Caterham CT03 launch: First pictures

2013 F1 cars

Caterham CT03, 2013

The Caterham CT02 has made its first appearance in time for the start of testing.

Technical director Mark Smith said the car is “an evolution of CT01 rather than a complete re-design, allowing us to focus our resources on developing areas of last year?s package where opportunities would give us the greatest return, whilst also beginning work on the 2014 package”.

Smith added the car will remain in the same configuration for the first race in Australia. New front and rear wings and a new diffuser will be added “soon after the start of the season”.

Among the changes to this year’s car are more deeply undercut sidepods. “The diffuser, engine cover and cooling exits have also seen major changes,” adds Smith, “and there are more subtle improvements to other areas of the car, such as the sidepod turning vanes and the lower tea-tray area”.

This is the first car the team have produced since the arrival of new team principal Cyril Abiteboul. “I am very pleased that we have been able to allocate our resources and budgets as efficiently as possible to produce a car that will allow us to consolidate our position in Formula One whilst also starting work on the 2014 car as early as possible,” he said.

“From the outside, the most obvious change to CT03 car is the livery. Whilst retaining the green and yellow paint scheme that has become synonymous with our team since 2010, we have refreshed both colours to enhance their visibility on track and give them what will be, we believe, one of the best looking liveries in the pit lne.”

Caterham have a new driver pairing of Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde. They finished 11th in the last race in Brazil and need to go one better to get their first F1 points on the board.

The CT03 follows the CT01, last year’s F1 car, and the CT02, which is the company’s road car project with Renault.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

77 comments on Caterham CT03 launch: First pictures

1. Adam B (@lurker) said on 5th February 2013, 8:52

It looks like they painted this car using the contents of a sick goat’s pancreas. Yuck. I really hope its either super fast or ridiculously unreliable. Anything to get it off the track, and my screen, sooner.

2. Todfod (@todfod) said on 5th February 2013, 8:57

Great colour and livery combination, but super ugly stepped nose.

I think in the battle of the backmarkers, Marussia is the better looking car. On track however, I would be surprised if Caterham were slower than Marussia

3. Nick (@npf1) said on 5th February 2013, 9:00

Don’t mind the livery too much, I’ll settle for most liveries, given they change a bit each year. I do have to say I’m glad they didn’t go 90s backmarker on us and added blue to their livery for the McGregor logos.

I’m not expecting much from them and while I’m not sure they’ll lose 10th to Marussia (I don’t think much of Chilton, but Razia is pretty decent, while both Pic and v/d Garde could do decent as well), I wouldn’t bet any money on points or closing the gap to Toro Rosso this year.

4. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 5th February 2013, 9:28

looks a lot like a toy car!

5. Gty (@gtygty) said on 5th February 2013, 9:30

Love the livery! Classic 1990s era looking paint job.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th February 2013, 10:05

Caterham have no plans for a modesty plate.

7. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 5th February 2013, 10:26

I’ve heard a lot about other teams complimenting Caterham on their livery, guess that ends this year.

8. Dave (@dworsley) said on 5th February 2013, 10:32

Oh dear.

9. Maciek (@maciek) said on 5th February 2013, 12:10

The shade of green might be nice, but that’s small consolation, cause this car is a whole bunch of ugly. The long step nose – ugh, there goes my breakfast. The team’s livery design has steadily gotten worse with each year. Used to be a fan, but now: no Heikki, no pretty, no nuthin’.

10. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 5th February 2013, 12:24

the livery seems quite popular amongst a lot of people but im really not keen…simply because i feel like its their worst livery yet. No doubt the ugliest car on the grid..but its speed that matters.

11. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 5th February 2013, 12:33

“Caterham CT03 CT02 Launch”

12. OG Kush (@ogkush7) said on 5th February 2013, 13:08

I like the car and the new sponsors. Hope they can move up the grid a bit.

When I first saw it, the below image came to mind :)

13. I love the pope said on 5th February 2013, 13:10

When did John Deere join F1?

14. James (@jaymz) said on 5th February 2013, 13:13

I really like it. I have a soft spot for Caterham. The car certainly looks the part, but it looked pretty cool last year and they were still fighting with Marusia :(