Honda “confirm” plan to return with McLaren in 2015

F1 Fanatic round-up

Ayrton Senna, McLaren, 1989In the round-up: Further claims Honda will return as an engine manufacturer in 2015 with McLaren.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

McLaren leaves door open for Honda (Autosport)

“Honda sources have confirmed to Autosport that it plans to return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier to McLaren.”

Lewis Hamilton: I’m either hated or loved… (Daily Mail)

“Go to Spain and people generally hate me there. Whether it was something I said about Fernando [Alonso] or something he said to the people about me, they do not forget and you are branded.”

Lewis Hamilton plans to build a legacy as a great ?ǣ and a museum too (The Guardian)

“It is a different era and I am not Ayrton Senna. I am my own personality, but I hope that I will have that greatness.”

Performance takes priority over reliability ?ǣ Whitmarsh (NBC)

“Whitmarsh said McLaren are ‘constantly vigilant’ about improving their car?s reliability. ‘But we mustn’t become so obsessed by the pursuit of reliability that we don?t change the car.'”

Sam Michael Q&A (Sky)

“If I said, ‘We’ve got a new rear wing’, for example, there might be two reasons why we don’t run a new rear wing: it might not have correlated well or something else happened in the tunnel that changed our understanding and that wing became obsolete very quickly. So we’ve learnt from past experience not to say what the actual upgrades are until they’ve actually done the grand prix.”

Australians unhappy at paying ??23m fee for race (The Times, subscription required)

“Bernie Ecclestone will fly into Melbourne this week facing calls to cut his ??23 million race fee to save the future of the Australian Grand Prix.”

Formula One Betting: Pre-season Tips (Unibet)

My column for Unibet is back – here are the pick of the pre-season bets on the championship and the first race of the year.

Martin Brundle: Sebastian Vettel’s the best (Express)

Martin Brundle: “Max [Chilton] deserves a shot. He?s got a strong personality. I don?t see him as another Hamilton, but you can emerge from tail-end teams and we?ll see if he can do that.”

A lesson on how to drive on ice… Kimi Raikkonen style… (Lotus via YouTube)

Could we be in for a shock in Melbourne? (Intelligent F1)

“If there is to be a surprise, it is most likely to come from Williams, and I would expect them to be the only interlopers within the top ten (under normal circumstances) from this midfield pack.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Bullmello has high hopes for Williams this year:

It would be great to see the Williams team have a competitive and productive season. Long one of my favourite teams, it is refreshing to see an underdog (privateer without the massive resources of the ultra-rich manufacturers) with so much potential going into a new season.

The car looks quite promising and the drivers are the definition of partially unrealised potential and a largely unknown quantity in F1 competition, yet good experience with the car and team. Maldonado should realise his potential this season and I think he will.

I think Bottas could be one of the better young drivers to come along in a while. How could any F1 fan not be excited about what the Williams team brings to 2013!
@Bullmello

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Daniel, Garf, Michael Griffin, Monkzie, nitin24 and Obi-Spa Kenobi!

On this day in F1

It was a busy day’s testing for several teams on this day ten years ago. Cristiano Da Matta was quickest for Toyota at Jerez. Meanwhile Ferrari entrusted their car development to test driver Felipe Massa at Fiorano.

Image ?? Honda

131 comments on Honda “confirm” plan to return with McLaren in 2015

1. Giuseppe (@giuseppe) said on 12th March 2013, 0:04

McLaren Honda? Oh, yeah!

2. Hairs (@hairs) said on 12th March 2013, 0:11

Martin, you really, really do. If you had done last year you could have won both championships…

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 12th March 2013, 8:32

But who’s to say if they *had* focused on reliability, they’d be leading the pack?

Still, don’t forget that the majority of McLaren’s cock-ups were operational and/or fuel-pump failures.

Yes, Hamilton threw a few gearboxes, which can be construed as genuine unreliability, but fuel-pump failures are less a ‘McLaren’ problem because they’re part of the Mercedes engine package, just like the Renault alternator failure(s) can’t be laid at the feet of either Lotus or Red Bull – the respective car packages didn’t help, but it wasn’t their problem to solve.

3. Dane (@n0b0dy100) said on 12th March 2013, 0:16

Kimi sounds like a horrible back seat driver! Best personality in F1, so glad he’s back.

