McLaren-Honda rumours resurface

F1 Fanatic round-up

Ayrton Senna, McLaren-Honda MP4/5B, 1990In the round-up: Rumours that McLaren will reunite with Honda in the future resurface.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

McLaren set to use Honda engines (BBC)

“McLaren are first expected to race with Honda engines in 2015.”

Alonso says the best is yet to come (Reuters)

“Last year was the best year of my career and I was very happy with the performance, but I think this year will be better.”

Sebastian Vettel Q&A: Testing more inconclusive than ever (F1)

“I would say that we never had a winter that was less conclusive than this one: the tyres last more or less, depending on how much temperature you are able to create. So I think it is impossible for all of us to read the pace of the cars and to make out any favourites.”

Bianchi sure Marussia making strides (Autosport)

“Even from my side, just from Saturday to Sunday, it is a big improvement. But we don’t know what people were doing so it is difficult to say what the [relative] improvement is.”

The Right Attire for Tyres (F1 Elvis)

“Without the correct chemical reaction of the compound, the tyre simply doesn’t stick to the road, the car slides around, not only making for a slower lap time, but importantly the sliding around overheats and quickly destroys the surface, making matters worse and you’ve lost your opportunity for the optimum lap.”

This is the year we’ll all find out just how good Lewis Hamilton is (The Independent)

Kevin Garside: “[Ron] Dennis has never allowed emotion to penetrate the economics of the deal. We are about to discover how mad he was to let Hamilton go.”

The mystery of Red Bull?s testing pace (NBC)

“To a man those who watched the RB9s on the track reported they looked stable and swift. It did not look like a slow car, just one that was carrying a lot of fuel.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Vettel1 isn’t convinced Red Bull are in trouble:

I just don?t buy that Red Bull are two seconds slower than Mercedes; that is just compete illogical based on the base they have and what they achieved last year. Ferrari and Mercedes could certainly have showed us where they are relative to each other, as it did appear they were just copying what Mercedes were doing.

McLaren are a bit of an unknown currently though, although I doubt they?ve “done an F2012″.
@Vettel1

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to IDR, Jarred Walmsley, TommyB and Jake!

On this day in F1

Tom Pryce was killed along with marshal Jansen van Vuuren in a horrible accident at Kyalami 36 years ago today. Van Vuuren had run across the track to attend to a car which had stopped when he was struck by Pryce’s car.

Image ?? Honda

70 comments on McLaren-Honda rumours resurface

1. Calum (@calum) said on 5th March 2013, 0:10

Mercedes Benz engines, Lewis Hamilton and Paddy Lowe to Brackley.
    Honda engines, Jenson Button to Woking.

Criss-Cross.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 5th March 2013, 1:48

The criss-cross will work even more if Wolf-Brawn partnership does not work and Brawn moves to McLaren. A Tit for Tat by Whitmarsh & Ron for taking away their prodigy.

So it is
      Brawn – Button – Honda
      Lowe – Hamilton – Mercedes

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 5th March 2013, 10:55

@tmax I had exactly the same thought, though I’m not sure that Mercedes would be too concerned; the later those two combinations was certainly much more successful than the former (which was only together for a single season).

What would be ironic, though, is that Hamilton stated that working with Brawn was one of the attractions of the move so a move to McLaren by Brawn might really annoy him. Having said that I can’t really see Brawn at McLaren – a return to Williams looks like a better fit.

2. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 5th March 2013, 0:21

Regarding COTD, who says Red Bull are in trouble. Of what I’ve heard from Gary Anderson, RBR have the best, fastest and most planted car out there on the grid. Then again, he said the same thing last year, and coming to Melbourne we all saw a line of red-faced journos.

3. codesurge (@codesurge) said on 5th March 2013, 0:28

As a follow up to that DLR vs Alonso video, check out this one showing Alonso and Massa taking turns behind the wheel of a 458. Looks like Alonso really doesn’t take well to being a passenger.

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 5th March 2013, 0:38

Nobody knows the true and full pace of the cars till Melbourne shows up. Period.

