Fittipaldi and Mansell on new Drivers’ Commission

2013 F1 season

Nigel Mansell, Williams, 2011The FIA World Motor Sports Council has approved the inauguration of a new Drivers’ Commission.

The sport’ governing body said it will represent “the rights and interests of drivers across the disciplines”.

Among its members are two-times world champion Emerson Fittipaldi, who serves as its president.

He is joined by 1992 world champion Nigel Mansell, fellow F1 drivers Emanuele Pirro and Karun Chandhok, and former Marussia test driver Maria de Villota.

FIA Drivers’ Commission members

Keiko Ihara Japan

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

21 comments on Fittipaldi and Mansell on new Drivers’ Commission

1. HoHum (@hohum) said on 8th March 2013, 16:13

An effort to wrest control from the GP drivers association ?
    Or just generally increasing their hold on motorsport (but don’t call it Empire building) ?

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 8th March 2013, 16:22

Sounds like, potentially, a pretty good idea to me.

3. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 8th March 2013, 16:23

This makes it sound a little bit like a union. Still, I’d be interested in knowing how this will effect, and more importantly, help the sport.

4. Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 8th March 2013, 16:27

no from the motorbikes?

5. frogster said on 8th March 2013, 17:02

Sounds like it’s just a job creation scheme to me.

6. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 8th March 2013, 17:09

Nice idea! Also, Loeb is the right choice in my opinion for president. Knows the recent situation of motorsport and he is a big name

7. KateM (@katem) said on 8th March 2013, 17:11

I can’t say I’m totally convinced that many of these FIA commissions popping up really do much beyond merely existing. And to be brutally honest there’s a couple of names in there I don’t think have done much to merit representing drivers in their discipline.

8. David (@mansellsmoustache) said on 8th March 2013, 17:49

I’d be skeptical, but with Red 5 involved I doubt this is just smoke and mirrors. If there is one thing that Mansell has apart from huge cajones it is integrity. If this becomes a rubber stamping commission don’t expect him to stick around. I am sure he would only agree to be part of this to try to help the drivers. He has never been one to toe the line.

9. So the President is Jean Todt?