Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

Ferrari F138, 2013

The Ferrari F138 has been launched by the team in Maranello.

Ferrari retain their driver line-up of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa for the fourth year in a row as it bids to taste championship success for the first time since 2008.

Team principal Stefano Domenicali described the car as an “evolution” of the car which the team raced in 2012 and said it represented the “first step” in the team’s development for this year.

The F138 was developed under the internal code name 664 and is the first product of the team’s technical reorganisation.

The car retains the pull-rod front and rear suspension used on last year’s car. According to the team the car’s bodywork has been redesigned to improve its aerodynamic performance – a key weakness of recent Ferraris.

The F138′s Kinetic Energy Recovery System has been revised and lightened. However Ferrari stressed they are keen to repeat the high levels of reliability they enjoyed with the F2012.

Ferrari F138 video

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

106 comments on Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

1. Wallbreaker (@wallbreaker) said on 1st February 2013, 9:18

I just fell in love.

2. Ankit said on 1st February 2013, 9:18

Dont like the nose cone. Looks like its been crashed already. The rounded edges do take away something from the overall design I feel. Otherwise good job with the livery. Hope its quick and not a dog.

3. Jonathon (@gambisk) said on 1st February 2013, 9:19

Yes Ferrari thank you for making a good looking car again,

Sincerely,
    Everyone who watched the 2012 release

4. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st February 2013, 9:21

The McLaren has just been beaten by the Ferrari. I think I’m in love! We wanted more black on the Ferrari and we got it.

5. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st February 2013, 9:24

James Allison has 0 out 2 so far.

6. moshbeard (@moshbeard) said on 1st February 2013, 9:26

Other than the nose and exhaust area this looks incredibly close to last years car. The livery changes are great, not my favourite Ferrari ever (I’d love to see a 2007-2009 style all red car again if they have the sponsors to allow it) but it’s a nice change.

7. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 1st February 2013, 9:26

The front shot (last image) looks sick! like a big opened mouth waiting to eat someone! Looks like they will have pretty good airflow from that…

8. andae23 (@andae23) said on 1st February 2013, 9:27

The nose looks very high: it seems like they have used the modesty panel to make the car even higher, as suggested by Scarbs. The front wing looks already like an evolution of the old wing with the 6 cascades. Pull rod suspension, like their old car and now McLaren’s car. Remarkably the sidepod inlets look the same as on the old car, though they could have decided to not show that on the launch car. They’ve also got the same exhaust as last year. At first glance, I would say that it looks much much slimmer than the old car at the rear.

Most significant change looks to be the rear wing. Apart from a revised DRS activation system, they cut the rear wing endplates into a multiple elements. I have never seen that before, nice!

• Scottie (@scottie) said on 1st February 2013, 10:16

Yeah the nose using the modesty panel was the first thing I saw, but also fascinated by their interpretation of the rear wing slots there. It makes sense, but since they had the slots on the section below there for a few seasons, wondering why it’s taken them this long to get up the sides… maybe they found a loop-hole finally to let them up the full length?

Nice car!

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 1st February 2013, 10:19

Just did a quick comparison with the old car: the sidepods shape is almost exactly the same as last year. I have to get back to the slimness of the rear: I’ve been tricked a little by that, that is also very similar to last year, maybe a tiny bit slimmer. All in all I would say I’m surprised about the level of detail on the front and rear wing and that looks very nice, but aerodynamically it is not that different from last year’s car.

9. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 1st February 2013, 9:27

Im not a big fan of it, I preferred last years nose and front end, it looked like a beast.

10. Giggsy11 (@giggsy11) said on 1st February 2013, 9:30

This is the best looking Ferrari in years, since 2001 in my opinion.

11. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2013, 9:32

That curve in the livery on the front wing support looks a bit awkward …

12. disjunto (@disjunto) said on 1st February 2013, 9:34

Didn’t think I’d be saying this after last year, but Ferrari is currently the best looking car for 2013, patiently waiting on all the other new cars to change that thought though

13. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 1st February 2013, 9:42

Its a minger! Sorry guys, no offence intended. It just doesn’t do it for me! Totally underwhelmed!

14. cdowding (@cdowding) said on 1st February 2013, 9:42

Of the three cars unveiled so far this has got to be the best looking and I like the fact that Ferrari have used the modesty panel. A massive improvement on last years car, here’s hoping that it can push Red Bull all the way and not just at the beginning of the season.

15. Calum (@calum) said on 1st February 2013, 9:47

Looks brilliant! Good job Ferrari.