Sauber C32 launch: First pictures and video

2013 F1 cars

The Sauber C32 has been revealed by the team at its base in Hinwil, Switzerland.

The team aim to build on a successful 2012 season which included four podium finishes. But they have an all-new driver line-up to get used to with Nico Hulkenberg arriving from Force India to partner their former reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez.

“We have very high expectations of them and they know that,” said team principal Monisha Kaltenborn prior to the car’s launch.

Sauber C32, 2013“We put some good foundations in place last year. And now we want to build on that base and continue to improve as a team,” Kaltenborn added.

She played down suggestions that the team were aiming to break into the top five in 2013: “We?re not saying we want to finish in this or that position in the standings, as ultimately other factors will also come into play that are outside our control. What we can be clear about, however, is that we want to continue on our upward curve.”

Kaltenborn is starting her first full season as team principal, a position she inherited from Peter Sauber last year.

“On the one hand, not that much has changed for me since I took on the role, because I was already involved in a lot of things beforehand ?ǣ like the team principal meetings, which I?ve been attending for some time already.

“On the other hand, it is still something special because now all the responsibility rests on my shoulders. And that creates a certain extra pressure, of course.”

Chief designer Matt Morris said the C32′s predecessor was an “extremely competitive car” and the new car aimed to “eliminate its few weaknesses”.

“Over the course of last season we invested a lot of time and energy in developing a better understanding of our car. To this end, we focused primarily on the aerodynamic effects around the rear of the car.

“Our aero experts have done some great work in this respect, the basis of which has been used to develop the C32.”

More pictures of the drivers’ helmets can be found in their updated biographies:

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Sauber

131 comments on Sauber C32 launch: First pictures and video

1. andae23 (@andae23) said on 2nd February 2013, 12:00

Apart from that it looks AWESOME,

Sauber apparently couldn’t make up its mind regarding modesty panel and stepped nose, so they did both. According to Scarbs, there is a slot in the nose cone similar to last year’s, but I haven’t spotted that one yet. The sidepods have changed significantly: it’s much, much slimmer, which was a result of repackaging. They have given up their previous exhaust lay-out and came up with a solution that is similar to McLaren’s, Force India’s and Ferrari’s. Also there are some clues that they might try the DRD!

2. geekracer2000 (@geekracer2000) said on 2nd February 2013, 12:02

wowsers that looks incredible

3. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 2nd February 2013, 12:18

What a slick looking car. I must say the livery looks better than any ive seen on their car over the past few years. Interestingly, no team has given really good shots of the rear of the car yet. I don’t remember seeing any on McLaren and FI atleast. With the rules being more or less similar, I cant make out any appreciable changes on any teams car. Exhaust oriented season in the offering maybe?

4. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 2nd February 2013, 12:32

I think it looks brilliant.

Magnificent, even…

5. Chainsaw (@chainsaw) said on 2nd February 2013, 12:41

Where is the CHELSEA logo gone?

6. Holy Hellfire, thats a seriously good looking car.

7. I liked the Sauber colours of majority white with some black…especially the 2011 car. So I’m not a big fan of this livery. But if goes like a rocket, then who cares.

It does have a little of that 1993/1994 colour Sauber livery about it.

Anyway I hope this team gives the F1 order the biggest shake-up.

8. Jem (@osella) said on 2nd February 2013, 13:45

If I squint I can imagine Hulkenberg is driving a McLaren!

9. Breno said on 2nd February 2013, 13:50

The Sauber is gray, McLaren is silver chrome, and Mercedes is silver color, all colors are derived and beautiful too, but I think it is very similar visually.

10. taurus (@taurus) said on 2nd February 2013, 13:56

Reminds me of the 1991 Fondmetal!

I reckon Hulkenberg will win a race this year. Just a hunch.

11. JB (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 14:06

It´s a very good looking car! Much better looking than last year´s, livery wise. The side pods look small but the opening is huge!

12. Mads (@mads) said on 2nd February 2013, 14:20

Overall I think the car looks brilliant. The sidepods are gorgeous. The back end is wonderful, the livery I think is good and looks very classic. But the step in the nose is still not great.

13. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 2nd February 2013, 15:44

Ron Dennis must be pulling his hair out: ‘matching tyres, why did we use those yellow softs at the launch?’

14. Highstoned (@highstoned) said on 2nd February 2013, 16:03

Best looking car of those that has been revealed!

15. Ivano (@) said on 2nd February 2013, 16:08

I’m still surprised that cars with engines supplied by Ferrari, still don’t advertise Ferrari on them like Mercedes and Renualt.