Hulkenberg gets new chassis for Malaysia

F1 Fanatic round-up

Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber, Melbourne, 2013In the round-up: Nico Hulkenberg will have a new chassis for the Malaysian Grand Prix following the fuel system problem which kept him from starting the Australian Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Preview ?ǣ 2013 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix (Sauber)

[Nico] Hulkenberg’s Sauber C32 was sent back to Hinwil and will be examined thoroughly. He will start with a new chassis in Malaysia.”

Alonso not expecting early win (Sky)

“It will be a surprise to be honest if we win one of the first races. It will be welcome for sure, but we need some strange conditions – maybe like last year in Malaysia, rain or something. But in normal conditions I think the podium is more or less the maximum target we have to ask [for].”

Ferrari fears windtunnel disruption (Autosport)

Nikolas Tombazis: “The sooner [it was done] the better and we decided to do it notwithstanding the fact that there is the 2013/2014 pressure.”

McLaren are running out of time (The Telegraph)

David Coulthard: “Over the next three races in Malaysia, China and Bahrain, they need to start understanding what the problem is. If it is a fundamental issue, then they need to make sure, come the Spanish Grand Prix in May, that they have the requisite parts to maximise the potential. The general rule is that by the fifth race, when the teams come to Europe, you start to see the true pecking order emerging.”

Torotrak takes stake in Flybrid (FT, registration required)

“Technology developed to cut fuel use by Formula 1 cars could soon debut in buses and trucks after Torotrak, the UK engineering group, took a stake in Flybrid, a pioneer of the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), and renewed its licensing deal with Allison Transmission of the US.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Do the best F1 drivers have great natural ability or are they at the top because they worked hard?

Myths are often sexy, some even romantic, but they are myths nonetheless. I don?t believe in “innate talent”. It?s not appealing to me at all.

I see it as a pretty idea to make lazy people feel better about themselves. “If only I had a talent” sounds better that “if only I worked harder”.

I think that natural predisposition is a tiny, negligible factor. I respect drivers not because of their “talent”, but because of their hard work, skill and dedication.
@MaroonJack

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Girts!

On this day in F1

Five years ago today BBC announced they would take over the rights to broadcast F1 in the UK from ITV as of 2009.

However they renegotiated their contract just three years into it and now broadcast only half the races live each year.

Image ?? Sauber

89 comments on Hulkenberg gets new chassis for Malaysia

1. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 20th March 2013, 8:07

Let me add some support to @MaroonJack ‘s comment.

“Innate talent” is just an excuse lazy people give for their lack of success. Because it is just difficult to accept that it is YOU who has failed by not putting enough hard work. It is easy to pass the blame to GOD and say that He didn’t give you innate talent.

I have been through college and corporate life enough and I can tell you, everyone who has reached here is through hard work, not talent. Because simply put, no human being is talented enough to excel in every field without hard work. He or she has to put in hard work in areas he or she is not good at. And unless you put that hard work, you cannot reach the top (be it motorsports or life).

2. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 20th March 2013, 9:33

So I guess that means that Alonso thinks he will win the Malaysian GP.

3. Brny666 said on 20th March 2013, 10:38

Reading COTD and then comments… There seems to be an abudance of lazy people around. (Careful this comment was meant tongue in cheek!)

4. kimrogue (@kimrogue) said on 20th March 2013, 11:13

On COTD: One thing I notice is that, all arguments here seem to assume that anybody regardless of their talent can work hard. The way I see it, a strong work ethic’s a talent in itself. Some have it in spades, others just don’t. I also think that measuring the importance of work ethic (which is a talent, in my book) in general, without referring to a specific field, is pointless. Its impact on one’s performance depends largely on the field of application. Since I am from India, I have had the opportunity to witness intense competition at all levels. I can safely say that folks with a talent for work ethic can shine in a large majority of areas but there are areas where they have no shot in a million years.