And McLaren Honda…
    That has a good ring to it.

4. NinjaBadger (@ninjabadger) said on 12th March 2013, 0:38

Just a thought:
    Would a Honda powered McLaren mean an end to the silver paint?

• The livery is because of Vodafone

• Brace (@brace) said on 12th March 2013, 2:12

The silver livery is because of McLaren according to their own statement. The same question was asked when Mercedes announced their own team and McLaren replied that it’s their livery which isn’t there just because of “silver arrow” angle. Vodafone hardly has anything to do with silver, but I’d welcome a change from that horible silver, red mish-mash, hit and miss theme.

I wish they’d race in orange. Black and orange is an absolute killer color combination and is an actual McLaren color.

• KronicSonic (@kronicsonic) said on 12th March 2013, 2:21

I thought it was just the red and white that were due to Vodafone?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 12th March 2013, 2:39

No, the livery is a Mercedes thing.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 7:54

@lite992 – Only the red is Vodafone’s colour. The silver stems from Mercedes. McLaren picked it up when they started their relationship with the engine supplier back in the mid-1990s, but only changed it to chrome some time in the 2000s.

• uctq said on 12th March 2013, 14:40

@prisoner-monkeys

Whilst the silver might stem from Mercedes, it’s more likely that it’s from “West”, the tobacco company that started sponsoring McLaren in 1997. If you remember rightly, McLaren ran with Merc engines during 1995/6, but still had their Marlboro sponsorship (with the iconic red/white).

McLaren changed to all silver in 1997, along with West sponsorship. When that deal came to an end in 2005, McLaren painted the car chrome with a red accent on the wings (for Emirates) for 2006. Finally, in 2007, Vodafone joined giving us more red and the livery they’ve currently got.

So really, their livery is an evolution (like all liveries). I personally think the 98/99 ones are the best looking though. Iconic.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 12th March 2013, 14:53

@prisoner-monkeys the livery was unaffected by the switch to Mercedes engines and remained the Marlboro red & white until the change to West sponsorship which first brought in the silver livery (but with much more black and white than at present).

The change to the current chrome sytling took place following the departure of West sponsorship and was likely influenced by a combination of the existing silver colour from the West design and the continued influence of Mercedes. So it can probably fairly be described as a McLaren livery but one borne of the influence of West and Mercedes.

• David not Coulthard (@) said on 12th March 2013, 2:01

I don’t kmow, we certainly won’t see cigar ads, so…

• Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 12th March 2013, 3:33

Does this mean orange McLarens?

• David not Coulthard (@) said on 12th March 2013, 5:03

The first image was meant to be of a Honda R108, the 2nd of a Honda R107

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 12th March 2013, 6:07

I think they might go for their classic McLaren-Honda livery: white with a red stripe – of course this livery isn’t directly a link between Honda and McLaren, but I guess most people associate McLaren-Honda with the red and white cars Senna and Prost used to drive.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 12th March 2013, 7:54

Thatclassic livery ismeanttolook like a pack ofmarlboro cigarettes.Might not be allowed.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 8:51

They can still use red and white without looking like a cigarette packet.

• i thought cigarette packets nowadays are pictures of emphysema and gangrene?!

• NinjaBadger (@ninjabadger) said on 12th March 2013, 12:32

@sato113
            Honda’s racing colours tends to be white and red.
            Their last F1 cars (if you take off the green and blue), the BTCC cars, GTs, the Type-Rs…

Also, Lotus went to the old black and gold livery, and williams with their 90s livery. So who knows?

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 12th March 2013, 15:00

I think it’d be great if they did go with a red and white livery (obviously if they partner with Honda). Certainly as a homage to iconic liveries, as Lotus and Williams have done, but also because of Honda’s racing colours which are iconic of their country of origin.
          And I guess if Jenson is still part of the team, the fact that he has a Japanese girlfriend and huge interest and respect for Japan and its culture couldn’t hurt the team’s image or relationship with the motoring giant Honda.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 7:57

@mouse_nightshirt – Not necessarily. Colours are often decided by sponsors, so even if McLaren abandon the chrome look, it’s no guarantee that they will take that yellow-orange colouring. Honestly, I’d be very surprised if they did pick it up, since it’s very difficult to match with any colour before you even take into account a sponsor’s desires.

