Schumacher to race ex-team mate’s son in karts

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher will return to racing at the wheel of a go-kart in the WSK Euro Series.

Schumacher will drive for the Tony Kart team in the KZ1 category at the La Conca circuit in Italy on Sunday. See video of him testing at the track above.

Among the 44-yer-old seven-times F1 champion’s rivals is 15-year-old Max Verstappen, son of Schumacher’s 1994 Benetton team mate Jos Verstappen.

Schumacher won the German and European karting championships in 1987, four years before he made his Formula One debut for Jordan.

Schumacher made several returns to karting after graduating to Formula One. He competed against Lewis Hamilton in 2001 and made another appearance for Tony Kart prior to his 2010 F1 comeback.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

31 comments on Schumacher to race ex-team mate’s son in karts

1. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 25th February 2013, 18:29

Will this be on any UK Channels? Sounds like a Motors TV kind of show

2. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 25th February 2013, 19:05

Who is number 13, I believe, that tries to pass schumi?

3. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 25th February 2013, 19:30

April 1st already then?

4. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 25th February 2013, 19:33

Great to see him doing what he loves most.

5. assad khan said on 25th February 2013, 20:06

schumacher will enjoy this more than his mercedes career , good to see him having fun. Wish I was one of the kart racers so I can have a chat with him

6. Alex` (@alexf1) said on 25th February 2013, 20:18

** Waiting for a race between Schumacher and Barrichello’s son $$

7. Cristian (@cristian) said on 25th February 2013, 20:54

Waiting for a race between Schumacher and Vettel’s son :)

8. Txizzle (@txizzle) said on 25th February 2013, 21:00

Let’s see if Max can keep away from his fathers tradition of running into graveltraps :)
    We in Holland always joke about Jos’s gravelcollection. :P

9. I set my cards on Max Verstappen in this one. No lack for respect for Schumacher here but, the kid is almost unbeatable.

Great to see two generations race ;-) says a lot about Schumacher qualities.

• Matthijs (@matthijs) said on 26th February 2013, 7:31

It’s almost unbelievable how successful Verstappen Jr. is, also thanks to his father and his engines. But I hope Schumacher does well, it’s nice to see Schumacher versus Verstappen!

10. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 25th February 2013, 22:04

Check my avatar to see who I’m rooting for!

11. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 25th February 2013, 23:14

When I read the headline the first person I thought of was Nelson Piquet Jr!

12. Matthijs (@matthijs) said on 26th February 2013, 7:34

During his ‘first’ F1 career, I was not really rooting for Schumacher, for several reasons. But now I have a great respect for him. It’s been a privilege to have seen this legend drive. Furthermore, he seems to be a friendly and relaxed guy.

13. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 26th February 2013, 8:50

Nice to see Schumacher taking on the young generation (again, you might say).

I was wondering though, what are the rules regarding the weight of the kart and the driver together? I imagine Schumacher is quite a bit heavier than the other drivers after all the fitness training he has done over the years.

• Matthijs (@matthijs) said on 26th February 2013, 9:02

Google is your friend! For KZ1, the minimum weight is 175 kg with driver. I suppose the kart itself will be around 90-100 kg. Schumacher with gear (helmet, suit etc) will probably be around 80 kilos, so he will most likely be just fine. Max Verstappen, who is smaller will probably need to add 15 to 25 kilos of lead!

14. RacerX1 said on 26th February 2013, 11:53

This man is a true racer, that’s why he is the seven time champion. Massive respect to him

15. Adriaantje (@sutil2013) said on 26th February 2013, 20:12

Indeed its nice to see the passion the man has for the sport. To me the video also demonstrates he is as blind on this track as he sometimes seemed to be in his second F1 career, with regards to driver 131.

btw, still anxiously awaiting “The Sutil News”!