5. Dev (@dev) said on 20th March 2013, 11:20

Had Hulk not changed teams could he have fought for the top 3 positions? quiet likely…

6. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 20th March 2013, 12:08

COTD is great!! I am a musician and when I give performances I am always bemused when people say things like “I wish I could play an instrument” or “I wouldn’t know where to start, you’re so talented”. In my opinion, talent is irrelevant until you have mastered the tools of your trade. In music talent only comes into the equation when you have established a comprehnsive techincial working knowledge of the instrument so that the operation of the instrument becomes second nature. Only then can you express your own style and interpretation, develop your own sounds and techniques and write interesting original music. You move the mechanics of operating the instrument into the subconscious part of your brain and then your mind starts to do all sorts of interesting things sound knowing that your hands will know what to do with your thoughts. Of course some people will have better ideas than others but that is down to interpretation. This “talent” stuff to me is the ability develop beyond the mechanical limitations of the instrument and can only occur as a fruit of countless hours of toil beforehand.

7. katederby (@katederby) said on 20th March 2013, 15:37

So what the COTD is saying is that with hard work we could all become Alonso, Messi or Nadal or presumably if we work really, really hard, all three.

8. katederby (@katederby) said on 20th March 2013, 15:48

I meant to add… that’s not to say hard work isn’t important. The 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert is still a valid principle but to get from the top 100 in your field, where everyone has worked hard, to the top 10 you need that something extra.

9. James (@jaymz) said on 20th March 2013, 15:52

Keith why when hell are you posting an Alonso interview from before the Australian grand prix!

10. More newsworthy than any of these is that McLaren apologized to Red Bull and Webber for the problems on Sunday.

11. Owen Conwell (@skitty4lb) said on 20th March 2013, 16:49

I understand both views in the ‘innate talent’ vs ‘hard work’ debate, but to make things interesting, I’ll remind everybody that Aryton Senna was quoted in saying the his first wet race was rubbish. Completely terrible. Kept spinning off the circuit. So, from then on, every time it rained, he rushed out to the circuit and ran as many laps as he could. So even a man who’s know as being the greatest wet weather specialist in Formula 1, admitted to not having the innate ability to race well in the wet.

Now for his dry weather races? I would definitely learn towards innate ability….

• @skitty4lb – there is no doubt though that Senna had immense natural talent. You could argue that despite the fact his work ethic obviously had a huge influence, not all people could simply go out on track and “learn” to drive on the wet as he did. I certainly couldn’t – my reaction times are awful and I simply wouldn’t be able to compute all the sensory information!

• Owen Conwell (@skitty4lb) said on 21st March 2013, 17:23

Right. I would agree. Senna, like all other drivers of his time, needed to learn how to drive in the wet, but, with his innate driving ability, he was able to adapt better then the average driver. As we saw throughout his career.

I believe that if you are an average person of average intelligence, and you fully commit yourself to a discipline and work at it everyday, you will become extremely talented and good at it. But, some people are naturally gifted at doing certain things better and will always be better at it then the average person. No matter how much they learn or improve. I do believe in innate ability, and I also believe in hard work. Both need to be fully committed to their craft to succeed. But no matter how much effort I put into paying the guitar, I will never be Eric Clapton.

12. I don’t believe in “innate talent”

Ah yes, but you can believe what you want to believe – people still largely ignore scientific evidence, despite the fact it is evidence. “Innate talent” can be defined as our genetic make-up, favouring certain individuals (this is where the “survival of the fittest” idea comes from). If somebody had adapted to have longer legs or faster twitching muscles then obviously they would make a better sprinter, just look at Jamaica to prove this point (for such a small nation they have dominated sprinting these last few years).

So in essence, of course dedication and hard work makes a difference, but it’s worth perhaps a tenth or two compared to the several that the best drivers hold on talent alone.

13. Eric (@rogue12) said on 20th March 2013, 23:21

As an American (and I’m making no claim to cultural elegance) I’ve noticed that European press about F1 is negative and drama-filled. Drivers are constantly lowering expectations on how they will perform, like Alonso is doing in the Sky article, or bickering about this or that. Hamilton does this almost as constantly as he complains about Red Bull cars easily finding quick pace. The expectations lowering comes off as childish and insecure. I once thought that perhaps it’s an indicator of more open emotional expression, which can be frowned on in the U.S., and could just show better communication. But I’m not sure. Observations from long-time fans?

14. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 21st March 2013, 0:02

add me to the chorus disagreeing with the comment of the day. i was among the best technicians in my company, but no amount of hard work was going to enable me to play a guitar.

15. chi-tom (@chi-tom) said on 21st March 2013, 19:26

Back to Hulkenberg’s Melbourne car problem, why wasn’t he given the the #2 car instead, as he’s the #1 driver and should have priority in equipment?