Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

Ferrari F138, 2013

The Ferrari F138 has been launched by the team in Maranello.

Ferrari retain their driver line-up of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa for the fourth year in a row as it bids to taste championship success for the first time since 2008.

Team principal Stefano Domenicali described the car as an “evolution” of the car which the team raced in 2012 and said it represented the “first step” in the team’s development for this year.

The F138 was developed under the internal code name 664 and is the first product of the team’s technical reorganisation.

The car retains the pull-rod front and rear suspension used on last year’s car. According to the team the car’s bodywork has been redesigned to improve its aerodynamic performance – a key weakness of recent Ferraris.

The F138’s Kinetic Energy Recovery System has been revised and lightened. However Ferrari stressed they are keen to repeat the high levels of reliability they enjoyed with the F2012.

Ferrari F138 video

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

106 comments on Ferrari F138 launch – first pictures and video

1. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 1st February 2013, 10:47

I think a majority of the people like it because of the refreshing dark red livery and some patches of white … Me too …I like the looks and think its stunning …… but how about the speed ? think it will be fast ? any pundits ?

• Lucien_Todutz (@lucien_todutz) said on 1st February 2013, 10:52

well if it will be a dog, at least it’s pretty to look at :)… but yea, hope we can quote Button from last year and say: “It’s beauty and she’s fast!” :DDDDDDD

2. It’s absolutely superb from every angle, to be honest. I actually think Ferrari nailed it this year. I can only imagine Merc coming with something better looking than this, maybe. However that is an absolute monster of a front end there, on the F138…

I also love the livery. It makes me think of the AF Corse GT cars. There’s a certain (pure) racing pedigree coming with that.

I’d would pin this on my wall without even thinking about it.

3. Debjit said on 1st February 2013, 11:13

That black underneath the car gives it a shape it doesn’t have. I don’t know about others but that is one fine looking car. Maybe it’s because i m a die hard ferrari fan. Well, it remains to be seen whether it ll be fast. They haven’t done a lot of changes have they? It still looks like the last car from some angles. Notice the rear? Apparently no team is making dramatic changes. The Mclaren and the Lotus also look like last year’s car. Anyway, i am also waiting for the Red bull launch to see how much changes they ll make to their car.

4. taurus (@taurus) said on 1st February 2013, 11:35

I wish they would just write ‘Ferrari’ in big letters on the engine cover instead of that horrible faux- Marlboro badge thing

5. Nickpkr said on 1st February 2013, 11:35

I like it so much that order one !

6. Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 1st February 2013, 11:37

Absolutely beautiful. Best looking car so far.

7. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 1st February 2013, 11:51

wow those are some tight sidepods. Wonder if they really pushed cooling capacity to the utter minimum needed (even for F1 standards).

8. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 1st February 2013, 12:03

thankyou thankyou thankyou ferrari! for showing that the livery can have continuity from year to year without being exactly the same! (i.e mclaren) i do quite like this new livery, i do wish they would get rid of that horrible logo on the engine cover though, ive always hated that. Im in the minority when i say i quite like the way last year ferrari looked, the nose seems almost boring when compared to the f2012 but overall its a decent looking ferrari, it will look even better to me if it can win the title ;)

9. Tommy C (@tommy-c) said on 1st February 2013, 12:20

Very much looking forward to seeing this one hit the track! F1 cars are pretty again! Yay!

10. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 1st February 2013, 12:59

Beautiful looking car. I especially like the use of red on the front wing. I also really like the chunky look of the nose and front wing pillars. Hopefully it’s as fast as it is beautiful.

11. Michael Brown (@) said on 1st February 2013, 13:46

Awesome livery

12. DM0407 (@dm0407) said on 1st February 2013, 14:29

I’m sure its been said, but didn’t Ferrari last win the Championship in 07 and not 08?

13. Maciek (@maciek) said on 1st February 2013, 14:32

Bit busy for a Ferrari, but it makes a good looking car. The modesty panels now only reinforce for me just how unnatural the stepped noses looked on racing cars.

14. Christopher (@twiinzspeed) said on 1st February 2013, 15:57

I know I’m biased, but the car looks great! The nose seems higher and the rear is tighter. I like the livery with the white stripe on the sides. The front view looks really mean. Many people are saying the car looks alot like last year, but remember, it finished 2 and 3 in the last race. If they keep all the good things from 2012 and improve the aero, this car has plenty of potential to bring Alonso #3 and Ferrari another Constructors title. If Felipe is on form like he was in Brazil, Ferrari will be hard to beat. 2013 is looking like an exciting year already. :)
    IMO Maclaren will drop a little with the loss of Hamilton. Mercedes will move up with said Hamilton. Lotus may improve now that Kimi is full tilt at the beginning of the season. And it looks as though it will be RBR vs Ferrari and or 1 of the other 3 mentioned. I can’t wait…….

15. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st February 2013, 16:14

I really wish I still had photoshop, but this is roughly what I would have done instead of the curve!

16. zenmaster said on 1st February 2013, 16:34

zen master says that come australia 2013 and redbull will be p1 ,maclaren p2…ferrari will be third or fouth best…mark the words of zen master…that ferrari is a dud

17. charles (@charles) said on 1st February 2013, 16:35

damn the new ferrari looks sexy
    and fast

18. luchingador said on 1st February 2013, 16:58

as i was expecting AMD logo is gone… shame, GOOD LUCK AMD!!

19. Fixy (@fixy) said on 1st February 2013, 17:44

I don’t like how these cars have a nose which is at the same height as the cockpit rather than going downwards, but it’s still an ernormous improvement over last season.
    I like how the livery is darker, with a red which is more pinkish than orange, and I like the front and rear wings which look more similar to the beautiful 2007-09 liveries. The extra black is not bad but the white looks strange, and although the colour itself fits well it looks out of place.
    I like the fact that in these two years the cars are nearly identical to their predecessors, it makes me feel like we have reached the maximum performance possible and there is nearly nothing to improve!

20. Michael Brown (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 1:06

So this is Ferrari’s 59th F1 car. Why is this, for a team that competed in F1 since 1950?

• Wallbreaker (@wallbreaker) said on 2nd February 2013, 1:41

In the very early stages of Formula 1 history teams used to give their drivers the same car for several seasons, they didn’t release a new car every year like nowadays.