2013 Australian Grand Prix grid

20. Max Chilton 1’48.909
Marussia
Row 11 21. Giedo van der Garde 1’49.519
Caterham
22. Charles Pic 1’50.626*
Caterham

*Outside 107% time, will need stewards’ dispensation to start the race.

2013 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Australian Grand Prix articles

70 comments on 2013 Australian Grand Prix grid

1. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 17th March 2013, 0:39

Crap, the Red Bull even more dominant now than in 2011.

2. Thomas (@smashnfanatic) said on 17th March 2013, 0:39

Damn, RB again! Man the race better be wet as hell or RB could run away with it ala 2011. But, race pace maybe in others favor (Lotus, Ferrari)?

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 17th March 2013, 1:06

I actually hope the race is dry at the start. Vettel’s options looked destroyed, and he’ll have to start the race on those if dry.

Nevertheless, damn the Red Bull looked as planted as a house on the ground. Not even the slightest sign of needed steering corrections.

I’m hoping that tomorrow, the race starts dry and turns wet, where the drivers can make a difference.

• David (@neiana) said on 17th March 2013, 4:39

So you want to see Nico and Vergne at the top while the rest all a mixed jumble of jenga? Watching the quali showed me Seb has lost his rain racing or his car simply wasn’t set up for it – but he’s often one of the best. Ham is nowhere near good in the wet in the quali session and he often hasn’t been that great in the rain anyway.

I’m just curious who people think the wet racers are, these days. The old good ones lost their touch (Seb, Ham, Button)

3. tmax (@tmax) said on 17th March 2013, 0:39

Season Underway Time to Break Massa’s Gear Box Seal :)

4. Eggry (@eggry) said on 17th March 2013, 0:40

exactly what I have feared. Red Bull run away, other teams killing each other…another 2011?

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 17th March 2013, 1:27

@eggry How exactly? Lewis in the dry was only .5 off of Vettel in wet Nico was a second faster than everyone.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 17th March 2013, 1:30

don’t forget Vettel made 2 mistakes on his lap at the first and the last corners , he maybe have another 2 or 3 tenth in his bag

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 17th March 2013, 1:32

@magillagorilla Vettel and Webber made a mistake on their fastest lap. They could have been clear 1sec+ ahead of Hamilton easily. Also wet pace is not usuful enough to challenge Red Bull for season long.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 17th March 2013, 1:46

@eggry And since we are doing the game of mistakes let’s also not forget that Lewis had gone out a lap earlier than the RBRs, thus we don’t know his full potential in the dry. Also I think Webber could have smashed Vettel if he hadn’t made his mistake. And did I ever say that wet pace is enough to challenge the season? No but considering that only a handful of tracks are usually under dry conditions, Melbourne usually being one of them, if Merc GP can maintain a close gap in the dry and fast wet pace, they will do just fine. Also this is Quali the race hasn’t started, the people jumping up and down saying RBR are going to run away with it before the flag drops is somewhat annoying.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 17th March 2013, 1:49

Also let’s not forget about Nico making a mistake, who is to say that his pace is only based on wet conditions, he was on route to be up there with the top 3. Overall I’m a bit upset that Webber didn’t get pole, I really wanted to see him get it at his home track in what may be his last year.

5. pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 17th March 2013, 0:41

Webber shows the pace of the car, awesome Vettel makes the difference. Nice one Lewis too.

6. Calum (@calum) said on 17th March 2013, 0:41

I just hope the Mercedes isn’t like the 2009 BMW…

7. Welcome to McLaren, Sergio…

Apart from that I’d say it’s all the usual suspects in their places (or at least as shown in the past couple of days), apart from Di Resta being a bit of an intruder in the top 10.

I’m expecting Vettel to make this one a comfortable win right from the start, unless more rain is on the way or the tyres decide to act up.

• Adam86 said on 17th March 2013, 0:45

Hamilton was further clear in last year’s qualy, and finished 3rd.

• Hamilton didn’t / doesn’t drive a Red Bull. But yeah, everything’s still possible, I don’t deny that. It’s all about the long runs on the Pirellis today though. If the RB9’s race pace is nearly as good as what we just saw on the mediums and they manage to keep tyre degradation under control, I can’t imagine a different scenario other than a Red Bull 1-2.

• Adam86 said on 17th March 2013, 0:54

How long is the run to the first corner? The Merc is quicker off the line and quicker at top speed, so there is plenty of scope for stuff to happen early on – I would say I almost expect Hamilton to pass Webber at the start to be honest.

• I expect Lewis to maybe pass both Vettel and Webber at the start. MAYBE. What I don’t expect him is to stay there for the remainder of the GP.

• …nor for more than the first stint, for that matter.

• Blackmamba (@blackmamba) said on 17th March 2013, 1:23

Actually the Ferraris have better launch than all the cars in front of them, and with Massa and Lewis so close together there could be mayhem into the first corner.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 17th March 2013, 1:32

Though I support Lewis and Rosberg, I really hope Webber wins since I’m looking at the bigger picture.

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th March 2013, 0:42

Sebastian Vettel leads a Red Bull front row lockout for the first race of 2013.

Ugh.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 17th March 2013, 0:59

(@prisoner-monkeys) +1. Considering writing off this season already.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th March 2013, 1:27

I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt because of the disrupted session and the way the track dried out, but I really don’t want to go through another season of that bloody finger and smirk, or qualifying sessions that are fought tooth and nail until Vettel cruises out at the last minute and makes everyone look silly by lazily taking pole by half a second.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 17th March 2013, 1:36

(@prisoner-monkeys) I’ll give this season a few races, but if I have to witness the smirk/finger more than once or twice I’m going back to my classic 80s/90s races instead, or spending my sundays with freinds. I’m hoping you’re right about the disruption, considering neither RB driver even did a particularly tidy lap, it may be rather ominous for the race.

• David (@neiana) said on 17th March 2013, 4:44

Everyone hates a constant winner. Let’s be serious, Alonso was the most hated man while he was easily winning and now that he’s fighting for it he’s “one of the best”. Same for Schumi’s era and I promise you Vettel will be the same. At some point he will not have the fastest car and will still fight for wins and people will realized he’s “one of the best”. I have a dislike for Hamilton because of HIS smug face during his less stressful years and a lot of his antics last year but he’s been in poor cars and still manage to race well.

9. Adam86 said on 17th March 2013, 0:42

Now time to discover which cars can get off the line efficiently this year.

Hamilton has 10ks on the red bull in a straight line, and if the Merc can start like it did last year, this could still be a very interesting race.

10. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 17th March 2013, 0:43

Not bad, not bad at all.

11. liam (@) said on 17th March 2013, 0:43

It’s a nice change for once.

12. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 17th March 2013, 0:43

Vettel Gear Solid: Revengance

13. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 17th March 2013, 0:45

Well…. that was disappointing. :(

14. mskii (@mskii) said on 17th March 2013, 0:46

2013 WC: Vettel

15. LexBlair (@lexblair) said on 17th March 2013, 0:46

Unfortunately for McLaren the track dried up for Q3. Button looked fairly competitive on interns.
    Was also sad to see Rosberg making a mistake when it counted the most. I feel it should have been him up there… Anyway, a nice showing from Massa and great lap by Vettel (and Newey:)