Di Resta feels “robbed of seventh place”

2013 Australian Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Melbourne, 2013Paul di Resta said he was pleased Force India scored seventh and eighth place in the Australian Grand Prix but believed he should have been the driver in seventh place.

“I feel a bit robbed of a seventh place given the way our strategy was and where I was in the final stages of that Grand Prix,” he said after the race.

Di Resta finished behind team mate Adrian Sutil who was struggling with his super-soft tyres in the final stint.

“Seventh and eighth for the team is quite good it’s just a shame really we got stuck behind Jenson [Button] on a three-stop at the beginning of my second stint. And essentially that’s what loses you a lot of track position.”

However he said the car’s performance and how easy it was on its tyres gave him optimism for next week’s race at Sepang. “We’ve got some things we need to pick up on, definitely improvements, but we’ve come here with quite a strong car.”

“Already we can do a stop less than some cars so relatively hopeful for a high degradation place like Malaysia that we can hopefully go there and do something positive again.”

2013 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

90 comments on Di Resta feels “robbed of seventh place”

1 2 3
  1. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 17th March 2013, 8:25

If he wanted the seventh place he should’ve taken it.

A great race for Sutil, it’s a real shame they put the super-softs under him or he might’ve been higher.

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th March 2013, 8:26

If we go by that thinking, should Sutil feel “robbed of 3rd” because the team pitted him earlier than proved the way to go in afterthoughts? Lame excused already from Di Resta then.

Didn’t he start from 9th. Sutil from 12th, but did the more impressive job.

• Aditya Fakhri Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 17th March 2013, 8:35

he’s not reffering to Sutil’s but his own-given strategy which cost him time with another midfielder.
      if Di Resta wanted the reverse strategy like Sutil, he should sat out in Q3.

• David not Coulthard (@) said on 17th March 2013, 9:13

should Sutil feel “robbed of 3rd”

Perhaps, but I think he’ll appropiately keep silent about it.

@adityafakhri But hindsight’s just so awesome, isn’t it?

• mhop (@mhop) said on 17th March 2013, 15:42

@bascb
      Di Resta isn’t referring to strategy as much as the fact that he was given team orders not to pass Sutil in the closing laps despite being 2 seconds a lap faster than him.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th March 2013, 17:28

In my opinion it doesn’t change all that much @mhop. I would think its more logical if we would hear Sutil “complain” they made the wrong strategy call by calling him in for SS tyres when they did than for Di Resta to complain about holding station in the last stages of the race.

I can understand why he is not too impressed by it, but that is no reason whatsoever to talk about being robbed if a place. In the end Sutil regained a bit of pace after 2 laps, the team needed both to finish and DiResta could be a bit of a rear guard for Sutil against the likes of Button, Grosjean and Vergne who were not that far behind.

3. Victor. (@victor) said on 17th March 2013, 8:26

The whining begins.

4. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 17th March 2013, 8:28

Expected nothing else from the man whose mouth moves quicker than his right foot..

5. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th March 2013, 8:29

He went on about this twice. Seriously, I don’t get what he is on about.

He was up against Sutil as a rookie and got beaten by him, Hulkenberg came into the team and beat him and now Sutil has come back after hardly any testing and completely out performed him.

Di Resta should only be annoyed at himself for being completely overshadowed by his team mate… again.

6. Nick.UK (@) said on 17th March 2013, 8:30

Di’Resta should just shut up and congratulate his team mate for putting in a camera time worthy performance… unlike himself.

• Kimi4WDC said on 17th March 2013, 8:38

Camera time worthy performance – I like it!

Sutil did great.

Many drivers wrecked their tyres by setting times right after they pitted.

• mhop (@mhop) said on 17th March 2013, 15:39

@nick-uk @tommyb89
      The usual ignorant comments on here about di Resta.

Di Resta is obviously disappointed because he was given team orders not to overtake Sutil in the closing laps despite being 2 seconds a lap faster than him. I thought people on here were usually against team orders?

How people can say he was ‘outperformed’ by Sutil this weekend is ridiculous. He made Q3, outqualified Sutil by 1.2 seconds, and without team orderrs would have beaten him in the race despite a heavily compromsed strategy. Unfortunately we have a lot of people on here that only comprehend what the TV cameras show them and little else.

What is more the irony of people moaning and whining about someone else supposedly moaning and whining never ceases to amaze.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 17th March 2013, 20:25

@mhop

Welcome to the internet…

7. Armchair Expert (@armchairexpert) said on 17th March 2013, 8:31

Is it only me or di Resta always paints himself as a victim of something or someone?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th March 2013, 8:44

@armchairexpert – Personally, I think Paul di Resta is far too concerned with the future than he is with the present. He always goes out of his way to explain how his poor results weren’t really his fault, and I think he does it because he wants team principals to look on him favourably so that he can get a better seat in the future.

• andrew simmons said on 17th March 2013, 9:11

Yes. I call it the ‘Jenson Button syndrome’ after his constant ‘balance, tyres, oversteer, understeer or graining’ complaints. Even when he wins he makes out it was the hardest thing since resurrecting Christ himself.

• Anonymouse said on 17th March 2013, 10:30

You are not alone. DiResta should have been an ambassador in his past life

8. Coronis (@coronis) said on 17th March 2013, 8:32

So sick of his whining. Wah I was overlooked by Ferrari/McLaren etc. even though I was beaten by both my teammates. Wah I was robbed of 7th even though my teammate raced far better than me.

9. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 17th March 2013, 8:38

Aw, come on. It’s always someone else’s fault, isn’t it?

10. TMF (@tmf42) said on 17th March 2013, 8:38

DiResta sounds like he thinks he’s entitled to more. Not just now but also last year when he voiced his disappointment over not getting a seat in a “better” team.

11. synapseza (@synapseza) said on 17th March 2013, 8:38

Why is it always someone/something else Paul?

12. Well, it’s quite understandable for Di Resta to crack down, right? After all this is the 3rd year in a row when he’ll probably get shredded to pieces by his team mate (the same who did it in 2011). That can’t help his “make a better team notice me campaign”.

I’d be furious too…

13. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 17th March 2013, 8:40

back to his old habit. Always whining. Either blames the team, other drivers or conditions

14. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th March 2013, 8:46

Meanwhile, Adrian Sutil is probably feeling a bit robbed of a possible third place finish. Seventh place is a pretty poor consolation prize given his performance throughout the race. Nevertheless, he did a lot more to earn that seventh place than Paul di Resta did, so I find myself totally without sympathy for di Resta missing out.

15. David-A (@david-a) said on 17th March 2013, 8:47

I was genuinely shocked when I saw the headline. He feels robbed of 7th? More like he could have stolen 7th for himself, but didn’t.

I think F3 and DTM success went to his head, and he hasn’t improved significantly enough since he came into the sport to get the top drive he feels he deserves.

1 2 3