Williams FW35 launch: First pictures

2013 F1 cars

Williams FW35, 2013

The Williams FW35 is the last of the new cars for 2013 to make its first appearance.

Technical director Mike Coughlan said the car is based on last year’s race-winning FW34, but around 80% of its parts are new:

“Given the rule stability over the winter. I’m pleased with the gains that we?ve been able to make with this car,” he said.

“It?s a better, more refined Formula One car than the FW34 and I think everyone involved in the project can feel proud of the work they?ve done.”

Coughlan added the car’s exhausts will be a priority for development this year:

“The Coanda effect is going to be a big thing for us. There?s been no rule clarification concerning this area of the car, so we?ll work closely with Renault to maximise the available gains.

“Use of the DRS is more restricted this year, so we?ll take some resource away from that and focus on other areas.”

Pastor Maldonado scored his first Grand Prix win for the team last year and will be aiming to build on that success. But he faces a new team mate in the shape of highly-rated rookie Valtteri Bottas.

Team principal Frank Williams said: ” We will have to wait until Australia to truly see what we have, but we believe it is step forward from last year?s car which was also a very competitive vehicle.

“Pastor is a delightful character who is a massively determined racer, whilst Valtteri is quieter but still waters run deep and he is a highly gifted driver.

“Williams has been at the top many times over the last 30 years. It?s the nature of the sport to have ups and downs, but when we are down we always fight our way back.

“I?m hoping that with the current team we have in place, our new FW35, the combined talent of Pastor, Valtteri and Susie, and the continued support from our partners, we will be in a position to challenge the very best.”

More images will be added here.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk, Williams

83 comments on Williams FW35 launch: First pictures

1. Roger Camp (@rogercamp) said on 19th February 2013, 13:07

It looks good, although the rear end seems odd. The rear wing looks nice too.

2. I Love the Pope said on 19th February 2013, 13:12

It’s ugly.

I started watching the sport in 2010, so I’ve never had the Williams fanboy bug. They’ve always had boring cars with boring drivers as far as I’m concerned. This Bottas may be more interesting, however, certainly more than a pay driver and some executive’s wife.

• sumedh said on 19th February 2013, 14:22

Maldonado’s talent might be in question. But he is anything but boring! Ask anyone (Maldonado fan or Maldonado hater) and he/she will agree to that.

3. JB (@) said on 19th February 2013, 14:02

Looks darn fast…. with it´s rear missing, there mst be much less drag… rear wing looks evil… all in all, a great looking car and yes, it looks a lot like the ferrari… Oh and the sidepod entry look like the F150 Italia…

I say: BLACK HORSE candidate right here!!!

4. Roald (@roald) said on 19th February 2013, 14:32

This picture shows exactly just how skinny the back of the car is:

Incredible!

5. Maciek (@maciek) said on 19th February 2013, 14:38

I think that I have found my favourite car of 2013, but then again I am a sucker for funky design. Something about it reminds me of that other eccentric Williams creation – the FW26 ‘walrus’. Would love to see an in-depth aero/technical analysis on this one. Either way, me likey.

6. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 19th February 2013, 15:03

Awesome.

The race numbers on the sidepods are badass…

• Lewisham Milton said on 19th February 2013, 21:00

They’re just bad, or ****. A golf clap and sarcastic “well done” for getting rid of the old numbers that everyone could see.

7. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 19th February 2013, 15:21

It looks like a transformer half stuck in… well transformation.

8. Meander (@meander) said on 19th February 2013, 15:24

Reminds me a bit of a certain Brabham.

9. Beto (@chebeto0) said on 19th February 2013, 17:12

Does anyone know if the rumors that the exhaust is illegal are true?

10. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 19th February 2013, 17:26

Great car, very radical indeed!

Everything seems to be missing a title sponsor, the race suits look a bit bare and there is nothing but numbers on numbers and though it looks good I can’t imagine its staying like that.

11. That’s a fantastic rear end

12. Stuart (@stuart2013) said on 20th February 2013, 22:39

I’m really liking the FW35, very clean classic looking livery takig me back to the Rothmans era. If initial testing times are anything to go by it is fairly rapid out of the box too. I hope Maldonado can get to the finish line more often this year, he has the speed to get big results and I really would like to see Williams back at the pointy end again. A car that looks this good deserves some good results to go with it.