Button wants to see his career out at McLaren

F1 Fanatic round-up

Jenson Button, McLaren, Circuit de Catalunya, 2013In the round-up: Jenson Button says he still has “much to achieve” at McLaren.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Jenson Button happy to remain attached to McLaren until he retires (The Guardian)

“Some people decide to leave this team because they feel there’s another challenge, or something’s missing from their position. For me, there is still so much to achieve.”

Hamilton hails Mercedes’ driver focus (Autosport)

“I think the focus on the driver, the driver’s performance, and the driver being ready for the job at hand is one thing that I’m noticing is quite a little bit better here.”

Crash and learn (The Age)

Romain Grosjean “Mark [Webber] was unkind to me that one time. I went to him after the race to apologise and, of course, he wasn’t very happy, but I told him it was a mistake and I don’t want to do it again. That was the main thing, so I think we’re OK now.”

Toro Rosso driver Daniel Ricciardo chasing Formula One dream (The Telegraph – Australia)

“I think Mark (Webber) is my best mate when it comes to drivers. I don’t really dislike any of the drivers, but I don’t get along with all of them either. There are a couple that I may have only said one word to in the last 12 months. I think that is just how it is. We don’t go out of our way to hang out. Maybe some do but, to be honest, I am not that interested.”

Hill: DRS is ‘interesting’ addition to F1 (Crash)

“I think it’s an interesting device because there’s a bit of a thrill when someone gets within that DRS zone and suddenly shoots past the car in front of them.”

New Jersey back on course for 2014 (ESPN)

New Jersey Grand Prix promoter Leo Hindery Jnr: “We are back under construction. We have the consents in place that we didn’t have last fall, and we will quite comfortably put the race on, now probably in the mid-year of 2014 with [Bernie Ecclestone's] support.”

Rake – Does it mean additional downforce? (SomersF1)

“Red Bull’s movement of… FOM camera’s to the hammerhead position on the nose further suggests the team have gone to in order to tilt the front wing backward under aerodynamic load with the camera’s being placed behind the Y250 section it could have had an undesired effect on the aero aft of it.”

The Cold War in Barcelona (Jamey Price Photo)

“The cold war mentality is well and truly alive in the Formula One pitlane. Mechanics taking secret photos of rival car?s suspension and aero work. Teams using any and all means to make it ‘hard’ for photographers to capture what parts the car has on it by closing us out of garages with canvas screens, and tactics never seen before, to keep us all from capturing any extended views of the car. It?s madness really. Almost comical. Certainly annoying. But at the same time, it really is interesting.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@John-H isn’t convinced teams spend their precious testing time “sandbagging” for the sake of it:

If these teams are sandbagging, what?s the point of testing at all? Do we really think that McLaren and Red Bull didn?t once do a qualifying run to test out performance?? wouldn?t that be pretty silly just for the sake of playing down expectations?

I actually think the race pace of the McLaren looks pretty good, but if they haven?t got a fast one-lap car, when combined with their drivers they could be starting many Grands Prix from the middle of the pack.
@John-H

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Fred Schechter!

On this day in F1

Mika Hakkinen made his Grand Prix debut on this day in 1991, driving for Lotus in the United States Grand Prix.

He was running 11th when an engine fire forced him to retire on lap 60. Future team mate Ayrton Senna won ahead of Alain Prost and Nelson Piquet.

Hakkinen features in this introduction to the race:

101 comments on Button wants to see his career out at McLaren

1. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 10th March 2013, 14:07

For the love of all thats holy, why on earth is everyone assuming Jenson said that as an insult. It’s as much a statement of fact as anything else – Hamilton said he wanted a new challenge. All Jenson is saying is that he’s happy at Mclaren, and wants to stay there.

There are far too many people who look for any slight in any drivers comments, be it real or imagined.

• Yeah, some of the reactions to Button’s comments are totally baffling. How anyone could see what he said as insulting Hamilton is beyond me.

2. tmax (@tmax) said on 10th March 2013, 14:24

Dah !!!! Another Text book comment from a driver to improve the morale of the team and keep the team principal happy ….. I am so bored of this comment.

