Which team has the best-looking car of 2013?

Debates and polls

With any racing car, all that really matters is how fast it goes.

But that doesn’t mean they can’t also look good. And the introduction of ‘vanity’ panels to cover up the unsightly stepped noses which appeared on last year’s cars has produced some better looking racers this year.

But which is the best? Have a look at all eleven of the 2013 contenders below and pick you favourite.

Red Bull-Renault RB9

Toro Rosso STR8

Caterham-Renault CT03

Caterham CT03, 2013

Marussia-Cosworth MR02

Marussia MR02, 2013

Over to you

Which team has the best-looking car this year? Cast your vote below.

Which is the best-looking car of 2013?

• Red Bull-Renault RB9 (3%)
  • Ferrari F138 (22%)
  • McLaren-Mercedes MP4-28 (16%)
  • Lotus-Renault E21 (7%)
  • Mercedes W04 (3%)
  • Sauber-Ferrari C32 (28%)
  • Force India-Mercedes VJM06 (3%)
  • Williams-Renault FW35 (5%)
  • Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR8 (3%)
  • Caterham-Renault CT03 (3%)
  • Marussia-Cosworth MR02 (7%)

Total Voters: 720

Loading ... Loading ...

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Images ?? Various – see watermarks for details

133 comments on Which team has the best-looking car of 2013?

1 4 5 6
  1. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 20th February 2013, 22:45

I actually really like the Caterham; it looks a little like a Caiman in the way the step happens and also how severe it is.
    I also think the Williams and Ferrari are just plain ugly; they each have the same problem in that the nose doesn’t protrude from the front wing struts enough. The Red Bull is the best looking from the respect, but the vanity panel is something I’m not too keen on.

2. silverfan (@somerfield1561) said on 20th February 2013, 23:15

I’d vote for the McLaren all day long . . . the lack of sponsor stickers makes it so, so much more classier looking than any of the others, though the Sauber is good too, the Red Bull is like an explosion in a paint factory . . . horrible !!

3. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 20th February 2013, 23:18

Really tough choice, but as a top 3 I went for:
    1. Mclaren
    2. Sauber
    3. Ferrari

4. Elreno (@elreno) said on 20th February 2013, 23:20

I vote for the Marussia then the Toro Rosso and Sauber. Love the colour of the Caterham but its the ugliest car. The Marussia has a simple elegance thats been missing in recent years with all the silly winglets and bits and pieces. It has those too, but they’ve done a good job. Lets hope the Marussias and Caterhams can get the gap down to 2 secs from the frontrunners rather than 3 plus.

5. F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 21st February 2013, 1:47

I went into this with a very open mind…

I took my love and hate for teams out of the equation, and looked only at body shape and livery. And I very much surprised myself by selecting Marussia. The orange color and clean sidepods just pop! It doesn’t look like a piece of art, and advert, or anything else… It just looks… RACEY! Then followed by McLaren (always beautiful, just change it up sometime, would ya fellas?), Ferrari (thanks for adding the new white lines!), and the Red Bull (I actually like the purple on the sidepods; gives it a new dimension!).

• F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 21st February 2013, 1:50

I know a lot of people love the looks of the Sauber. I do, too. It would make a nice desktop background in the large HD image. But on grey tarmac, it just sorta fades away. It doesn’t look all that great while on track, IMHO.

6. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 21st February 2013, 2:45

Ferrari

7. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 21st February 2013, 5:00

From a bodywork standpoint its between the Mclaren and Toro Rosso.

From a pant job standpoint its between Caterham, Ferrari and Lotus

8. Tommy C (@tommy-c) said on 21st February 2013, 9:05

Looks like I’m in the minority, but there’s just something about the Mercedes I just love this year. Having said that, I’m not looking forward to trying to tell Rosberg from Hamilton apart on track! Thank god for the camera colour schemes aye!

9. James (@jaymz) said on 21st February 2013, 18:14

The McLaren looks the most elegant and for me that is best looking. The Red Bull looks very extreme which is pretty cool too.

10. Am I the only one who likes the Toro Rosso? I mean just look at that nose! And the sidepods!

11. Punchy (@punchy) said on 3rd March 2013, 10:03

I think the cars of today are ugly TBH. Much prefer the F1 cars of the 50’s. But since we are on the topic of the 2013 cars, which to me they mostly look the same with different paint jobs, I’d have to say the Lotus, followed by the Mclaren and the Red Bull just pipping the Mercedes and Ferrari for equal 4th. But only just, the Purple on the Red Bull has taken it down from 2nd place last year to 3rd this year IMO. Not a fan of purple at all.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd March 2013, 10:38

@punchy I think cars from different eras look good for different reasons. There are cars from all decades that look nice and not so nice to me.

But in general I’ve not liked the look of the cars since the 2009 aero changes – it looks like the front and rear wings belong to different cars. The front wing dimension changes for next year may help that but I’m not sure they’ll go far enough.

12. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 9th March 2013, 12:45

I have to say I don’t agree with the majority.
    I liked better Sauber’s car’s color scheme for 2012, than the one for 2013.
    Like last season, the best looking car is, by far, the Lotus, seconded by the Mercedes and the McLaren.
    That’s my top three!

13. PJA (@pja) said on 15th March 2013, 20:07

Bit late to comment but here’s my thoughts.

I still don’t like the step noses so all those cars are at the bottom of my list. I do like how Sauber have dealt with it but I am not convinced by the livery, in some pictures it looks black which is good but in others it looks grey and reminds me of an HRT which isn’t so good.

In the end I went for the McLaren as the shape f the car is good and the livery is still my favourite on the grid.

I think my thoughts on some of the cars will change after a few races when I have seen plenty of footage of them.

14. Glenn said on 9th October 2013, 22:21

Red Bull for me. Love the look & livery, always have. The purple sheen looks superb too!

1 4 5 6