Hamilton not impressed by Red Bull pace

2013 F1 season

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Jerez, 2013Lewis Hamilton said he was not concerned by the pace shown by Red Bull so far on the final day of testing.

Sebastian Vettel set a time of 1’18.565 on hard tyres in the first half of the final day of testing but Hamilton wasn’t concerned by the show of pace from the RB9:

“18.5, yeah, I don’t know how the hards behave but over the last couple of days people seem to get a decent time out of the hards. Yeah, I mean the Red Bull’s always quick so it’s not a surprise, it doesn’t impress me at all.”

He said Mercedes were unsure where they stood compared to the rest of the field at the moment:

“I’ve asked the guys to try and predict it but they don’t know. We don’t know what fuel loads people are on so it would be just a guess.”

Hamilton completed 59 laps on the morning of his second day in the Mercedes. He lost most of his first day of running on Wednesday after a brake failure caused a high-speed crash.

“It’s much, much better than what we started with,” he said. “The car’s obviously been capable of that we’ve just had a couple of issues.”

“I feel like the mileage, of course it will count,” he added. “Because by the time we get to the end someone’s done 5,000 kilometres or whatever it is and we would have done four or something like that.

“But we’re catching up. Nico did 150 laps yesterday so he already caught kind of a day back up with people doing 80 laps, something like that.

“We’re probably not going to be able to get to 150 laps today because Nico had already done close to 100 by now. But we’ll still try and get as much time in as possible.”

Hamilton spoke to media at Jerez while the final day of testing was red-flagged when a hole appeared in one of the kerbs. Hamilton said the delay, which lasted almost an hour, didn’t affect him:

“It works out well because i just had lunch,” he said. “The guys are working on changing some things on the car so we just shifted our lunch earlier.

“I didn’t even see what was on I heard it was a manhole or something on the track. It wasn’t an issue for me while I was out there but as long as they fix it and we get out hopefully quite soon.”

He said Mercedes are “at the level we hoped we’re at” with the W04. “I couldn’t really ask for more.”

“The guys have done a great job to add downforce to the car and understand where they’ve been and take the car in the direction they really wanted to go.”

However he added he needed more running to give them team the direction they need: “I wouldn’t say I was clear, no. With time and more testing I think I’ll become more clear.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

44 comments on Hamilton not impressed by Red Bull pace

1. dennis (@dennis) said on 8th February 2013, 13:07

Does everything that Lewis says deserve an own post?

2. Candice said on 8th February 2013, 13:08

if team going to follow his direction, what about Rosberg?? =P

Is this what we called no.1 status??

3. Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 8th February 2013, 13:25

If you read the article, he said “Yeah, I mean the Red Bull’s always quick so it’s not a surprise, it doesn’t impress me at all.” After all, RB being one of the quickest or the quickest is hardly impressive at this point. Being slow, on the other hand, well that would shock us all…

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 8th February 2013, 13:29

Typical way to take somebody’s words and to set them in a way it was not intended.
    Back in the early 90s, it was really surprising when car laps differ from one team to another in more than 2 seconds sometimes. That was impressive

5. Ryan Carter said on 8th February 2013, 14:18

Hamilton is a very love or hate driver, either everyone kisses the ground he walks on or hates his guts. I’m sure he had a go at Red Bull the start of last season too, he can say what he wants, the mind games might get him closer to being on Red Bull’s level. I know this comment is going to get so much hate from Hamilton fans but I don’t care, when Hamilton has a poor season fighting for zero championships the rest of us will have the last laugh.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 8th February 2013, 22:13

That wasn’t the point to his comment, you took it the wrong way obviously. He is saying he’s not impressed with it, becasue he expected the current WDC & WCC holder to be fast from the start. It is not a swipe or anything at RBR, but rather you seem to want to gain an argument over it.

6. JB (@) said on 8th February 2013, 14:19

I´m liking this guy more and more as time goes by. He seems to take a whack at RBR every time he gets a chance! hhahha
    I think This will be the second driver I will be rooting for after Fernando.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 8th February 2013, 18:07

@catracho504
      Same. Then again, I don’t blame Lewis for taking shots at a team whose attitude is virtually begging the fans to hate them.

