Sauber C32 launch: First pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

The Sauber C32 has been revealed by the team at its base in Hinwil, Switzerland.

The team aim to build on a successful 2012 season which included four podium finishes. But they have an all-new driver line-up to get used to with Nico Hulkenberg arriving from Force India to partner their former reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez.

“We have very high expectations of them and they know that,” said team principal Monisha Kaltenborn prior to the car’s launch.

Sauber C32, 2013“We put some good foundations in place last year. And now we want to build on that base and continue to improve as a team,” Kaltenborn added.

She played down suggestions that the team were aiming to break into the top five in 2013: “We?re not saying we want to finish in this or that position in the standings, as ultimately other factors will also come into play that are outside our control. What we can be clear about, however, is that we want to continue on our upward curve.”

Kaltenborn is starting her first full season as team principal, a position she inherited from Peter Sauber last year.

“On the one hand, not that much has changed for me since I took on the role, because I was already involved in a lot of things beforehand ?ǣ like the team principal meetings, which I?ve been attending for some time already.

“On the other hand, it is still something special because now all the responsibility rests on my shoulders. And that creates a certain extra pressure, of course.”

Chief designer Matt Morris said the C32’s predecessor was an “extremely competitive car” and the new car aimed to “eliminate its few weaknesses”.

“Over the course of last season we invested a lot of time and energy in developing a better understanding of our car. To this end, we focused primarily on the aerodynamic effects around the rear of the car.

“Our aero experts have done some great work in this respect, the basis of which has been used to develop the C32.”

More pictures of the drivers’ helmets can be found in their updated biographies:

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Sauber

131 comments on Sauber C32 launch: First pictures and video

1. Troy Longstaff (@troylongstaff) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:23

I thought Ferrari’s new car couldn’t be beaten in the looks department, I think Sauber shoots past the Italians! Great looking car

• Debjit said on 2nd February 2013, 11:29

I agree… It is one of the sharpest looking ones too. Looks really quick..

• Personally I’m not a huge fan of the new Ferrari: the front wing pillars are too thick and have that weird 45° angle towards the top, the double air intake gives the effect of a hunchback and the rear looks too busy. It’s got a good nose job though!

• William Brierty said on 2nd February 2013, 13:24

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think you eyes may need a test if don’t think the F138 is beautiful! Haven’t you seen that undulating white strip on the side?

• Mads (@mads) said on 2nd February 2013, 14:18

I agree that the white stripe down the sides looks very good, but I am with @vettel1 on this one. The shape of the car isn’t very pretty.

• GongTong (@gongtong) said on 2nd February 2013, 15:15

I haven’t found any of the other cars to be very pretty compared to their 2012 counterparts.

The Ferrari especially is sporting numerous bulges and generally looks scruffy. The Sauber is the first improvement over last year’s offering in looks. And the livery only makes it better.

I just hope Williams have another beauty for us, although their pace hasn’t been where I’d like the last few years, I do think they’ve produced the most attractive package since at least ’09. I guess you can call me biased though.

• William Brierty said on 2nd February 2013, 16:35

So by getting rid of a nose that looks as if it has been sat on by Johnny Vegas, Ferrari haven’t improved the look of their car? Insanity. Ferrari have created the complete visual expression of aggression with the fantastic glaring front end, the muscular rear end and the tapered rear wing end plate. Its just covered in things that make you go “Wow!”. In fact the only 2013 car I have been underwhelmed by is the VJ06, with Force India seemingly only able to afford to install a vanity panel – and am also not a fan of the new redness of the Lotus, still a great looking car though.

• I think perhaps @gongtong has exaggerated a bit too much but nonetheless I think the only improvement from the F138 over the F2012 (which has regularly been cited as the worst looking Ferrari in a long time, perhaps ever) is getting rid of that awful step. Apart from that though it has carried many of the aesthetics of the F2012 – not exactly a recipe from the gods of design.

I think the F138 is comparable to Ed Milliband: no matter what you do to his nose it isn’t going to make him look like Brad Pitt. If his nose is fixed though people are going to rave about it because it is undoubtably a major improvent, but really it’s like saying you’ve made a brilliant car because it no longer explodes when you turn the key.

• GongTong (@gongtong) said on 2nd February 2013, 17:10

I don’t think I exaggerated at all. I think I was quite controlled in my criticism despite temptations…

Muscular is a funny term, William. To me they look more like Hernias =P

• @gongton – I think it would be very difficult for anything to look worse than the F2012! I could understand the E21 (as it is virtually the same as the E20 but with red which in my opinion makes it worse), I could also understand the McLaren as the MP4-27 launch spec was quite spectacular but I’d say the Force India is an improvent for sure, along with the Ferrari (although as I have explained above that does not mean I like the look of it).

So

I feel is exaggerating a touch but of course this topic is subject to opinion!

• *@gongtong that should say.

• GongTong (@gongtong) said on 3rd February 2013, 10:51

Ah, now I see the problem.

I think really what I meant to say was “I haven’t found any of the other cars to be very pretty EVEN compared to their 2012 counterparts.”

Which is particularly impressive for the Ferrari =P

2. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:27

Strange nose, is it really a step in the middle?

• Ivano (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:32

Not from the side. It’s a cleaner version of Red Bull’s intake.

So I guess Lotus is the only one with a step so far.

3. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:27

Just had a crisis… Ooooh, yes! Best looking car yet!

4. William Brierty said on 2nd February 2013, 11:28

I love the way the old Swiss guy kept going on about the “zidepods! Vhere are ze zidepods!” Joking aside it is a beautiful car, but not in a remotely innovative way, like Ferrari with that intoxicating white stripe. It simply looks like what you’d expect an F1 car to look like – conventional, yawn.

5. Ivano (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:29

It’s nice, but still feel McLaren and Ferrari are neater and more professional in looks.
    All this car has is a couple of white stripes zipping along, and some odd red.

6. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:33

I have a feeling this will be a very quick car. Not quite as quick as the top 4 perhaps, but could well continue its path of derailing Mercedes…in Hulkenberg’s hands anyway.

7. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:33

Shwing

8. jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:37

Best looking F1 car for about 6 years. Love it.

9. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:41

as soon as i saw it i thought of the 2010 HRT, but despite that i think it looks great, im not convinced that the colour will look as good under sunlight as it does under the fancy lighting in these pictures though.

10. ltsh (@ltsh) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:45

So far iv been really impressed with how all the cars look and I’m hoping it stays that way especially Mercedes

11. Ivano (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:46

With the exception of Lotus, they all seem to have the same exhaust.

12. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:47

I’d have to agree it is very HRT but i DO like it..!
    Always had a bit of a soft spot for this team :)

Those side pods are either really narrow or the ‘fins’ are way out there..

13. robfff said on 2nd February 2013, 11:48

Too many silvery-glossed cars on the grid now.

14. Santo Carmina (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 11:52

I think this and the Lotus are the best looking cars, Ferrari’s close too. I’m looking forward to seeing the new Mercedes too, Red Bull’s generally look similar every year.

15. maxthecat said on 2nd February 2013, 11:55

Best looking car yet, looks like a race winner.