5. HoHum (@hohum) said on 5th March 2013, 0:40

Well done Max.

6. Gridl0k said on 5th March 2013, 1:51

So what exactly does Benson base that story on? I missed the part where he got anything other than a denial or a no comment.

7. Cacarella (@cacarella) said on 5th March 2013, 3:33

I think Keith Collantine would make a better ‘Chief F1 Writer’ at the BBC…

8. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 5th March 2013, 6:17

Ricciardo’s comment was interesting. Makes me wonder why the teams are testing and gathering inconclusive data (and freezing) in Europe over the winter, when there are F1 spec circuits ready and waiting to be used by the teams in Qatar, Bahrain, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Having went to Europe for a week last week I can tell you Abu Dhabi is significantly warmer at the moment!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th March 2013, 7:12

But you probably did not want to bring a whole container of freight with you when you went back. Makes it a lot harder to do (and more expensive, esp. with teams bringing new bits even several times a day!)

• Were I to hazard a guess, I’d say there are a few factors in favor of European testing., with a primary one being logistics. The proximity of the Spanish tracks to team bases make it cheaper and faster to get equipment there. This means they can run development on parts longer and basically overnight what’s needed, as opposed to needing to freight cars out well in advance.

• John H (@john-h) said on 5th March 2013, 8:56

They did test at Bahrain a couple of years back and it was constantly blighted by sandstorms. Also, getting a bit of wet weather testing is actually beneficial to most teams, and that is more likely in Europe. Having said that, the Jerez test made little sense so maybe that could be moved, but as mentioned, its lugging all the gear (and grosjean) around the world that’s the main issue…I think the mechanics do enough traveling as it is.

9. no BRAINER said on 5th March 2013, 6:37

Didn’t I hear that last year too???

• John H (@john-h) said on 5th March 2013, 8:59

I never understand why throughout their test programme they wouldnt push the car once to the absolute limit for just a single qualification lap. The sandbagging comments make no sense to me either. Perhaps the car is planted but a little too slow on the straights?

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 5th March 2013, 10:20

I think it would make sense for Red Bull to have one of the fastest cars on the grid come Melbourne. After all, they’ve gone for an evolution of last year’s design, rather than a revolution, as McLaren have with their pull-rod suspension, for example. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they set the pace for the first phase of the season, until the season reaches Europe. Whether or not they can continue extracting pace from the car beyond that, however, is another matter altogether. McLaren will probably pull off their usual trick of having the fastest car at the end of the season, but if Mercedes or Ferrari can produce a few wins early on, Red Bull could fall behind and the championship would be wide open. They have to make the first half-dozen races count.

10. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 5th March 2013, 6:44

Tom Pryce accident was one of the worst in history!

11. BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th March 2013, 7:07

Happy birthday guys! That is for all of you @IDR, @Jarred-Walmsley,@TommyB85 and @jleigh

12. codesurge (@codesurge) said on 5th March 2013, 7:27

@keithcollantine Any chance we’d see you appear on NBC’s F1 broadcasts in addition to their website?

13. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 5th March 2013, 7:54

I was no fan of Honda when they were last in F1, but I hope they do make a return, if only because the number of engine suppliers in F1 is now unsustainably low.

14. Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 5th March 2013, 8:38

In unrelated news, is there anybody else that would like Ted Kravitz to be fired and replaced by Marc Priestley? I thought he was great on their testing coverage.

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 5th March 2013, 11:59

I thought Ted and his parts on Sky made the testing. The coverage was always going to be good, but the Notebooks were great. They should just have both though, that would be an awesome pairing.

• Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 5th March 2013, 12:15

Yeah, would be an improvment for sure. I used to like Kravitz back when he was on BBC but since Sky has been giving him more and more airtime I’ve become irritated with his lack of actual knowledge, especially since BBC now has Gary Anderson. Somebody who has worked in the business will have much better insight as opposed to Kravitz being extremely exited by a new hole in the Ferrari frontwing endplate and telling everybody how wonderful this new hole is before they even tried it (and enevetably end up not using it at all).