• I don’t see this comment at all as “taking a whack” at Red Bull: why should he be surprised that Red Bull are quick? If he is saying it as he thinks the Red Bull’s aren’t as quick as he would expect though I think that is a rather silly comment; he has no way of knowing what programme/fuel loads/set-up they were running, so taking anything from the times would be stupid.

• JB (@) said on 9th February 2013, 6:20

@vettel1
        I would definitely agree with you Max if Lewis hadn´t played down or deminished Vettel or RBR as he did this past season… That is why I see it as taking a whack at RBR. I may be wrong but as @kingshark said… He can´t be blamed… and I think it not only has to do with the team attitude… I see RBR as the rich kid on the block that always has the coolest toys and feels he has to buy his way in to be liked… sort of like Richie Rich?!
        Anyways, it´s hard not to think that there was some venom to his words!

7. Old Lightnin (@lightnin-hopkins) said on 8th February 2013, 14:43

haters gone hate. Thanks for the post. I couldnt go to spain so thanks for keeping me in the loop

8. Meander (@meander) said on 8th February 2013, 15:11

“Hamilton wasn’t concerned by the show of(f) pace from the RB9″ ;)

9. Oskar (@oskar) said on 8th February 2013, 15:41

“it doesn´t impress me at all”. He says that don´t impress him that RedBull´s pace is impressive, as always.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 8th February 2013, 22:16

@oskar What is there to be impressed about? RBR are the current WDC and WCC holders for that past three years, they should be fast thus it’s not impresive but expected of them! You RBR fans sure get up in arms over the smallest of things.

• @magillagorilla – testing times are fairly meaningless generally so from that respect he can’t be impressed – he doesn’t have the context to the time. Really we have to wait until Q3 on the 16th of March to say who’s times are impressive! But yes I would take the fact he isn’t surprised they are quick as a compliment!

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 8th February 2013, 23:06

@vettel1 I’m well aware what the testing means (been following for more than a decade), and I have said on this board and others that the true test will come at the Australian GP. I’m not talking about times, and seeing past interviews time isn’t relevent to Lewis either, rather I’m saying just like you did earlier, there is nothing to be surprised about. It would be more surprising if RBR didn’t seem fast.

• @magillagorilla – the fact a journalist or him mentioned the times at all is a bit surprising. If we were going by that, I would stick my leg out and say Lotus were the quickest, not Red Bull but we have no way of knowing currently (it’s not like it used to be where one team would clearly be ahead). So yes, of course nothing to be surprised about. The only thing I’m surprised about currently is how Caterham still appear to be clearly slower than the midfield, which is a shame.

10. crr917 (@crr917) said on 8th February 2013, 16:23

“Cool guys don’t look at explosions” :D

11. Dizzy said on 8th February 2013, 16:28

Hamilton was quoted on sky sports news as saying that the Mercedes feels like it has a lot less downforce than the McLaren he drove last year.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 8th February 2013, 21:20

Hamilton has been quoted in a lot of places as saying things that he hasn’t actually said.

• He set a best time of 1’19.515 which was still quick enough for sixth-fastest time at the end of the day. “That was an easy time to get,” he said. “There’s definitely more in it but I’m pushing the aero guys as hard as I can because we need more aero, for sure.”

“Coming from a McLaren that was so competitive at the end of last year, had incredible downforce, you definitely notice the difference But it’s nowhere near as bad as it could be.”

Direct quote from this website, and I believe that’s an interview that Keith was present for. So… conspiracy laid to rest?

• Is it just me who feels that it directly shows when looking at the Merc? It just looks incredibly dis-harmonic to me. I know it is getting harder and harder to actually see how the advances in aero really works but from the looks of it…. well, I haven’t seen a car looking in a loooong time.

12. kgriff said on 8th February 2013, 16:34

I say keep the content comin!

Seems natural to cover him close right now also — considering the big, risky move to MB.