Sky to raise F1 channel cost and offer cut-price stream

Television

Christian Horner, Buddh International Circuit, 2012The cost of watching F1 on Sky in the UK will rise to ??510 per season next month.

On April 9th the Sky F1 channel will become part of the Sky Sports package which costs ??21 per month on top of a ??21.50 per month Sky subscription (excluding offers), with a minimum 12-month contract.

The F1 channel is currently part of the HD pack which costs ??381 per year (discounted to ??349.50 at present). Existing Sky customers who receive the F1 channel through the HD pack will continue to do so after the move. According to Sky, 4.5 million subscribers have the HD pack.

Sky is also planning to offer on-demand access to Sky Sports via its Now TV streaming website. This service, which does not require a Sky contract, will offer 24 hours’ access to Sky Sports, including the F1 channel, for ??9.99.

Nine of this year’s nineteen races will be shown on free-to-air television in the UK. All the rounds are being shown on Sky.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

156 comments on Sky to raise F1 channel cost and offer cut-price stream

1. Sam Andrew said on 8th March 2013, 15:23

£51 per race, excellent value

2. dansus (@dansus) said on 9th March 2013, 14:54

Cant put a dish up round here, so got a friend to sign up to Badgers half price deal and pay her a tenner towards it to use SkyGo.

• Matthew (@f1matt) said on 11th March 2013, 13:00

Got the Badger half price deal too!

Averaged out at £18.38 over the 12 months minus a £2.50 discount on my existing Sky Broadband made it a no brainer.

Will have to fight my corner in 12 months to keep it that low though….

3. W-K (@w-k) said on 9th March 2013, 15:27

I just had a look around at sky and now TV and still cannot see anything thats says the Sky sports F1 will be available next w/end. I think that at ~£100/year between me and youngest son will not be too bad.

Does anybody have definite news? I don’t plan on joining until I have a good idea it is actually available.

4. pankracy said on 13th March 2013, 12:50

If you’re lucky you can get good package for good price :) I got a call from SKY and they offered me Sky Entertainment and SKY+HD (so F1 channel included) for £13 pre month with 12 months contract. I had broadband with them with no TV, but I could not decline that sort of offer :)

5. GreenKwak said on 14th March 2013, 8:40

As a keen F1 fan, I too miss the original BBC coverage, which in my view was pretty good. Sadly, the beeb have always blinked first when it comes to a showdown with Tory governments who hate anything publicly owned – especially broadcasting. On principle I don’t / won’t subscribe to Sky or any other Murdoch owned media outlet – which predates phone hacking / Leaveson. In my view Sky shouldn’t even have a broadcasting licence let alone dominate as it does. I fear for the future of free to air good quality broadcasting – we nearly lost 6 Music for God’s sake – but we need to support it or we’ll lose it.

6. TZoni (@tzoni) said on 2nd April 2013, 13:30

in Germany F1 is free for all on Free TV (the whole season)
    but you can also watch on Sky (35 € per month)

7. Nickiwoo said on 1st June 2013, 15:45

Sky advised this morning that f1 will no longer be part of hd package from October. All customers will have to take sky sports to watch! Not happy, sky will be cancelled in my house