Toro Rosso STR8 launch: First pictures

2013 F1 cars

The Toro Rosso STR8 is ready for the start of testing ahead of the 2013 season.

The STR8 is the first car designed by the team’s new technical department heads James Key and Luca Furbatto.

Team principal Franz Tost says he expects the team to finish sixth in the constructors’ championship this year.

Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne remain to drive the latest car from Red Bull’s junior team, who ended last year in ninth place.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic

57 comments on Toro Rosso STR8 launch: First pictures

1. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 4th February 2013, 16:46

I love their new livery, it’s so original and different…

2. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 4th February 2013, 16:47

the nose looks so sharp…..meant to pierce other’s gearboxes :p

• Jon (@patomilan) said on 4th February 2013, 17:13

It looks really odd…
      From the side it looks pretty good but from the front it looks horrible, very wide and flat. Despite the lowered noses since the beginning of last year the noses still seem very tall and because they’re so wide it makes it look even worse. When they announced they were going to lower the noses back in 2011 I was excited as I was expecting cars with properly low noses, like in 2008, sloping low noses. And with that came the thought that they would be narrow as well, however with teams trying to maximise airflow under the car, noses have looked appalling not to mention the stepped ones…

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 4th February 2013, 17:27

Thank god Maldonado is not driving a Toro Rosso this year ;)

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th February 2013, 6:58

@malleshmagdum Best looking one so far I reckon.

3. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 4th February 2013, 16:48

Nice looking car but I couldn’t be more bored of that livery now.. Come on STR, give us something new!

4. wsrgo said on 4th February 2013, 16:48

I’d be surprised if they bring that to the races…

5. olpeculier (@olpeculier) said on 4th February 2013, 16:55

First thought was “at least we’ll be able to tell the difference between RBR and STR this year”

6. davidb said on 4th February 2013, 16:59

yawnworthy. come on f1 be like thr 90s again and give us new liveries every year

7. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 4th February 2013, 17:00

The nose looks quite interesting, with a steep drop off.

• the-muffin-man (@the-muffin-man) said on 4th February 2013, 17:22

Aye – certainly looks very high.
      They may be exploiting the ‘vanity panel’ loophole as predicted by scarbs?…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th February 2013, 8:00

looks like the vanity panel ends about 8 cm before the nose tip, if you look at the pictures, you can see its edges all around, not seamless like Ferrari, Mercedes and McLaren for example

8. I think it’s ironic that Red Bull has Infiniti splashed all over the side of it and Toro Rosso has Red Bull…
    We’ll be able to tell them apart, but it may get a bit confusing!

9. Gareth (@gazz1989) said on 4th February 2013, 17:05

Well lets hope they can do more than just go str8

10. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 4th February 2013, 17:22

Team principal Franz Tost says he expect the team to finish sixth in the constructors’ championship this year.

To set your goals high is good, but to expect sixth place sounds a little unrealistic to me. Or have they already worked miracles in the design office this winter?

Btw, there’s a typo at expects.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 4th February 2013, 17:36

To me it seems singularly unambitious to be aiming for 6th. place, especially from a team so closely connected to the #1 team.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 5th February 2013, 3:19

They’re a proving ground for Webber’s seat and not much more.

Red Bull certainly don’t pour anywhere near the resources into the team, although I read in an interview with James Key that he was surprised how relatively large and well equipped the aero department was, the difficulty was how the different departments were run and their communication with each was also a problem. In any case this is still a small Italian-based team. Middle of the pack is aspirational let alone getting close to Red Bull.

• To set your goals high is good, but to expect sixth place sounds a little unrealistic to me.

Spot on. I know I laughed when I read that bit from Franz Tost. The regulations haven’t changed much since last year and the car is probably an evolution of their 2012 effort, in a way. That means an evolution of the car that struggled to beat the Caterhams in a couple of races, for god’s sake. How big of a contribution should Key have in order for Torro Rosso to leap ahead of Sauber, Force India and Williams in less than one year? To me it just sounds a bit unrealistic… Sure, they might be able to mix it up a little with the midfield every other race but that’s it…

• the car is probably an evolution of their 2012 effort

James Key said in an interview yesterday that 97% of the components have changed.

