Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

Ferrari F138, 2013

The Ferrari F138 has been launched by the team in Maranello.

Ferrari retain their driver line-up of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa for the fourth year in a row as it bids to taste championship success for the first time since 2008.

Team principal Stefano Domenicali described the car as an “evolution” of the car which the team raced in 2012 and said it represented the “first step” in the team’s development for this year.

The F138 was developed under the internal code name 664 and is the first product of the team’s technical reorganisation.

The car retains the pull-rod front and rear suspension used on last year’s car. According to the team the car’s bodywork has been redesigned to improve its aerodynamic performance – a key weakness of recent Ferraris.

The F138′s Kinetic Energy Recovery System has been revised and lightened. However Ferrari stressed they are keen to repeat the high levels of reliability they enjoyed with the F2012.

Ferrari F138 video

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

106 comments on Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

1. Oskar (@oskar) said on 1st February 2013, 9:49

cutter than lotus and mclaren! incredible!

2. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 1st February 2013, 9:51

My fave so far it looks fanatastic to me.

3. MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 1st February 2013, 9:52

Wow, that’s one sexy beast! I didn’t expect that.

4. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 1st February 2013, 9:53

Pains me to say it but.. What a beaut.

5. Ridwan said on 1st February 2013, 9:59

ONE WORD : AWESOME

6. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 1st February 2013, 10:00

I always thought the modesty panel was just gonna be a sloped piece that you could “bolt-on” over the step to make it look like no so much of a drop & more of a slope with the nosecone. To me this just looks like they’re using a thick (or tall or fat or whatever you want to call it) nose cone. IDK maybe I just interpreted what the the FIA meant by modesty panel.

Somebody mentioned about the curve of the white/black stripe on the front-wing supports, I think it’s done like that so when on-track (or not a static closeup picture) it looks as if those big pylons are skinny ones instead.

7. Sviatoslav Andrushko (@) said on 1st February 2013, 10:01

The very best!!! It’s the first time since 2008 when I like Ferrari car most. Presumably, it’s because they got rid of that ridiculous nose. I love it!

8. vuelve kowalsky said on 1st February 2013, 10:08

i hope alonso can win with this one. vettel must leave something for the rest. I am starting to feel like during the schumacher era. ****** off big time.

9. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st February 2013, 10:13

I’d agree with @prisonermonkeys and say the curve at the front looks a little awkward. It’s be awesome if it just carried on in a line! But the whole thing is growing on me the more and more I look at it. It’s actually quite hard getting used to straight noses again!

• The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 1st February 2013, 12:55

@electrolite and @prisoner-monkeys

I have to say that curve really lets down what is otherwise a very nice livery. It’s lazy livery design attempting to join the red front wing to the rest of the car, but it’s working to highlight and so clashes badly with the boxy angular nature of the leading edge of the front wing support, when it should be hiding it, making the red nose look pointed. If the supports were all black and the white line continued around the point of the nose (or just under) to join up with the other side, it would nicely hide the blunt nose side profile, then just paint a white line where the black support joins the red wing, and you’d have a fantastic looking paint job.

10. Liam Stroud (@comabvbsixx) said on 1st February 2013, 10:44

I love it.

Hopefully it’ll bring a lot of cheer for us this year!

11. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 1st February 2013, 10:47

I think a majority of the people like it because of the refreshing dark red livery and some patches of white … Me too …I like the looks and think its stunning …… but how about the speed ? think it will be fast ? any pundits ?

12. It’s absolutely superb from every angle, to be honest. I actually think Ferrari nailed it this year. I can only imagine Merc coming with something better looking than this, maybe. However that is an absolute monster of a front end there, on the F138…

I also love the livery. It makes me think of the AF Corse GT cars. There’s a certain (pure) racing pedigree coming with that.

I’d would pin this on my wall without even thinking about it.

13. Debjit said on 1st February 2013, 11:13

That black underneath the car gives it a shape it doesn’t have. I don’t know about others but that is one fine looking car. Maybe it’s because i m a die hard ferrari fan. Well, it remains to be seen whether it ll be fast. They haven’t done a lot of changes have they? It still looks like the last car from some angles. Notice the rear? Apparently no team is making dramatic changes. The Mclaren and the Lotus also look like last year’s car. Anyway, i am also waiting for the Red bull launch to see how much changes they ll make to their car.

14. taurus (@taurus) said on 1st February 2013, 11:35

I wish they would just write ‘Ferrari’ in big letters on the engine cover instead of that horrible faux- Marlboro badge thing

15. Nickpkr said on 1st February 2013, 11:35

I like it so much that order one !