5. Brace (@brace) said on 12th March 2013, 0:42

Everyone complains that Kimi never smiles, let alone laughs, but I think he got a good, honest laugh out of that crash in the snow. :)

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 12th March 2013, 1:24

Another engine supplier can only be a good thing for the sport, and a return for Honda with McLaren would be fitting. I’ve only ever really known McLaren with Merc engines so this would be a huge change indeed!

I guess economics plays a role, but would McLaren be taking all the risks? By 2015 we’ll have had a year of the new regulations and McLaren will know the strengths and weaknesses of the 2014 engines and their suppliers. Would Honda becoming their supplier represent a potential unknown and a huge risk to their future competitiveness?

• Spinmastermic (@spinmastermic) said on 12th March 2013, 1:41

Its a risk for 2015 but its worth it for works backing from manufacturer. Honda normally supply 2 teams, who else will they pick up?

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 3:51

The current regulations make it almost impossible to make an uncompetitive engine.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 12th March 2013, 4:05

I guess we’ll have to wait and see on that. I know that even now the current engines seem to have performance parity but there are minor differences. Take reliability for example. I’ve read comments on this site suggesting that reliability may take a nosedive next year when the engines get real world application. Honda might bungle it in 2015 and we’ll have McLaren with a competitive engine but terrible reliability while the other engines reliability improves having a full season under their belts.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 12th March 2013, 15:07

@hohum – the regulations don’t stop any manufacturer making an uncompetitive engine, the difference is that annual updates can be applied over time to remove any major disparity so if Honda didn’t get it right first time they should be competitive within a few years.

I think the important point here is that Honda will have a further year to get it right, whilst the other manufacturers have a deadline one year sooner. Honda may have the benefit of seeing a range of other engines in action to help understand the relative importance of different aspects of the engine under the new formula.

It makes much more sense for them to enter a year or two after the new regulations are introduced and take advantage of a situation which the current manufacturers can’t afford to.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 15:37

@jerseyF1, since the regulations stipulate the 90deg. V6 layout, bore and stroke, 4 poppet valves, single turbocharger etc.etc. and a fixed fuel supply curve, I find it highly unlikely that a company with Hondas design experience could not design an engine that burnt the available fuel as efficiently as any other engine manufacturer. Honda already have a 250cc per cylinder 18,000 rpm 90 deg V4 NA MotoGP engine that is currently the cream of the crop, for them to make a 266.666cc per cylinder 15,000 rpm 90 deg V6 Turbo engine using knowledge gained from their MotoGP engine would be a very simple and quick design excercise.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 12th March 2013, 17:03

@hohum
            I’ve got to agree with that, Honda make amazing engines and with the experience they’ve got I’d be very surprised if they weren’t right on the pace straight away.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 12th March 2013, 20:11

@hohum I’m not an expert on engine design, but wouldn’t they base the new V6 on their existing knowledge from the F1 V8 engines rather than a quite different bike engine design?

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 20:41

@jerseyf1, I am not familiar with thedetails of the current F1 engines but they have a 300cc cylinder capacity for a start and an 18000 rpm limit, nearly all engine designs start with a single cylinder prototype to test how the gasses flow and I suspect the bore of the V8s is substantially bigger than the 80mm bore of the new V6s, the Honda MotoGP engine has a bore of 81mm so is much closer to the new engine and since it will be a lower rpm motor a slightly longer stroke should not be a problem.

7. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 12th March 2013, 1:39

I guess that happens (or used to happen) to some extent with Alonso in the UK. The thing is Alonso is Spain’s ONLY star. F1 had very little following before him. So anyone that spoils their kid’s life is generally looked as a villian. In the UK they’ve been watching F1 since the very first race, so they are more… erm… experienced? in what they see.

I remember watching the 2008 Valencian GP, and it was all AlonsoAlonsoAlonsoAlonsoAlonsoAlonsoAlonso in the broadcast. And after he retired on the first lap, everyone left the table and did sommething else, cuz it was “unfair”. I have many friends over there, and most of them (not all ofc) are very very fans of Alonso, and it’s understandable, really.

It’s like asking who’s better, Schumacher or Fangio to an argentinean.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 12th March 2013, 2:18

Good point, in Spain Alonso is the only real F1 star so it makes sense they would hate anyone that would get in his way, especially his team mate and a rookie! But I can definitely see same situation happening in other countries, can you imagine if Button made life difficult like that to Pérez? the Mexican GP wouldn’t be is favorite that’s for sure :)

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 2:52

The’re a bit funny about Francis Drake as well.