• @tdog – That doesn’t necessarily mean all of those parts are brand new / newly developed ones. A high percentage of them might still be largely based on the 2012 specs with just a few tweaks here and there.

I don’t want to contradict Key on this matter as I’ve missed the interview and I’m sure he’s much more qualified than I am to talk about the car he built, but I still find it hard to believe any team on the grid will have a car modified in such a high proportion compared to what they ran last year…

And even if…I still find it hard to believe Torro Rosso has what it takes to be the first runner-up behind 5 teams that are lining up a world champion each.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th February 2013, 8:03

I see it the same as Perez going for winning the WDC this year. The moment you stop being ambitious in sports, you can just as well stay home.

Sure, 6th is not going to be easy, but if they want the drivers to show Red Bull potential and have given them a car that is in the mix for solid points, its exactly what they should do – try and get it on the podium at least once and score double digit points regularly.

11. Dizzy said on 4th February 2013, 17:25

Regarding the livery, Liverys only ever really change because of changes to sponsor or manufacturer deals or something similar, Its always been that way.

Neither Red Bull or STR are ever going to suddenly change there livery massively because there both using the Red Bull brand colors. Only way they will ever change is if Red Bull the brand suddenly opt for a totally different brand look.

I think Lotus should copy the Dragon Racing Indycar team & use actual Gold rather than Beige-
    I adored that livery, Just a shame the Lotus Indycar engine’s were as bad as they were resulting in Dragon racing switching to Chevrolet & ditching that livery :(

12. Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 4th February 2013, 18:05

Has anyone ever wondered why they put Red Bull on their livery instead of Toro Rosso? I often get confused which team I’m watching on tv. The colours are so similar that the only way I can tell is by the ones that are in the mid-back field. And it seems reading the comments, I’m not the only one.

• Deepak (@ideepak) said on 4th February 2013, 18:31

@paulocreed

If I am not mistaken it doesn’t really make a difference. Isn’t Red Bull, when translated into Italian, Toro Rosso ?

• Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 4th February 2013, 18:39

Yes that is the translation. But wouldn’t it be easier to notice a Toro Rosso if the livery said Toro Rosso in place of Red Bull, so that the viewer would not be confused with the Red Bull Team? That’s the only point I’m trying to make.

• Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 4th February 2013, 19:24

its because therz no brand named Toro Rosso. U can buy a Red Bull drink in the shop, not at Toro Rosso. They named the team Toro Rosso as a marketing strategy

13. Deepak (@ideepak) said on 4th February 2013, 18:25

Was that nose cone made by Hattori Hanzo from the Kill Bill movie franchise ?

It looks as sharp as a samurai sword. Very ideal for tire puncturing opponents! Maybe the Toro Rossos can bulldoze the field for Seb and Webber ?

14. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 4th February 2013, 18:29

Well it is in my opinion the best looking car shown so far but I have a feeling it will fail to impress performance wise.

• aceventura said on 4th February 2013, 20:13

+1, I think the nose looks gorgeous and they have really exploited the vanity panel, but I agree with some and think that that nose would look like a razor blade with the vanity panel off.

It is really also really strange that they have changed the heads of their technical team yet have still managed to design a car with undercut side pods, whoever is responsible for designing those side pods could probably sell tea to China, cause year after year they appear on the car and it is never very quick!

15. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 4th February 2013, 19:35

Thinking away from this precise subject, but what would happen if Torro Rosso were regularly threatening to beat the Red Bull cars? I know that Vettel won once for TR, but supposing TR was having a genuine affect on the chances of a RB Championship win.
    Would Marko or Matteschitz (sic) tell them to turn the wick down or do you think the two teams would actually be allowed to compete?

• Drop Valencia! said on 4th February 2013, 23:35

I’m sure M would allow it, marketing GOLD!

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 5th February 2013, 3:22

Toro Rosso beat them fair and square in 2008, but there’s a lot of water under the bridge since then. Considering how well funded Red Bull are it’s unlikely to happen, but if it did who knows? Maybe Vettel would jump back into his old seat!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th February 2013, 8:05

I think the moment that happens, Red Bull will have found the replacement not just for Webber or even Vettel but Adrian Newey as well and will be very happy indeed!