Lowe, who has been with the team since 1993, has been linked to a move to rivals Mercedes.
“The certainty is that Paddy will be part of the team for another year,” said team principal Martin Whitmarsh. “It’s less certain, I think as has been speculated in the media, beyond that. That’s something I’m sure we’ll have some certainty on in the near future.”
Asked why Lowe did not attend the launch of this year’s car, Whitmarsh said: “I think clearly there’s a lot of media interest. I think it’s good that Paddy concentrates on doing his job.
“I don’t think he wants to create any embarrassment to the team or any of his colleagues. So in his own election he felt it was inappropriate to be here.”
2013 F1 season
- Take F1 Fanatic’s new 2013 season quiz
- F1 Fanatic’s new year thanks and credits 2014
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2013 season review
- The drivers, teams and cars of 2013
- Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® McLaren/Hoch Zwei