Sky to show final pre-season test in 3D

2013 F1 season

Paul di Resta, Daniel Ricciardo, Jerez, 2013Sky have announced they will show the final pre-season test of 2013 live and in 3D.

Footage from the four-day test at the Circuit de Catalunya from February 28th to March 3rd will be broadcast from 2pm on the Sky 3D and Sky Sports F1 channels. Coverage on the final day will start at 1pm.

The coverage will be presented by Simon Lazenby with commentary from David Croft. It will also be shown in HD for those without 3D televisions.

Sky’s director of 3D John Cassy said: ??It?s proved a huge success with other sports, and now for the first time ever, 3D will bring TV viewers a new perspective on Formula 1.

Sky F1 commentator Martin Brundle said: “3D will show us the real challenges of the race track with added depth and perspective. It will be a new, immersive experience for viewers and I can?t wait to see what F1 action in 3D will reveal.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

45 comments on Sky to show final pre-season test in 3D

1. Oskar (@oskar) said on 6th February 2013, 12:37

any chance to watch this outside UK?

2. GT_Racer said on 6th February 2013, 13:03

Something I’d just like to point out is that this isn’t something been done by FOM & that FOM will have no involvement in it.

This is sky taking there own equipment & staff to cover the test themselves & there live broadcast will not be available to any other broadcaster.

There won’t be any in-car cameras, Depending on what system TSL use at the test’s there may not be any live on-screen timing graphics & the coverage is unlikely to be anywhere near as comprehensive as what you get during a race weekend.

As for FOM, As I said in an earlier post they have already done there own 3D trials & were not impressed so don’t expect FOM to take the race coverage 3D anytime soon.

Final point, 3D cameras take a lot longer to setup & ensuring you get the 3D effect requires specific camera locations for 3D & a specific way of operating the cameras (In terms of panning/zooming). This is why 3D is harder to do for live events, especially fast paced sporting events like F1.

Based on my experiences with 3D & everything i’ve seen/heard from motorsport broadcasters who have tried 3D already, I expect this to be a 1 time thing which sky won’t do again. It may be a bit of a novelty for the 3D viewers but again since i don’t expect it to work I think most will end up switching over to the standard HD coverage.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th February 2013, 13:15

I’m having a mixed reaction to this.

On the one hand, I think it’s a good idea, because it’s Formula 1 embracing new technology. Reading between the lines a bit, I gather that this is really an experiment in using the 3D broadcast format with a view to assessing its feasibility in broadcasting races. FOM were particularly slow to jump on the HD bandwagon, and with the negative reaction to the joint Sky-BBC broadcast deal, making the same mistake twice an missing the 3D boat isn’t going to do them any favours (it won’t make up for the joint deal, but it won’t hurt, either).

At the same time, I have long believed that testing should be the business of the teams, and the teams alone. I still follow it, mostly for the photos of the cars in action and to follow the development of the cars, but I feel that there is nothing more frustrating than people reading far too much into lap times. Jenson Button ended the first day of the winter testing period with a very good time, and already I’ve heard choruses tipping him for the World Drivers’ Championship. The driver transfer market is often referred to as a “silly season”, but I like to call the winter tests the “sillier season”. I can’t help but feel that broadcasting a test day is only going to exaggerate this trend. In the worst-case scenario, I’m afraid that smaller teams like Marussia and Caterham will either ignore or cut short their testing programmes for the sake of looking good in front of the cameras by setting fast lap times, which is only going to compromise their seasons. I remember someone once suggested broadcasting test sessions and awarding points to the fastest teams, which to my mind is a recipe for disaster – and broadcasting the test is one step closer towards that.

Besides, testing is boring. If you watch Ted Kravitz’s Jerez Notebook, you’ll see that most of the teams keep their cars hidden from view, and no-one except them knows what they are really doing. So I imagine that the Sky broadcast will just be four hours of David Croft recounting everything that has happened over the past eleven and a half days of testing.

4. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 6th February 2013, 13:30

Martin Brundle never said that. Complete PR bullshot. Although he did used to be a car salesman.

That’s dead on about testing being boring – it’s like the dullest-ever Friday practice session with added red flags. It’s good as a cheap way to go and see (and hear) F1 cars in their natural habitat. But it won’t make great telly. Particularly with the commentator reminding viewers it’s in 3D (and HD, and Dolby whatever) every two or three minutes. A good way for them to try the technology with motorsport.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th February 2013, 13:51

I’ll be at work D: Nice touch, though.

6. maxthecat said on 6th February 2013, 13:59

Should be great. F1 races will never be fully broadcast in 3D though, the cost per track would be too much. Sky are at least bringing something to the sport but they’ll have an uphill struggle to do too much. I remember it took FOM until mid 2000’s to even broadcast in widescreen!

7. SPIDERman (@spiderman) said on 6th February 2013, 18:53

i hope am not missing something..but let me ask does it mean those with no 3D capable HD tv will not be able to watch this test? or wil SKY transmit both 3D and normal HD broadcasts for this test?
    anyway me thinks sky being a heavily commercial driven entity is just trying to boost sales by blasting out adverts while selling/hoping to get more customers onto their platform.

8. Peter_GH said on 6th February 2013, 20:19

While its good to get some coverage of the test, My concern is that the coverage will be tailored for the 3d so that those without in hd end up watching a sub-par broadcast.

i say this as i now that 3d tends to require very specific camera locations & the cameras need to be operated a different way to ensure that the 3d effect works. this is why the 3d coverage of football uses different cameras/locations to the standard hd broadcast, same was true at wimbledon last year.

9. skipgamer (@skipgamer) said on 7th February 2013, 4:34

I can’t imagine the 60fps 3d cameras being able to capture good results for fast-moving shots such as the scenery from the in-car camera, or low-fov shots following a car. Worth a try though, I’m sure they’ll be some shots that are just spectacular in 3d.