Maldonado: Williams are “back to three years ago”

2013 Australian Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Melbourne, 2013Pastor Maldonado said Williams have gone backwards after being eliminated during Q1 for the Australian Grand Prix.

“I think we’re back to three years ago condition in the team,” said Maldonado. “We need to work very hard to solve the problems.”

“The car is undriveable at the moment. We need to work very and see.”

Maldonado’s words are in contrast to his pre-season optimism when he described the FW35 as the best car he’d had.

“The track is completely different, the conditions, everything. For any reason we didn’t adapt our car to this track in whatever the conditions is,” he said today.

“On the wet we were slow, on the dry as well so we’ll see the pace for tomorrow seems to be much better but [qualifying] pace is really bad.”

Team mate Valtteri Bottas made it through to Q2, which will be held tomorrow morning due to a rain delay.

2013 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

44 comments on Maldonado: Williams are “back to three years ago”

1. Maciek (@maciek) said on 16th March 2013, 13:25

Maldonado taking a cue from Chavez’s brand of public relations: if something goes wrong, it must be everybody else’s fault. To think about it for a moment, maybe this highlights one facet of the pay driver debate that’s not touched on normally – would someone whose place in the team depended solely on performance feel entitled to make those comments?

2. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 16th March 2013, 13:39

Bit ironic that Pastor is blaming the team for the performance when he has crashed and ruined so many races for Williams last year. I didn’t see Frank Williams coming out and blaming him last year. He is lucky to have a seat and shows how selfish he is

3. rabbit (@rabbit) said on 16th March 2013, 13:58

Quoting Kieth’s article -

Maldonado described the car as being “completely different” to last year’s FW34. “This car seems to be more easy to drive, but easy doesn’t mean quick.”

4. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 16th March 2013, 13:59

This is utterly preposterous. He didn’t get a clean lap on the inters; what the hell was he expecting? Pole? He has already mentioned getting another win this year, and I think the win has gone to his head, and I don’t think that it has clicked that he may never win a race ever again. Actually all of Maldonado’s comments regarding the FW35 have been a bit weird. At first it was “a great car that can challenge the top teams”, secondly it was the tyres’ fault and now it’s as bad as the FW33. I actually have the sidepod bodywork and a rear wing end plate from the FW33 hanging on my walls, and it looks so good that I think that the car was actually designed with that very purpose in mind. It seems clear to me that FW35 is not merely fit to be displayed on the walls of London apartments, I just think they, rather like McLaren, have departed rather too far from their 2012 car, and have been a bit too ambitious. However, I think they still look better than Toro Rosso and seem to be on par with Sauber, so its hardly a disaster of 2011 proportions. I know I’m attributing the villain looks and poor English, but Maldonado does seem to be rather academically challenged (ahem…thick…), and he seems to be thinking that wins could become a fairly regular occurance with Williams, although perhaps a simpler explanation for this outburst can be found on page 1 of the racing driver’s excuses handbook: “I mucked up, so it’s the car’s fault.”

5. Mads (@mads) said on 16th March 2013, 15:22

So when the team makes a very good car and then gives it to the hands of two under performing drivers they should say nothing to avoid upsetting their drivers. Then when the team has trouble with the car after just three practice sessions of the year and one of the three qualifying sessions, Maldonardo comes up with this crap? The guy even crashed and got out qualified by his rookie team mate who did make it through to Q2.
    What a disgusting attitude!

6. C.J. (@theseeker411) said on 16th March 2013, 15:43

Meanwhile, in the back of an Aston Martin racing trailer, Bruno Senna is laughing at Maldina-doh!

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 16th March 2013, 15:43

Talk about Maldonado all you want, but I got a sweet spot for him: my son is 3 since december and when he saw that Williams, he spontaneously yelled: ‘Maldonado!’

8. Liam Stroud (@comabvbsixx) said on 16th March 2013, 15:55

I don’t get where these comments are from, in the BBC cut all he said was.

“The car is slow.”

9. PortugueseFan said on 16th March 2013, 17:45

http://www.joseinacio.com/2012/12/tensao-na-williams.html – Last year i read this (portuguese) , which kinda prepared me for what is happening

10. David (@neiana) said on 16th March 2013, 18:18

Meanwhile, telemetry reports coming in from the car report that Maldanado is “undriveable”.

11. ken tali (@ohvitser20) said on 16th March 2013, 18:47

Williams going back to launch spec.Seems like they already did something wrong with developing the car for the first race.Doesn´t sound good at all.

12. Palle (@palle) said on 16th March 2013, 19:28

I see some on-track talent and also the courage to make bold moves, mistakes and learn from them and try to improve, but I don’t think this kind of of-track mistake = ******* in your own nest publicly, is as easily discarded as a young drivers mistake on his way up the grid.
    But if You wanted to make the dĂ©but in F1 difficult for the rookies You probably couldn’t have started of better.

13. Jarv F150 (@jarvf150) said on 16th March 2013, 20:04

Yep just seen Q1, the car looks very very bad at the moment.

At the point the Williams (I forget who) was being followed by Vettel it looked to be loosing the rear end and going wide while the Red Bull was on rails.

14. Alex (@sheogorath) said on 17th March 2013, 2:07

Nice to see the site’s comments has again reached its typical levels of anti-Pastor drivel.