Lewis, Schumi, Fernando, Button and many more have said this at some point when they feel happy about the team. The first instance there is a bungled pit stop , their mood changes. Eventually these guys are racers, all they want is a good car and an environment where they can win the championship. Rest everything, all the loyalty talks are smoke screen and fodder for the media and fans. So lets rejoice his comments and talk about it to eternity.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 10th March 2013, 14:47

So lets rejoice his comments and talk about it to eternity.

I guess most people here (including myself) are suffering from race withdrawl syndrome so they are tearing apart any piece of F1 news they get. The Australian GP still seems to be like an eternity waiting, at least @keithcollantine could do is another Caption Competition.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 10th March 2013, 15:39

@klaas I admit that I am equally guilty. Being a hardcore F1 fan, it is very hard to live without F1 news for so long. So any news is intresting these days. Thanks to @keithcollantine for keeping us engaged through the hard winter hibernation.

• yes you are right ! This website is one of the few that updates daily. A round up followed by an article or two . But I visit it about 4 times a day for some juicy news and comments. Kind of bored for action ,really . Saturday is taking too long to arrive :(

3. Baron (@baron) said on 10th March 2013, 22:51

I would like to ask a question. Did this kind of Jenson Button/Mclaren/Whitmarsh conspiracy thing and general Button hate take place last year or year before? I can’t seem to remember, but I think it didn’t.

There is a danger that a ‘meme’ starts in this way, and then becomes accepted fact. To call Button a ‘midfield driver’, and ‘nobody wants him’ is plain fantasy. He has earned his dues, beating the much fancied Jack Villeneuve and giving the acclaimed LH a run for the last 2 years doesn’t make a midfield driver in my book. Jenson’s approach to racing is akin to that of a football goal poacher – always lurking and taking advantage of every opportunity. I don’t remember them being villified for utilizing that strategy. Of course, I guess the crowds really respect a balls out racer and even if he crashes and burns is still a ‘hero’. That’s all very well and good, but Jenson is racing in his own style and being very successful, whilst his former team mate, whilst quick in places has a suspect temperament. The clue to the origins of hate on Button is due to the circumstances surrounding Lewis Hamilton’s last 2 years at McLaren – much of which was self induced and almost universally, comes from his ‘fans’ who seem to have emigrated from football. If you throw in the infamous ‘tweets’ both of which were totally inaccurate, then you have a platform from which to slander/libel Jenson’s reputation.

To read this nonsense about any of the drivers frankly makes my heart sink but it probably reflects the kind of society in which we now live, and it stinks. I personally don’t care about conspiracies and who said what to whom – I’m just here for the racing and I wish people would just leave the personal stuff about the drivers out of it completely – it just ruins the atmosphere of what was once a bunch of enthusiastic and knowledgeable followers.

• Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 10th March 2013, 23:05

Honestly? This ********* has been taking place on here since Jenson first won for McLaren. There seems to be a certain contingent who’ve decided that there’s no possible way Jenson could win against Lewis on merit.

4. Garns (@garns) said on 11th March 2013, 12:52

@ Nic.uk. –

“Mark should have approached him and simply said ‘Look, what’s wrong, how can we help you get around it?”

Really mate? I think Mark was more worried while he had been punted out of an easy P2 rather then helping the Frenchmens development. I get you point in helping your fellow driver, and those in the pinnacle of their chosen sport stick together…………… but its all BS isnt it!!??

I read quite a few drivers when asked of their interaction with their team mate in this pre-season, and NONE I read suggest they are close, mate with or really even care for their team-mate- and yes Kimi was asked about his team-mates 1st lap mishaps- some along the line llike “I dont think about it, talk to him about it, its up to him, I concertrate on me!”

While I am sure we all expect nothing less that that from Kimi, if Grosjean cant get some advice and mentoring for his team mate sitting 5 meters away, I cant see how the other on the grid will- ESPECIALLY those he has taken out. For the record I am a fan of Romain and hope he irons out the errors and wins his first race this year.

Some have said he has no business in F1 due to last year- I do disagree with that at this stage (just) but if he continues in the first 1/3rd of the year they will need to out him. I hope he comes good!!
    Garns