McLaren confirm Lowe to leave at end of year

2013 F1 season

Paddy Lowe, McLarenMcLaren’s technical director Paddy Lowe will leave at the end of the year, the team has confirmed.

Tim Goss has taken over from Lowe “with immediate effect”. Lowe has been linked with a move to Mercedes and is expected to join them in time for the 2014 season.

Lowe joined McLaren in 1993 and has been the team’s technical director since 2011.

Goss has been with McLaren since 1990 and was responsible for the team’s MP4-23, MP4-25 and MP4-27 cars, which scored a total of 18 Grand Prix victories, as well as this year’s MP4-28.

“I’d like to offer my congratulations to Tim on his new position, which, after more than 20 years of exceptional service for McLaren, he richly deserves,” said team principal Martin Whitmarsh.

“It’s a little-known fact, for example, that over the past 23 years he’s made crucial technical and engineering contributions to the winning of five of McLaren’s 12 drivers’ world championships and three of McLaren’s eight constructors’ world championships, and that he’s been the principal definer and developer of McLaren’s F1 car design function for more than five years.”

“I firmly believe that our technical and engineering team is the best in the F1 business,” he added, “and that its strength in depth has always been and will continue to be an important element of our on-track success.”

Whitmarsh said Lowe “will be performing a different role within McLaren until the end of the year”. “We wish him well when he embarks on a fresh challenge in 2014.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

84 comments on McLaren confirm Lowe to leave at end of year

1. I think Steve Matchett did a good job of summarizing Ron Dennis’s probable views on this latest development:

“This increase of inter-competition divergence of McLaren’s senior technical human resources is negatively compatible with our optimality.”

2. Brownerboy (@brownerboy) said on 25th February 2013, 18:22

I believe Lowe’s new role evolves the up keep of the lawns and shrubbery at MTC

3. 370HSSV (@370hssv) said on 25th February 2013, 18:25

It always makes me smile how they (especially Whitmarsh) put spin on these storylines. If Tim Goss is so good and have provided such good service and insight into so many championships then why the hell has it taken 26 years for McLaren to recognise him in this role he so deserves. Typically too many cooks spoil the broth.
    Cue yet another year of optimism tainted with operational errors robbing them of championships. Being a McLaren fan is perfectly parallelled with being an Arsenal fan.

4. Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
    Lowe story now updated with Brawn expected to leave

5. Hahaha Mclaren fans are mad.

6. Key strategy for Mercedes is to be sure other teams are with no options because Mercedes have hired every Technical Director.

7. So another mclaren high profile senior personell leaves eh… Alright, lets see who’s next I wonder. We all.know over the years mclaren have lost key guys to other teams

8. I liked the suggestions that Mercedes is trying to win in 2014 by making sure other teams will be left without key personnel, but then I thought, what if it is the other way around? What if top teams worry about Mercedes dominance, and so made a pact to sneak some of their own into key positions in Mercedes? If this theory is right, we will be soon hearing about one person from Ferrari and one from Red Bull going to mercedes :-).

9. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 25th February 2013, 21:18

I can’t imagine what Lowe will be doing at Mercedes.

At this point, I suspect they’ll just be paying all the established technical directors to not work for other teams, rather than paying them to work for Mercedes.

10. Alex (@smallvizier) said on 25th February 2013, 21:22

Question: are there any restrictions on spending now that the RRA has collapsed?

Follow-up: would spending a lot of money on technical staff mean that Mercedes had to spend less on car development?

• Nick.UK (@) said on 25th February 2013, 21:29

I’m sure staff are paid from the ‘Mercedes AMG HQ bank account’ rather than the F1 divisions budget. This would avoid any clashes. The restrictions agreement was a bit lack luster anyway. It’s no cooincidence the Red Bull Technology Centre (not affliated directly with the F1 team as far as I know) is located across the street pretty much from the F1 factory… you just know things will be getting researched in there and simply carried across to the factory.

11. Jimmy Clark said on 25th February 2013, 21:28

The last time that Jenson Button was in a team that was falling apart , he won the championship. Someone should have brought Rubens back.(I like that person).

12. What if they refuse to renew the engine contract they could eliminate a key competitor. easuer to beat 2 than 3.

13. Jono (@me262) said on 25th February 2013, 23:18

IMO I dont think McLaren have quite the same level of commitment to F1 since Ron left to head their road car division..they seem to prefer selling on Mondays than winning on Sundays..

14. Robbo said on 26th February 2013, 4:22

There are some very clued up Kiwis and Aussies, who would just love a design and manufacturing career with McLaren …. No shortage of future talent waiting on an opportunity … Go McLaren 2014 … put in the hard yards and have belief … Id be a bit ****** off if Merc was robbing my cradle of knowledege, but there is allways more talent coming along, and McLaren has without doubt given more opportunity to young drivers / designers and all others, than any other team I can think of, and on a budjet that is a lot less than some teams out there.

15. MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 26th February 2013, 6:25

Okay so we have the following now: Ross Brawn, Toto Wolff, Aldo Costa, Nick Fry, Bob Bell, Geoff Willis and now the great Patty Lowe…

That is quite the group of engineers, and it better work for as much money as they are putting up, I don’t think even Ferrari’s dual corp. of engineers working on both cars at the same time will do the trick. I feel Merc GP is a bigger powerhouse and finally realized the true main key, engineers. The driver is important too, but as Brawn GP showed us two solid drivers in an amazing car can do wonders just long enough to clinch the WDC and WCC. I feel Brawn can get back to that with this group of people, and the only reason we have so many is due to them actually building both cars at the same time so I don’t think we will see a diminishing return.