• ME4ME (@me4me) said on 12th March 2013, 7:41

They must’ve really hated Hamiltion in Brazil, back in 2011^^

• Girts (@girts) said on 12th March 2013, 7:43

I think that loving a driver doesn’t necessarily mean hating his fiercest rival. I don’t think I have ever really hated any driver.

If Hamilton really said that (you have to be careful with anything that appears in tabloids), it’s an unfortunate choice of words. For sure, F1 fans are passionate people and a part of Alonso fans probably really hate his biggest rivals (I doubt if they love Vettel more than Hamilton though). But one shouldn’t insult the majority of fans that respect the drivers they don’t cheer for, too. And I’m not even mentioning the Spaniards that either are Hamilton fans or love the sport more than they love Alonso.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 12th March 2013, 12:16

@girts many of us like or respectfully hate (or “don’t like”) certain drivers, but there’s a lot of fanboys out there. Fanboys tend to happen more in a country with only one star, a guy that changed the sport in that certain country forever.

Not to mention the racism he suffered a while back in Barcelona.

I don’t think what Hamilton says is far from truth, and I don’t think he chose the wrong words to describe it. It’s what it is…

• Zagal (@zagal) said on 12th March 2013, 13:48

Im a Spaniard and I think Hamilton is one of the best drivers and I love all the spice he adds to the “show”. The sports would be much more less interesting if he were out of the sport. I think that F1 fans here in Spain we have learned to appreciate Hamilton’s skills. Is people who don’t really follow F1 (just show up when Alonso is winning) who are still fixed in Hamilton-hating. So basically I agree with Hamilton’s headline: you either love or hate him ;-)

• I agree. Here in Spain, most F1 fans have stopped hating Hamilton, and appreciate his skill.

• “Is people who don’t really follow F1 (just show up when Alonso is winning) who are still fixed in Hamilton-hating.”

This.

I’m English, and my ex gf is Spanish, she is a non F1 fan but had a hatred for Hamilton! which i think came from all the negative media between him and alonso in 2007. But when she took me to my first race in 2009, the Spanish fans seemed to give Hamilton good responses after the race on the slow-down lap, and we was sat in ‘alonsos stand’ after turn 7-8 chicane

• Tom (@newdecade) said on 13th March 2013, 1:09

I remember the volume of cheers that went up when Hamilton retired so close to the end in Spain 2010.

8. Yappy said on 12th March 2013, 1:47

Button will be pleased.

9. Nick.UK (@) said on 12th March 2013, 2:12

Why is it that Australia in particular, year on year, have to make a drama of the cost of their race and state how each year the current race could be the last blah blah… It’s not like the stands are empty in Australia, there is a huge following and a great show is put on regardless of the cost. Plus, it’s not like it’s easy for anyone to get to being so far out in the sticks! (Compared to the rest of the world that is).

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 12th March 2013, 2:31

@nick-uk Because they love to stir the pot. The majority of people either a) Enjoy the Grand Prix too much to care about the cost or b) Just generally don’t care.
      It’s just the media generating stories, usually correlating to whining Victorian politicians or a few locals who have to leave for the weekend when the race is on or can’t “sail on the lake”.

It’s a guaranteed story every year for the newspapers anyway. But it bores the bejesus out of everyone.

• hamster said on 12th March 2013, 2:40

Living in Australia it is safe to say that as much as they have a go about ‘whinging poms’ the average Australian has the ability to drone on more than a jet engine about absolutely nothing.

Its not that I don’t want to understand their concerns more that I just don’t care.

They waste so much money here subsidising a car industry making vehicles no one wants to buy that spending a bit more on the GP makes no real difference.

I enjoy the GP here and at $99 for a child ticket up to 4 days in a grand stand its family friendly too.

Keep it up Melbourne, a great city and a great GP.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 12th March 2013, 2:42

I think that price tag does worth some outrage…

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 2:58

@nick-uk, I don’t remember the Govt of England offering Silverstone 23million quid when they were a bit short. How happy would the English taxpayer be to pay 23 million quid to have V8 supercars come over for a race?

