one labelled “Jenson”. What a groaner. :D

20. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 28th January 2013, 20:58

To me it looks like two cars. Look at the side view. The back half and the front half just dont match. The back is nice and sleek and then the front has a stupid boxey look to it

Such is modern f1 today i guess