Ferrari name their 2013 F1 car the F138

2013 F1 season

Ferrari 150??? Italia launch, Maranello, 2011Ferrari’s new F1 car for the 2013 season will be called the F138.

Ferrari say the name is derived in part from the year it will compete and partly to recognise it as the final year of the current V8 engine formula.

The F138 is the 59th car built by the team to compete in the world championship. It will be launched in an event at Maranello on Friday.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

67 comments on Ferrari name their 2013 F1 car the F138

1. Enigma (@enigma) said on 30th January 2013, 10:45

Any idea what time the launch is?

2. Nick.UK (@) said on 30th January 2013, 11:00

Hopefully next years car will be called the ‘F60′ and have a proper Ferrari name!

3. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 30th January 2013, 11:03

Every year Ferrari names are getting weirder and weirder. I hope next year they will name their car with more usual number combination, like F2014.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th January 2013, 11:12

@osvaldas31 I don’t, I like a bit of variety.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 30th January 2013, 18:07

It is certainly nice to have variety, especially when Ferrari have had boring names for a long time, although to be honest I liked those names! The F2007 and F2008 were beautiful names in my opinion, but that’s probably because I love those cars (and the F2004), whilst I hated the 246 F1 name.
        This F138 name is curious and not so obvious, which is nice, although something more specific or more retro rather than random numbers would be appreciated!

• mrhanz said on 30th January 2013, 11:19

My bet is 266 F1.

• JimmyTheIllustratedBlindSolidSilverBeachStackapopolis III said on 30th January 2013, 18:51

I like that they have marked the sad end to the v8 era this way. All the engines in formula one the v8′s the v10′s the v12′s and im sure the ones before each have a distinct sound. The v8 is about to be consigned to it’s place in history and unless the cars are fitted with stereos and a looped cd of v10 orchestra i don’t see how it can get better, only worse.

4. Eggry (@eggry) said on 30th January 2013, 11:13

Irregular name of Ferrari always confuse me. I like F2008 or F2012-like chassis code.

5. Klaas de Vries said on 30th January 2013, 11:27

Every time Ferrari named their car with some ‘significant’ number the car proved to be a dog (ex. F60, F150′). Hopefully it’s not gonna be the case this season.

• Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 30th January 2013, 11:31

What about last year’s F2012? Yes, improved over the course of the year, but started out as a true dog of a car.

• mrhanz said on 30th January 2013, 11:33

What about the F2005?

• jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 30th January 2013, 12:02

The F150 might not have been up there at the front but it was easily the best-looking car in 2011 and probably in the top-10 best looking cars imo, absolutely gorgeous. Loved the Tricolore on the rear wing too, nice touch.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 30th January 2013, 12:12

The F2003-GA did just about enough to win a world chanmpionship and it had a “special name”.

• Klaas de Vries said on 30th January 2013, 13:34

@bobthevulcan It started as a dog but ended up being a title contender – all in all it was a competitive package.
      mrhanz I meant just one directon not the other way around also
      @geemac Still the main part was of the name was standard
      It doesn’t really mean anything, but for numerologists maybe, I just find it interesting that in the last couple of years each time they had an ‘unstandard’ name they were out of the game.

• Wallbreaker (@wallbreaker) said on 30th January 2013, 14:50

Remember the 248 F1? It almost won Schumacher his 8th world championship, was by far the dominant car in the second half of 2006 and laid the base for the championship winning cars of 2007 and 2008.

6. JB (@) said on 30th January 2013, 13:30

The F10 was by far the most beautiful one! Loved how that car looked in Bahrain!!

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 30th January 2013, 13:31

This time it’s just a part of a Ford…

8. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 30th January 2013, 14:17

I’ve heard they rejected Giancarlo Fisichella’s suggestion of F151.

Shame it’s always one car per year now – I liked it when a car was used for longer, and teams would have a new one on the way that would appear mid-season. (You could argue that some of these 2013 cars are just refinements of the 2012 ones). But I guess that requires testing.

9. supernicebob (@supernicebob) said on 30th January 2013, 14:31

I hope one day there’s a series of errors and Ferrari launch the F=RAND()*999

10. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 30th January 2013, 17:02

Here’s an enigma – the 2009 car was called the F60, to mark F1′s 60th year. What do Ferrari call THEIR 60th car? (next year)

11. Christopher (@twiinzspeed) said on 30th January 2013, 18:02

How about F606T. It would cover the Anniversary and the engine size with Turbo. That would pay homage to how they named the 312T2 form years ago.

12. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 30th January 2013, 18:19

Ya know I’d like a car with a name rather than a number……

13. mfDB (@mfdb) said on 31st January 2013, 15:14

Is that a straight nose with no duckbill!!!!

I like the name, it mirrors their road cars.

14. Fixy (@fixy) said on 31st January 2013, 21:44

@keithcollantine I’ve found several contrasting reports about the number of Ferrari F1 cars, where did you find the list you used which marks this year’s car as the 59th?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st January 2013, 23:57

@Fixy That was in Ferrari’s press release. I believe they were referring to cars which have competed in the world championship, so that will include the 1952/3 cars which were F2, not F1, for example. That could be part of the discrepancy.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 1st February 2013, 13:47

@keithcollantine thanks for the clarification. Wikipedia lists 58 F1 cars, and the 500 F2 is indeed missing from the list, so that could be the answer. Interestingly, though, the 246 F1-66 and the 312 F1 from 1966 are listed together, which could also mean that one of the two is the missing 59th car.
        Finally, the D50 was in fact a Lancia car, so that could be missing from Ferrari’s list and the previous two might be included. It’s definitely mysterious!
        On a side note, while I was making a list of the Ferrari cars I added the project name, so the F138 is the 664. Going back in time, when I reached 1991, 1990 and 1989, when Ferrari raced the 643 (F1-91B), 642 (F1-91), 641 (F1-90) and 640 (F1-89), I found that the project name of the 643 should be 642, that of the 642 should be 641 and so on. That would mean two of the following cars should be counted as a single project, like if one was an evolution so similar to the previous one that it didn’t count, and I don’t think in such recent times Ferrari would have done so. Any thoughts?