• Nick.UK (@) said on 12th March 2013, 11:18

@hohum Well that’s not quite the same, Formula 1 is a global sport and we have a number of British drivers, successful ones at that. the V8s are an iscolated, purely Australian series which we have no ties to.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 12:50

@nick-uk, Apart from the word “Global” you could re-write your response from the average Australians point of view and it would be equally valid. F1 is based in the UK mostly, V8sc are based in Australia mostly, we havea couple of drivers in F1 also but many Australians are not interested in any motorsport and it has been a long time since anything for F1 has been manufactured here.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 5:26

I wouldn’t read too much into it. The Victorian government has undergone a change in leadership this past week, which the media see as their opportunity to put pressue on the premier to abandon the race.

• It’s some media outlet that likes to speak for all of Australia, even though they are just the vocal minority.

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 12th March 2013, 22:47

Because we have the laziest journalists in the world. Just drag up last year’s copy and change the dates and numbers, run it again then off to lunch. You should check the lack of news coverage of the event on Channel 10, the people who actually have the national rights to the broadcast, virtually nothing. Yesterday we had Ricciardo on a boat – that was the extent of the coverage. Cripes!

10. Tyler (@tdog) said on 12th March 2013, 2:21

Because we are a democracy with a vigorous press, becasue the fee is significant and the race runs at a loss each year despite the excellent attendance.. I think the cost is worth it, and the race clearly is popular with those who attend.

So I support the cost, but I also support the right of those to question whether the significant public subsidy is justified. Of course, in places like Bahrain you won’t see the press ask questions like this, but that’s a different issue…

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 12th March 2013, 22:50

Agreed but that vigorous press should have a look at the cost to the tax payer of almost all arts festivals. Sure, they don’t soak up 35 mill at a time but they certainly don’t make money.

11. JCost (@jcost) said on 12th March 2013, 2:45

So McLaren really wants to “get rid” of Mercedes? Ok,word in the streets is engines are not that important this days so I guess they will do well.

• NickTheGeek (@nickthegeek) said on 12th March 2013, 10:15

IIRC the new contract(s) between Mclaren and Merc are not as they used to be. I believe Mclaren are to become just another customer rarther than a works(ish) team. In a nutshell Merc want paying more.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 12th March 2013, 11:07

Mercedes have their own engines as do Ferrari. Red Bull are Renault’s “first” team so McLaren risk being left behind.

I would imagine any potential deal with Honda would involve them being treated as the preferencial customer with a sponsorship package to do with it. Honda don’t want a full blown F1 team but they’d love to have a car with their logo on winning races again.

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 2:47

I think people are going to get a bit carried away with these McLaren-Honda stories. Take, for instance, the opening line of the Autosport story:

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has left the door open for a switch to Honda engines in 2015 after refusing to confirm that it will continue with Mercedes beyond next season.

Of course Whitmarsh isn’t going to commit to Mercedes in the long term! As has been well-documented, 2014 will see a new set of engine regulations. Why would McLaren commit to a Mercedes engine supply in the long term when they haven’t tested the next generation of Mercedes’ engines? It’s madness; after all, the engines might be terrible, and there is no way anyone in their right mind would commit to using them for the foreseeable future before they’ve had a chance to assess them.

Similarly, look at the next line of the story:

They can plan all they want, but any engine they develop will again be subject to rigorous testing before anyone agrees to use them. Of course, the risk is greater for Honda, since they’re the ones who need to invest the money, but they’re going to have to demonstrate that they can produce an excellent engine. The RA808E engine was medicore to say the least (which wasn’t helped by the way the RA107 and RA108 chassis were seemingly designed to have the drag coefficient of a brick), but they’ll be up against Mercedes, when the FO108Z engine is arguably the best on the grid.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this story develops, but I’m not counting on seeing a McLaren-Honda reunification in 2015, whatever some anonymous source says.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 3:56

As you quite rightly point out,the door has been left open for any (or no) engine, Briggs and Stratton maybe.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 12th March 2013, 7:13

@prisoner-monkeys Hate to burst your bubble, but I think McLaren-Honda is 2015 is pretty much done and dusted. It’s just a matter of crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s. There is no rush in announcing this – it’s not for another two years yet, and Mercedes won’t be too happy when this is confirmed, so might as well minimize the pain period.

In any case, if I were McLaren, I’d love to have Honda onboard and have a direct say in how that engine would be developed – something they wouldn’t be able to do at Mercedes. 2014 resets the engine game, so any advantage now would be irrelevant then. One can argue that by waiting until 2015, Honda can observe what the other manufacturers do and avoid some of the mistakes they would make in Year 1.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 7:37

It’s just a matter of crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s.

Maybe – but there is still plenty that can go wrong there.

• Jencen said on 12th March 2013, 9:22

Yeah. Like using the wrong colour crayon for Ron Dennis’s liking ^_~

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th March 2013, 12:15

I agree with you here @prisoner-monkeys. In the world we live in, its even possible that Honda builds an engine, even puts it on the testbed, or even install it in a McLaren and find it should work perfectly, and even the financial side gets prepared nicely and to everyones good feelings, but still the Honda board (or McLaren board even) decide not to take the risk.

13. tmax (@tmax) said on 12th March 2013, 4:05

@kcollantine I must admit, I was a little surprised with your title confirming (all though in quotes) the Honda engines in McLaren for 2015. as @prisoner-monkeys pointed out the opening sentences of either of the article does not explicitly state the fact. My surprise was that usually i have not seen you speculate on the rumor mills unless it is a concrete news. So is it a change of strategy of 2013 or is there some insider news that confirms this upcoming event :)

I feel McLaren is playing hard ball with Mercedes. Mclaren indeed had some legacy with Honda but Mercedes has been their partner for the last 15 years. I would say a known devil is better than an unknown angel. McLaren knows that Mercedes do not want to lose them because they receive a lot of mileage from the McLaren name. what is the guarantee that Honda engines are going to be super hit off the blocks ? they are out of the F1 business for a few years now. agreed they are the leading supplier of engines to Indy car, F1 is a slightly different ball game. anyway good thing for Fans like us. keeps the speculation on and the interests growing.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 12th March 2013, 4:08

Oops Typo…. I meant @keithcollantine above.

• Girts (@girts) said on 12th March 2013, 7:20

@tmax I don’t see anything wrong with the title. This is a direct quote from the AUTOSPORT article:

Honda sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that it plans to return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier to McLaren.

Yes, it’s not an official statement, which is why quotation marks are used. But it definitely should be treated as ‘insider news’.

Switching to Honda engines would be a risk for McLaren but there is no guarantee that the new Mercedes engines will be good, too. Moreover, McLaren are not Mercedes’ first team anymore, whereas they would be Honda’s number one customer team.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th March 2013, 8:18

@tmax @reg I’m not speculating, the headline points out it’s referring to a report through its use of inverted commas.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 12th March 2013, 8:27

@tmax Considering that Keith’s headline only really relates to the sensationalist claims made by other motor sport media, that’s not really a fair point.
      I’ve always found Keith’s blog to be the last media outlet to jump on any speculative rumour or “story”, rather than squeezing any “rumour-juice” out of a nothing story like so many of the others do.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 12th March 2013, 10:55

By putting confirms in inverted commas Keith made it pretty clear that nothing has really been confirmed.

14. codesurge (@codesurge) said on 12th March 2013, 4:29

I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing Hamilton, but isn’t a museum to show off your trophies something you’d want to do once you’ve retired from the sport? Not something I would expect an active driver to do.

15. Lauri (@f1lauri) said on 12th March 2013, 5:10

One possibility is that McLaren will push Honda to get into F1 for 2014 to get experience and then join Honda for 2015 or 2016. So we’ll probably see Marussia Honda team (or whatever there’s left of Marussia) in 2014!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th March 2013, 5:14

I think you’ll find that it will be near-impossible for Honda to join in 2014 – they won’t have enough time to get their engines ready. Anything they do will be rushed, and very probably a poor product. All of this amounts to commercial suicide because Honda won’t be able to get any customers in 2015 if they run in 2014 with a poor engine.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th March 2013, 12:19

I would say they wouldn’t even want to try 2014, because its far easier to see first what does work and not work on track to learn from that and come with an engine based on the best practice rather than just give it a shot in the dark, like the now active engine suppliers are having to do.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 12th March 2013, 13:02

@bascb, the rules for the internal combustion engine are so tight and the revs/power output so low (fuel flow) that any experienced engine maker should have absolutely no problem making a competitive engine, any advantages or disadvantages would be subtle and probably less evident than across the current engines.